IGNORED

HQ Player

...not anymore. There's a beta now with support for CoreAudio. I'm expecting to have first non-beta in August.

Oh, that is very exciting! I will finally get to listen to HQPlayer with my Mac systems.

Still, I hope that someday Miska will test and provide (either instructions or a working distro) a means to configure a Mac as an NAA (he tried with me valiantly for about a week some months ago). I think the split architecture (app>Ethernet>NAA) is probably the way to go for best SQ, plus it would allow me to keep my dual-mini headless set-up.

Oh, that is very exciting! I will finally get to listen to HQPlayer with my Mac systems.

Still, I hope that someday Miska will test and provide (either instructions or a working distro) a means to configure a Mac as an NAA (he tried with me valiantly for about a week some months ago). I think the split architecture (app>Ethernet>NAA) is probably the way to go for best SQ, plus it would allow me to keep my dual-mini headless set-up.

Where can we download the version for macs without the need of NAA?

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Thanks for the link to the beta. Unfortunately I could not get it to play properly. PCM would only play out of the left speaker. And silence when attempting to output PCM to DSD.

A lot of settings so it looks like I need to try to track down the proper settings for a Mytek DAC.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

OK, so I have played around with DSD some after auditioning the lil iDSD Nano and rebuilding my DAC in so that I can run two different i2s signals and change with a digital switch. I am now smitten to the point where I did some analog/DSD observations yesterday on the same content. Although different, the DSD is decidedly more analog-esq. There is a bit less attack, but the whole is more cohesive and simply flows more smoothly than PCM. It was plainly easier to relax and "fall into" the music. Much of what I didn't like about DSD disappeared when adjusting settings in HQPlayer (and abandoning JRiver).

My TP Buffalo II/Amanero combo will do up to DSD256 btw.

Can your TP Buffalo II input DSD128 ?

What are your listening observations on PCM converted to DSD64 or DSD128 ?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

There was another thread where Freesteve asked for settings. I ended up discovering my combo after reading the exaSound thread. It would have saved a lot of time if I had seen others settings. On Peter's XXHighend forum, posters put their settings in their signature, maybe that would apply here? Alternately, we could start a thread specifically for HQPlayer hardware/settings combinations. I am thinking it would be not just DSD, but PCM settings as well perhaps- and clearly stated in the title. ;)

Any thoughts on this?

Forrest:

OK, so I have played around with DSD some after auditioning the lil iDSD Nano and rebuilding my DAC in so that I can run two different i2s signals and change with a digital switch. I am now smitten to the point where I did some analog/DSD observations yesterday on the same content. Although different, the DSD is decidedly more analog-esq. There is a bit less attack, but the whole is more cohesive and simply flows more smoothly than PCM. It was plainly easier to relax and "fall into" the music. Much of what I didn't like about DSD disappeared when adjusting settings in HQPlayer (and abandoning JRiver).

That's VERY exciting Forrest! Can you tell us a little more about your particular Amanero set-up and the 2 different I2S configurations you refer to?

Also, what is your i5 computer? (I almost recall you running Win8 on a Mac mini?)

Did your TP Buffalo II/Amanero combo trounce the iDSD Nano by a lot?

Cheers,

ALEX

new buffalo.jpgAlex: TY, but I am not sure one could call this beast exciting. Aesthetically it is a step back for sure. It just a copper/walnut breadboard platform, built almost entirely with stuff I had around. Even the copper was free-some valley flashing I scavenged off a work site.

I've a few i2s devices on hand-- Evo, WaveIO, Amanero and a pair of DIYINHK ones. The white one in the photo has the better DXD than the Amanero, but at 178/192k nothing here can touch my home brew clocked Evo. Just today I received DIYINHK's latest, with DSD and clocking on the clean side of isolation. This whole project was from my being tired of having to break things in order to try something else.

How much difference in sound in comparison to the iDSD Nano? For one as yourself, quite a bit. Then again, the transformers in mine each cost more than the iDSD. Transformers aren't popular in these parts, but the Sabre chips are very well suited for this purpose.

Oh, I am running a regular Windows box, but used to dual boot a mini.

That's VERY exciting Forrest! Can you tell us a little more about your particular Amanero set-up and the 2 different I2S configurations you refer to?

Also, what is your i5 computer? (I almost recall you running Win8 on a Mac mini?)

Did your TP Buffalo II/Amanero combo trounce the iDSD Nano by a lot?

Cheers,

ALEX

Forrest:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13288[/ATTACH]Alex: TY, but I am not sure one could call this beast exciting. Aesthetically it is a step back for sure. It just a copper/walnut breadboard platform, built almost entirely with stuff I had around. Even the copper was free-some valley flashing I scavenged off a work site.

I've a few i2s devices on hand-- Evo, WaveIO, Amanero and a pair of DIYINHK ones. ...

Thanks for the pic and info Forrest. Looks good. How old is your WaveIO? Does it have the newer firmware? You can tell by its support of 352.8/384. Per John Swenson's examinations, all of the currently available XMOS-based USB>I2S DIY boards have a variety of serious design compromises (including that new DIYINHK and the Joro board). The WaveIO and the Swiss ABCpcb Edel are better than most, and of course the Xilinx-based Amanero goes its own way (very cool in its support for direct DSD512--but not for us Mac users--perfect for HQPlayer).

If John and I were not so busy on other big project things, I'd get him to do a really nice, well isolated USB>I2S board. But neither of us are in a position to handle all the DIY support issues that invariably come up--certainly not for what we would want to be an inexpensive product.

Lucian at Luckit in Romania has been promising a new version of WaveIO (to be called Note at last check), but it is a difficult process/time for him.

The old iMac G5 used by one of our sons just broke down last night (leaky electrolytics throughout!), so I may pass along to him my 2010 Core 2 Duo mini and upgrade my music sever to a 2011 or'12 i5 or i7--in preparation for being able to properly run the new OS X HQPlayer. Can really afford this now, but what the heck. I just hope that my 2010 still works after how much I have brutalized it in pieces on my desk this week--measuring and fitting mockups of our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit. Thankfully, computers don't seem to be nearly as static sensitive as they were decades ago. I can be pretty zappy!

Alex: Yes, they are all flawed devices. This whole thing started as a search for the front end on a pcm1704 DAC I was going to build four-five years ago. I am now in a holding pattern in hopes to get DSD/DXD i2s directly out of a Beaglebone or RasPi. This device is simply the proto board while I wait. It is easy to swap and switch w/o wrecking what is working. It is pre drilled for a couple of other regulator boards and has 4 different transformers under the copper associated with the four switches at the front of the unit.

Just last week I sort of gave up and bought an SOtM sMS 100 (upper right) to use as an NAA. In all fairness, the best sounding device here is my M2Tech Evo with shunt PS and my little clock. I really think these buggers are under rated. They are sterile out of the box, but it is obvious that they intended it to be supplemented. Sadly there is no DSD or DXD and I have become, err-umm, smitten.

My WaveIO is an older one, I have debated on sending it back for a retro fit. I was an early adopter, same with my Evo. It was serial number 35. Oh, and the black box on top of the transformers is a powered USB hub. I removed the input power and the 5v is supplied by one of the regulators. The Amanero has no separated power in, and the difference is noticeable.

If you and JS decide to build a board that will do DSD256, count me in!

Forrest:

thanks for sharing your observations, you have made my morning ! Let's us know when you have had a chance to use HQP to upsample DSD64 content to DSD256 using HQP

which noise shaping do you like ? Our current favorite is DSD7

on the hardware side, how much of a difference do you think the I2S brings to the system, and how much difference do the transformers make ? Who is the supplier of the transformers ?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Eurodriver: I am sorry, but I have no DSD64 content to upsample- sorry Edward. Generally I am listening to: poly sinc-2s, DSD7 @ 5.6MHz (DSD128). I have some issue where there is an occasional tick using DSD 256.

I2s is a crap shoot. When it is good, it is great, but I will take good SPDIF over mediocre i2s any day. With that said, I am a convert and will never go back to SPDIF. If anything, I am looking to eliminate USB too and go straight from computer to i2s. The transformers I am using are UTC HA100x- vintage 1:10 mic transformers. These came out of Electric Lady Studio when they closed. The implementation of the transformers is as important as the transformers themselves. I have no active parts in my IV. The current from the Sabre chip goes into a 20ohm resistor pair across the primary, and the output taken directly off of the secondary. Similar to this diagram but using 10 ohm Vishay tx2575 resistors and a 1:10 transformer. I tried it on a lark because I had the transformers around. I had both the Legato and IVY boards, and this trounces them by no small margin. Be forewarned, these are most likely way better than the Sowter and Lundhal one sees so often. The nice thing is that they are appreciating in value. They are often used as MC step-ups.

330R.gif

thanks for sharing your observations, you have made my morning ! Let's us know when you have had a chance to use HQP to upsample DSD64 content to DSD256 using HQP

which noise shaping do you like ? Our current favorite is DSD7

on the hardware side, how much of a difference do you think the I2S brings to the system, and how much difference do the transformers make ? Who is the supplier of the transformers ?

Forrest:

The transformers I am using are UTC HA100x- vintage 1:10 mic transformers.

Shouldn't this I2S hardware discussion be moved to a new thread?

However, I was curious enough to google the UTC HA100x xfmr. The secondary has a 60K impedance. Are you driving a circuit whose input Z is that high? (Please don't reply within this HQ Player thread.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I am not sure where else to answer. The primary is shunted with 20ohms. Your point is taken however.

Shouldn't this I2S hardware discussion be moved to a new thread?

However, I was curious enough to google the UTC HA100x xfmr. The secondary has a 60K impedance. Are you driving a circuit whose input Z is that high? (Please don't reply within this HQ Player thread.)

Forrest:

So I also only getting the left channel. What am I overlooking ... ?

I am having the same problem as I reported here. No idea what I am overlooking.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I reported it... however in my case I only get the left channel with MONO tracks, which is interesting as it had me baffled for a minute when playing a Bill Evans album on which only a couple of the tracks are mono takes.

So I checked several other albums which have mono cuts on them and sure enough sound only comes from the left channel !

I reported it... however in my case I only get the left channel with MONO tracks

A possible solution:

While you are logged into an admin account, open Audio MIDI Setup, click Configure Speakers, click the Multichannel tab, and make sure the popup to its immediate right says Stereo, and make sure the icons below are set to Left = 1 and Right =2. Click Apply.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7