IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi all.

I thought I'd give HQ Player a try, but I can't figure out how to add music to the playlist. I've searched this forum for "Library", "Add", and "Tree" and read the HQ Player User Manual. Nothing's happening. Here's what I'm doing (I'm on a Mac running 10.11.3 with 16GB of memory):

1. Going to File.

2. Picking 'Library'.

3. Finding a folder of music (or a single track).

4. Selecting 'Open'.

Then it returns me to the HQ main display where I wait for about a minute or two until I get a warning chime and nothing.

I've also tried drop and drag. Nothing. I get a green "plus" sign as if the file were going to transfer, but it always "shoots" back to the parent folder.

I would greatly appreciate some insight for what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Dave

Want to lengthen the buffer, to see if occasional stutter is eliminated - but this is greyed out ... how do you manage this?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I don't know exactly if Teac UD-503 supports DSD256 in Linux. However, there is a way to find out: when you employ NAA, if you playback DSD through DoP (check in Settings), then your DAC can only do DSD128.

There is no non-DoP support for TEAC at the moment. In any case, main window can show the available sampling rate options, so if there's possibility of selecting DSD256 frequencies (11.3 MHz) then I'd expect it to work.

I'm going to buy UD-503, but haven't figured out yet where to get it from. I've found couple of places across Europe having it. Including nativedsd.com

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I suspect you are trying to import unsupported content type. What format the content you are trying to import is?

Hi Miska.

Just standard Lossless files: ALAC mainly, few FLAC, few AIFF, even some MP3. Tried one of everything, in folders, out of folders, you name it.

D.

Hi Miska.

Just standard Lossless files: ALAC mainly, few FLAC, few AIFF, even some MP3. Tried one of everything, in folders, out of folders, you name it.

D.

I believe HQPlayer doesn't play ALAC - hope Miska will correct me if I'm wrong. AIFF and FLAC should not be a problem.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ah. There we go. FLAC and AIFF will drag-n-drop. Would explain things though: 98% of my Lossless stuff is ALAC.

You may or may not be interested in Roon, but it's perhaps worth noting that if you use Roon as the front end for HQP, since Roon opens/decodes the files and sends a straight PCM or DSD stream to HQP, HQP can then effectively play back any file format Roon supports, including ALAC.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Speaking of using Roon, when I am in 2 channel mode (i.e using one of my 2 channel DACs in my system,) I use Roon as my front end. Roon sends a 12 song album this way in default(1, 2, 3, 4.....12). No issues. Currently, though, I am setup for multichannel (exaSound e28, etc) and Roon is currently not supporting multichannel playback, so I am forced to do drag-n-drop with my multchannel library and HQplayer. I have used MPD or Kazoo (OpenHome) for multichannel playback and they recognize >10 song albums too, but Hqplayer is my sonic quality go-to, and it does not sort my greater-than-10 song multichannel albums correctly for me (1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3....9) , due to its alphanumeric rules, and the fact that my 1-9 tracks do not have a leading zero!! Argh!

Well, I found a solution via MP3Tag user forum (thank you to Eoghan) that will mass tag your collection to add leading zeros to your track numbers 1-9.

Add all your files. Then ctrl-a in the list of files in the main window, right click, convert, actions, standard (double click on it), new (top right hand side button with the icon of a yellow star on a white page), "Format value" from the drop down (OK), "format field"(Track), then Format String....fill this in

$num(%track%,2)

press OK in the bottom of the actions window, press OK again in the actions groups window, aaaannd you're done. It is saved for later use, too.

OK, so I have this question for Jussi:

I went through the above process to change the tags in my large multichannel library, adding leading zeros to the track number tags. I reloaded an album (Jethro Tull - A Passion Play) and nothing changed. Yet, when I did an extra step of renaming the actual filenames (to include the newly edited track numbers, as track number is a standard part of my filename naming structure) it worked. Does this tell me that HQPlayer is looking in the filename for sorting, not the files tags themselves??

If yes, then folks we need to add one more step to my MP3tag solution...once done, rename the files (a one click effort if you have MP3tag set up to do your standard filenaming).

Edit: I did an experiment and took an album (six tracks, not a track number issue candidate anyway) and simply removed the track numbers from the filename. It imported (drag-dropped) into HQplayer in filename alpha order, yet found the performer and album name via the tags (since they were not in the filename). ?? Why not use the track numbers to sort on if your gonna investigate the tags anyway?

Miska, could you change alphabetic sorting of track numbers to numeric sorting?

Edit: I can confirm Ted's finding. I converted track numbers of an album in MP3TAG so the trailing zeros were added, but file names remained without trailing zeros. Then I used drag&drop to HQPlayer playlist. HQPlayer ordered the tracks alphabetically according to filenames. I expected that HQPlayer will use track number metadata for sorting.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
There is no non-DoP support for TEAC at the moment. In any case, main window can show the available sampling rate options, so if there's possibility of selecting DSD256 frequencies (11.3 MHz) then I'd expect it to work.

I'm going to buy UD-503, but haven't figured out yet where to get it from. I've found couple of places across Europe having it. Including nativedsd.com

Actually, when I play the Teac via Windows, the only way I get do DSD256 is to set DoP to None in HQPlayer...does this mean the Teac won't work on a NAA running Debian Stretch?

Thank you.

Actually, when I play the Teac via Windows, the only way I get do DSD256 is to set DoP to None in HQPlayer...does this mean the Teac won't work on a NAA running Debian Stretch?

It is indication that it would need driver customization to allow DSD256 on Linux. If the exposed PCM rates go only up to 384k, then it is limited to DSD128 on Linux & Mac. With Windows-based NAA you can still get DSD256 since it then uses ASIO driver...

DSD256 with DoP requires DAC to expose 705.6/768k PCM rates.

HQ Player Not Working:

Installed 3.13 version from 3.11, everything worked fine. Restarted computer and HQ Player stopped working. I have all the options under Filter Selections, I have all selections under Noise Shapers, my third column for sample rate only has Auto, even when Auto is not checked under settings, under PCM/DSD/Auto I have only DSD and Auto, and nothing plays anyways.

I went back to 3.11, nothing plays, and under sample rate I have a blank column. Please let me know how to fix this issue. I think I can live with 3.11, unless there is SQ improvements by going to 3.13. I do not need Auto sample rates I up sample everything to DSD128. Thanks.

screen.jpg

Miska, it seems it is TRACKNUMBER, but MP3TAG displays it as Track.

Software which supports not only ID3 may use some common display name of the field.

Mp3tag_Track.png

Left: Foobar2000, right: Mp3tag

I am thinking about if it is at all good idea to sort the tracks, which are added to playlist via drag&drop. They may be already sorted as user wished in the original program the files are dragged from. Maybe they could remain in the same order as when they were selected in the original program. Miska, do you have available the original order of selection, when you process list of dropped files?

Foobar_tracknumber.png

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
I am thinking about if it is at all good idea to sort the tracks, which are added to playlist via drag&drop. They may be already sorted as user wished in the original program the files are dragged from. Maybe they could remain in the same order as when they were selected in the original program. Miska, do you have available the original order of selection, when you process list of selected files?

They are not sorted as such precisely for that reason (only album transports are sorted based on track number metadata)... This is where it gets a bit more complex...

When you D'n'D, this is how things work:

- Set of files dropped -> files are added in the order they are in the drop event

- Folder is dropped -> files are added in alphabetical order of the folder and file names discovered on the tree

For this reason, I always recommend to have files named something like "01-FirstTrack.flac" - like most ripping software do by default, which ensures correct sorting order in Finder/Windows Explorer/whatever file system browser of the OS and in addition files end up in the same order when dragged & dropped on HQPlayer.

On Windows, if you use control-click to multi-select tracks, the order of this action defines the order they later appear as result of drop event...

Installed 3.13 version from 3.11, everything worked fine. Restarted computer and HQ Player stopped working. I have all the options under Filter Selections, I have all selections under Noise Shapers, my third column for sample rate only has Auto, even when Auto is not checked under settings, under PCM/DSD/Auto I have only DSD and Auto, and nothing plays anyways.

I went back to 3.11, nothing plays, and under sample rate I have a blank column. Please let me know how to fix this issue. I think I can live with 3.11, unless there is SQ improvements by going to 3.13. I do not need Auto sample rates I up sample everything to DSD128. Thanks.

Since you are using NAA, possibly rebooting your DAC and the NAA computer helps. This can happen if driver says it doesn't support any sampling rate. Which in turn can happen if some other application is keeping the audio device busy (depending on driver).

If not, please enable Log file in settings and email me the resulting log after restarting HQPlayer. You can find instructions for locating the log file from Troubleshooting-section of the manual.

They are not sorted as such precisely for that reason (only album transports are sorted based on track number metadata)... This is where it gets a bit more complex...

When you D'n'D, this is how things work:

- Set of files dropped -> files are added in the order they are in the drop event

- Folder is dropped -> files are added in alphabetical order of the folder and file names discovered on the tree

For this reason, I always recommend to have files named something like "01-FirstTrack.flac" - like most ripping software do by default, which ensures correct sorting order in Finder/Windows Explorer/whatever file system browser of the OS and in addition files end up in the same order when dragged & dropped on HQPlayer.

On Windows, if you use control-click to multi-select tracks, the order of this action defines the order they later appear as result of drop event...

Interesting, I tried dragging from 2 different programs and I got 2 different behaviors, none as I expected:

1) Windows Explorer

You are right, the order of files is preserved, but only when you dragged the 1st file of the selection. If you have for example 5 files selected and you do drag on the 3rd file, you get this order in HQPlayer playlist: 3,4,5,1,2.

2) Foobar2000 playlist:

Files are sorted according to file names, metadata is ignored.

Since you are using NAA, possibly rebooting your DAC and the NAA computer helps. This can happen if driver says it doesn't support any sampling rate. Which in turn can happen if some other application is keeping the audio device busy (depending on driver).

If not, please enable Log file in settings and email me the resulting log after restarting HQPlayer. You can find instructions for locating the log file from Troubleshooting-section of the manual.

Thanks Miska, that fixed it.