IGNORED

HQ Player

But I think it may only happen when HQPlayer starts after rebooting the Mac Pro and seems to open before the network is fully connected. So I'm not sure I'm wise to have it set as an app to open at login.

OK, that would explain it. Especially if there is WiFi or DHCP in use, it'll take some time for network to come up, and if HQPlayer begins NAA discovery before the network is fully up, the messages are most likely lost or at least the response is delayed enough for the discovery to fail...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Did you install HQPlayer normal way by dragging and dropping it from the DMG file to the Applications -folder and then ejecting the DMG and starting HQPlayer from the OS X Application folder (or LaunchPad/Dock).

Something is preventing HQPlayer from properly writing it's settings to your home folder (/Users/username where "username" is your OS X user id).

Yes that is my normal process (dragging & dropping to Applications from the mounted image). It seems to write and save prefs most of the time - I can change settings, shut down HQP, and then re-open later and it has kept the changes I've made. The loss of prefs and library location only occurs when the program has experienced an issue (a file it can't play for whatever reason) OR when I've shut down HQP, opened Audirvana +, closed A+ out, and then re-opened HQP. The latter often blows HQP's mind. I've tried waited a few minutes between A+ shutdown & HQP starting, to see if A+ is not releasing some necessary audio files. Sometimes a wait helps, a lot of the time it doesn't. My point is HQP can normally read and write it's prefs as it should. BTW, what is the name of HQP's prefs file?

I have seen that Piero of Audiolinux has managed to solve CUDA/Nvidia installation problems. Are you fine now?

Yes...big pain...but Piero was great...hopefully he will include the driver as an option in future builds. I'm getting CUDA with the card...CPU load decreases by about 1.5% with CUDA in Audiolinux. I'm getting about a 1% improvement in Windows 10...can't remember what the difference was on my mac. But it does frequently make a critical difference as to whether HQplayer can handle a file without stuttering at high DSD output.

Interestingly the hqplayer performance in audiolinux at this point isn't as good as windows 10...but we're still working on it. Plays anything to DSD256 with poly-sinc, however...just doesn't get DSD512 like windows does.

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I've continued to do some testing using a Dell Precision T5600 which is a 2xE5 (2.6ghz) 16 core machine with Windows 10 Pro installed. Last week I added a MSI Geoforce GTX-970 CUDA enabled video card to the set up. Obviously always using SDM Pipeline given the multi-core config. I'm doing the testing with IFI micro iDSD and IFI micro iDAC2 DAC's which are both capable of DSD512. I'm using the IFI ASIO driver. I've also run to a Sonicorbiter SE NAA as well with similar results.

Just a quick correction from my earlier post...the IFI micro iDSD does DSD512...but the iDAC2 only goes to DSD256.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Yes...big pain...but Piero was great...hopefully he will include the driver as an option in future builds. I'm getting CUDA with the card...CPU load decreases by about 1.5% with CUDA in Audiolinux. I'm getting about a 1% improvement in Windows 10...can't remember what the difference was on my mac. But it does frequently make a critical difference as to whether HQplayer can handle a file without stuttering at high DSD output.

Interestingly the hqplayer performance in audiolinux at this point isn't as good as windows 10...but we're still working on it. Plays anything to DSD256 with poly-sinc, however...just doesn't get DSD512 like windows does.

Isn't 1.5% improvement very little?!

Isn't 1.5% improvement very little?!

I think there was a discussion about this previously where Jussi weighed in. On both systems I've used it on (Mac Pro and now the 16-core E5) it has made a big difference with regards to what will play. My processors are going at around 20% for DSD512...so its about a 7.5% decrease. At least on my machine that zone right around 20% is critical.

Robert

The loss of prefs and library location only occurs when the program has experienced an issue (a file it can't play for whatever reason) OR when I've shut down HQP, opened Audirvana +, closed A+ out, and then re-opened HQP. The latter often blows HQP's mind.

OK, then the problem is likely that it cannot fully initialize and that's why it seems not properly configured. Quit & reboot machine should fix this kind of problem. Sometimes CoreAudio can become messed up and requires reboot.

BTW, what is the name of HQP's prefs file?

It is ~/.hqplayer/HQPlayer.xml

If you enable log file it'll be in the same place called HQPlayer.log it may indicate where the problem is.

OK, then the problem is likely that it cannot fully initialize and that's why it seems not properly configured. Quit & reboot machine should fix this kind of problem. Sometimes CoreAudio can become messed up and requires reboot.

If you enable log file it'll be in the same place called HQPlayer.log it may indicate where the problem is.

I should know this by now, but where is the log file on Windows 7?

You have to enable "Log file" under Settings for HQP to generate the file.

.... I think. Still don't see it either.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Once you enable logging on HQPlayer settings screen then it will show up under Program Files (x86)/Signalyst/HQplayer/HQplayer.xml (unless you specified a different install directory)

I'll wait till it happens again, but I'm not optimistic that re-booting will fix this. I'll let you know in the future.

Hi, I'm trying to play PCM 192 material up converted to dsd256 via NAA and am getting some stuttering. I can, however, play that same material if the PC is directly attached to my DAC. Does anyone know if gigabit Ethernet is fast enough for DSD256?

my NAA is a Wandboard quad which works fine for dsd128 (and so setup / configuration is not the issue).

Also, I have CUDA enabled on my PC which has a GTX980 card and so I think there is enough horsepower to up convert PCM 192 material to DSD256.

Therefore, I think it's either network bandwidth or perhaps the Wandboard?

anyone successful in streaming DSD256 material to a NAA?

thanks, hammer

Hi, I'm trying to play PCM 192 material up converted to dsd256 via NAA and am getting some stuttering. I can, however, play that same material if the PC is directly attached to my DAC. Does anyone know if gigabit Ethernet is fast enough for DSD256?

my NAA is a Wandboard quad which works fine for dsd128 (and so setup / configuration is not the issue).

Also, I have CUDA enabled on my PC which has a GTX980 card and so I think there is enough horsepower to up convert PCM 192 material to DSD256.

thanks, hammer

I’m using 10/100 fiber adapters between my processing computer and my Cubox-i NAA and can pass DSD512 without any problem…so I don’t think the connection speed is the problem. DSD256 output is no problem...listening to it now.

Robert

I'll wait till it happens again, but I'm not optimistic that re-booting will fix this. I'll let you know in the future.

Miska - a reboot did not restore a "forgotten" library and settings. In this case I was comparing the sound from Audirvana + & HQP. Ran HQP as normal. All OK. Quit HQP. Launched A+, played a few songs. Quit A+. Waited about 30 seconds, launched HQP. Library was blank and all settings at default - even including removal of check mark for a log file. I cannot understand why HQP can read/write settings to prefs and show my library on some occasions, but start up as a "blank canvas" at other times. There isn't even much else running on that Mac Pro - I do most everything other than music on my iMac.

I’m using 10/100 fiber adapters between my processing computer and my Cubox-i NAA and can pass DSD512 without any problem…so I don’t think the connection speed is the problem. DSD256 output is no problem...listening to it now.

Robert

Robert, what do you mean by 10/100? Thank you.

Miska - a reboot did not restore a "forgotten" library and settings. In this case I was comparing the sound from Audirvana + & HQP. Ran HQP as normal. All OK. Quit HQP. Launched A+, played a few songs. Quit A+. Waited about 30 seconds, launched HQP. Library was blank and all settings at default - even including removal of check mark for a log file.

A+ is clearly causing the trouble here that makes something fail in HQPlayer startup. Now when this happens, don't go to change any settings or if you are put to the settings dialog due to device open failure at startup, just click cancel, exit HQPlayer and reboot the computer. Then after reboot, don't run A+ but just start HQPlayer. Most likely everything is intact.

Meanwhile, I recommend not to start HQPlayer after running A+ without rebooting between.

thanks, hammer

Does your DAC support DSD256 in Linux? Most don't. You run Linux on Wandboard.

I suppose your DAC supports DSD256 in Windows which is your OS on your PC, is that right?!

Gigabit ethernet is well enough, if the other components can keep up. The i.MX6 used on CuBox-i and Wandboard maxes out at about 400 Mbps due to bandwidth limitation of the internal data bus. Stereo DSD256 is about 25 Mbps...

What do you run as OS on the WandBoard, Debian? Cabling is CAT-6 or better?

I would say this is most likely related to the NAA device.

Yes, tested here with iFi DACs. Works even with single core 400 MHz ARM9 based NAA device.

Does your DAC support DSD256 in Linux? Most don't. You run Linux on Wandboard.

I suppose your DAC supports DSD256 in Windows which is your OS on your PC, is that right?!

Excellent point. Yes, it works under Windows, but I don't know if my Wandboard running Debian stretch supports DSD256. How can I find out?

thank you.