IGNORED

HQ Player

The noise does remain constant, it's just that, for any given combination of filters/modulators there is noticeable noise only with the volume control engaged. Without the volume control engaged I cannot hear any noise with DSD7 fs256+. The noise seems to be generated by the volume control function.

Indeed!.

I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality after disabling the volume control.

My test title for this was the recently discussed Channel Classics "L'Estro Armonico".

BTW. my settings are "poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s" and "ADSM7".

OK, then the problem is likely that it cannot fully initialize and that's why it seems not properly configured. Quit & reboot machine should fix this kind of problem. Sometimes CoreAudio can become messed up and requires reboot.

It is ~/.hqplayer/HQPlayer.xml

If you enable log file it'll be in the same place called HQPlayer.log it may indicate where the problem is.

I should know this by now, but where is the log file on Windows 7?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You may use drag&drop in A+ again, I add tracks this way. In fact while on trial I do not bother to create Library anyway. I didn't have much experience with closed form, poly-sinc family worked well for me, and now I use -2s filters only while upsampling everything to DSD256.

I am comparing new A+ with HQP for second day only and I do not feel I came to any definite conclusion already. I liked the sound from HQP, and I like what I hear now from A+ too. It is different, and somehow I believe the same distinction which was apparent even before I started to use DSD upsampling in both players is still here. A+ has its excellent details reproduction and immediate short-term impression, while HQP gives more subtle and calm, if not restrained impression what may work better long-term.

Just heard of A+, is there a website available with comprehensive information of it, and does it have a network interface?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've just upgraded to the latest version of HQ Player but I'm having a problem.

My Korg DSDAC100m automatically switches from PCM to DSD when it needs to in HQP. Not so my new Topping NX4 DSD DAC; No matter what I do it refuses to automatically switch to DSD from PCM mode. It just plays noise instead.

Mode switching is fine in latest version of Foobar2000 for both DAC's.

Does anyone have any idea of this?

52 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you using ASIO driver / backend? If so, please check that "SDM Pack" is set to "None".

Yes. I've tried the "SDM Pack" setting both ways, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Did you change any other setting when switching to another DAC than the output device?

Other than switching to the appropriate device driver, no.