freesteve

HQ Player

Rate this topic

Hi Miska. I don't have a DAC as such, I'm simply passing the DSD output from my JLSounds I2SoverUSB board through a low pass pass filter. I'm using DSD256 input and have the -3dB point of the LP filter at 80KHz. There is no noise present if I use DSD Direct, only with the volume control engaged?.

What kind of filter is it? Remember that with DSD the noise level is constant regardless of the signal level.

On Sunday I tried HQP 3.10 to see if it made a difference - it didn't - and also experimented with different filter/noise-shaping/data-rate settings - no difference - though I don't thing ASDM5 was one of those I tried. I will try it this evening after work.

Higher order modulators like ASDM7 push more noise from audio band to ultrasonic frequencies to increase dynamic range. But as result the noise outside audio band increases at steeper rate and thus puts more demands to the analog filter.

On another matter, I (and I imagine quite a few others) only use HQP for it's DSD output capability and I would find it really useful to be able to 'lock' the output to 'SDM (DSD)'. At present, if I make any adjustments it defaults back to PCM and it is too easy to forget to reset output to SDM (DSD).

Correct way would be for the device and/or driver tell HQPlayer that the hardware supports only DSD... It is sort of counterintuitive that hardware claims to support PCM while it actually doesn't.

Sure it is possible to implement such lock feature to HQPlayer, but it is an ugly hack from software point of view.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Oh dear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24114[/ATTACH]

That muso version is probably pretty recent? If they keep deleting the file, obviously the number of users in Norton Community using muso will stay low. :D Those reputation scores cause gray hair from time to time, whenever there is a new release fresh out, or when software doesn't have millions of users.

What annoys me is that something like Adobe Flash or Oracle Java are not permanently flagged with bad reputation, although those have the worst security reputation of any widely used software!

Sadly I have yet to be able to get the GTX970 to work with any Linux build (tried Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.10). I'm currently auditioning audio-linix...which is based on arch linux...but that is still a no go as well...but still trying. The Nvidia linux drivers are being really temperamental on my machine.

I have seen that Piero of Audiolinux has managed to solve CUDA/Nvidia installation problems. Are you fine now?

What kind of filter is it? Remember that with DSD the noise level is constant regardless of the signal level.

Higher order modulators like ASDM7 push more noise from audio band to ultrasonic frequencies to increase dynamic range. But as result the noise outside audio band increases at steeper rate and thus puts more demands to the analog filter.

The filter is a simple first order RC.

The noise does remain constant, it's just that, for any given combination of filters/modulators there is noticeable noise only with the volume control engaged. Without the volume control engaged I cannot hear any noise with DSD7 fs256+. The noise seems to be generated by the volume control function.

Correct way would be for the device and/or driver tell HQPlayer that the hardware supports only DSD... It is sort of counterintuitive that hardware claims to support PCM while it actually doesn't.

Sure it is possible to implement such lock feature to HQPlayer, but it is an ugly hack from software point of view.

The JL Sounds I2SoverUSB does support both PCM and DSD and I believe the hardware is working correctly. It's just that I only use it with DSD.

Thanks

Ray

Hi

I don't want to derail any ongoing discussions. I am currently enjoying the trial version of HQP on Windows 10/AObeta and am very encouraged. I will be pressing the purchase button soon.

The PC I am running HQP on is a i7 3770k cpu machine and using some of the more intensive interpolation/filter combinations I get occasional signal dropouts at DSD128 and DSD256 (outputting to a Auralic Vega via a second PC running NAA). Does anyone yet have experience of CUDA offload? Would this likely stop the stuttering/drops?

I am open to adding a suitable GPU but my concern is fan noise. Both my audio PCs have passive heatsinks and are effectively silent and I am worried that a useful CUDA GPU will add lots of cooler noise.

Does anyone have any experience (I guess Miska does!)?

Mark

The noise does remain constant, it's just that, for any given combination of filters/modulators there is noticeable noise only with the volume control engaged. Without the volume control engaged I cannot hear any noise with DSD7 fs256+. The noise seems to be generated by the volume control function.

Indeed!.

I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality after disabling the volume control.

My test title for this was the recently discussed Channel Classics "L'Estro Armonico".

BTW. my settings are "poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s" and "ADSM7".

The filter is a simple first order RC.

That's the problem, DSD by the spec requires minimum fifth order filter... Now you are getting noise folded back to audio band as result of intermodulation. Good thing is that you get just white noise hiss. If you would use filterless NOS PCM ladder instead, you would get intermodulation products of the music (distortion) instead...

How much do you use attenuation with volume control? If you use let's say 20 dB, then the ultrasonic noise vs audio level is 10:1 ratio.

When you have DirectSDM enabled and play PCM content converted to DSD, volume is set to fixed -3 dBFS.

The JL Sounds I2SoverUSB does support both PCM and DSD and I believe the hardware is working correctly. It's just that I only use it with DSD.

The correct solution would be to use your custom USB VID:PID and make driver detect that and tell the system that there is no PCM, only DSD...

Miska,

A couple of questions on the new 3.13.0 release:

1. What kind of fine tuning of DSD7 modulator has been incorporated in the new version?

2. The install file for 3.12.0 was 120 MB whereas the new 3.13.0 is a much leaner 90MB

Though not "large" by any means but earlier versions were also smaller. I had assumed that 3.12.0 got bigger due to support for MQA etc but now the newer version is 25% more compact. Just curious on what goes on under the hood. I am running HQPlayer on Windows.

Regards.

Win10 Transport + Fidelizer 8 + JRMC 25 & HQPlayer | TotalDAC D1 USB Filter | Job INT | Western Electric 12GA | Green Mountain Audio Eos HX

Version 3.13 introduced problems for me. Several files playable in earlier versions (thru 3.12) won't play now - I'm thinking it may have to do with rate switching not always working. I can't predict which files won't play other than DSD files. They play fine under 3.12 ( HQPlayer handling this for my DAC which doesn't have native DSD ability) but won't start under 3.13 . Sampling rate and format type boxes are both on Auto.

A second issue which I continue to have for months now is the app intermittently "forgetting" the location of the library plus all preferences. This can happen when first opening the app or if the player becomes unresponsive and must be re-started. Miska suggested some process interference, but I can find no other process running which would interfere with HQPlayer. He also suggested enabling a log file but when I tried this, but the log file is never created.

Anyone else see either of these issues?

early 2008 Mac Pro > Mapleshade Clearlink USB cable > Exasound e-22 > Audioquest Mackenzie balanced interconnects > Wyred for Sound Mamp dual monoblocks > ProAc Response 1.5 speakers

That's the problem, DSD by the spec requires minimum fifth order filter...

It's not really a problem unless I use the HQP volume control because with DirectSDM it sounds absolutely marvelous and I don't have any audible white noise.

How much do you use attenuation with volume control? If you use let's say 20 dB, then the ultrasonic noise vs audio level is 10:1 ratio.

When you have DirectSDM enabled and play PCM content converted to DSD, volume is set to fixed -3 dBFS....

I did some quick experiments this evening. With the HQP volume control engaged but set to max and using the analogue volume control the result was the same as using DirectSDM - no audible white noise. I also tried ASDM5 but it made no difference.

So my take away is that you can't use the HQP volume control with the simple low-pass filter approach that I'm exploring. I just need to implement a volume control in the analogue domain...

The correct solution would be to use your custom USB VID:PID and make driver detect that and tell the system that there is no PCM, only DSD...

I'm not sure that your not missing the point. There is a lot of hardware out there that can accept both PCM and DSD data and most will work perfectly well at telling HQP what it can accept, presumably my JLSounds board included - in that respect defaulting to PCM as a default is fine, and probably very sensible given that will be the most likely format that people play. What I am talking about is to accommodate a personal choice to only play DSD regardless of what my hardware can accept. As I don't know anything about configuring hardware as you suggest I'll drop a mail to the chaps at JLSounds.

And, thanks as always for taking the trouble to look after us all so well.

Cheers

Ray

This can happen when first opening the app or if the player becomes unresponsive and must be re-started.

Maybe you have set a filter/sample rate combination in Settings, which is too demanding on computer resources and therefore it takes HQPlayer too long time to initialize playback. Try to change your default setting to something less demanding, for example one of 2s filters.

I did some quick experiments this evening. With the HQP volume control engaged but set to max and using the analogue volume control the result was the same as using DirectSDM - no audible white noise. I also tried ASDM5 but it made no difference.

So my take away is that you can't use the HQP volume control with the simple low-pass filter approach that I'm exploring. I just need to implement a volume control in the analogue domain...

You could make the filter a bit more steeper by using for example LCRC filter or similar and keeping the cut-off at somewhat lower frequency. But anyway in your case ASDM5 may give best results.

What I am talking about is to accommodate a personal choice to only play DSD regardless of what my hardware can accept.

HQPlayer remembers the last selected output mode, unless there is an error at startup up that interrupts restoring of the previous state.

I'm not sure that your not missing the point. There is a lot of hardware out there that can accept both PCM and DSD data and most will work perfectly well at telling HQP what it can accept, presumably my JLSounds board included - in that respect defaulting to PCM as a default is fine, and probably very sensible given that will be the most likely format that people play. What I am talking about is to accommodate a personal choice to only play DSD regardless of what my hardware can accept. As I don't know anything about configuring hardware as you suggest I'll drop a mail to the chaps at JLSounds.

Why are you wasting your time (and more importantly Jussi's or Joro's) time with this request?

If you set HQP to DSD playback, then it stays set to DSD for the most part. Occasionally, things get reset to default settings but rarely does this happen and is very simple to correct when it does. If the developers modify their codes to accommodate these petty requests, then they will lead to even more QA testing to make sure that all of the various options work as intended. It is a simple matter to request these things but the consequences can be farther reaching than adding a simple button. Sorry not trying to be a contrarian but these silly types of requests cross the line and waste everyone's time IMHO.

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i5, 4 cores, 16GB RAM, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Goldpoint passive preamp > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala

You could make the filter a bit more steeper by using for example LCRC filter or similar and keeping the cut-off at somewhat lower frequency. But anyway in your case ASDM5 may give best results.

Yes. I was thinking that reverting to the 40KHz -3dB point I was using previously would be a good thing to do.

Ray

Why are you wasting your time (and more importantly Jussi's or Joro's) time with this request?

If you set HQP to DSD playback, then it stays set to DSD for the most part. Occasionally, things get reset to default settings but rarely does this happen and is very simple to correct when it does. If the developers modify their codes to accommodate these petty requests, then they will lead to even more QA testing to make sure that all of the various options work as intended. It is a simple matter to request these things but the consequences can be farther reaching than adding a simple button. Sorry not trying to be a contrarian but these silly types of requests cross the line and waste everyone's time IMHO.

Because I am human and make mistakes - simples.

I'll try to remember to run things by you first in future.

Maybe you have set a filter/sample rate combination in Settings, which is too demanding on computer resources and therefore it takes HQPlayer too long time to initialize playback. Try to change your default setting to something less demanding, for example one of 2s filters.

OK, turns out my first issue with some files not playing was operator error :( I forgot that I had been experimenting with program prefs and I had checked "Auto Rate Family" which did not play nicely with my hardware. Unchecking it returned things to normal.

However, I do still have the second issue - which is HQP occasionally forgetting or throwing out the library and all prefs going back to default. This causes me a five minute shutdown whenever it occurs to re-enter the prefs and re-build the library. I bet it's happened to me more than 30 times.

early 2008 Mac Pro > Mapleshade Clearlink USB cable > Exasound e-22 > Audioquest Mackenzie balanced interconnects > Wyred for Sound Mamp dual monoblocks > ProAc Response 1.5 speakers

However, I do still have the second issue - which is HQP occasionally forgetting or throwing out the library and all prefs going back to default. This causes me a five minute shutdown whenever it occurs to re-enter the prefs and re-build the library. I bet it's happened to me more than 30 times.

Did you install HQPlayer normal way by dragging and dropping it from the DMG file to the Applications -folder and then ejecting the DMG and starting HQPlayer from the OS X Application folder (or LaunchPad/Dock).

Something is preventing HQPlayer from properly writing it's settings to your home folder (/Users/username where "username" is your OS X user id).

I have Norton too. Muso still works fine though despite Norton telling me the same thing.

As the report says, the particular version just doesn't have reputation rating yet because it is new and not many Norton users have used it yet...

Which sounds like a natural thing for a fresh release.

HQPlayer remembers the last selected output mode, unless there is an error at startup up that interrupts restoring of the previous state.

Well it hasn't been doing that for me until I downloaded the latest version this evening - I was about to thank you for introducing it!

Its true that I often get an error on startup because HQPlayer doesn't find my Exasound Playpoint NAA until after its put up the error message: it then displays the Preferences window and by that time it has found the Playpoint. So I just press OK and everything then functions okay except that DSD output has changed to PCM.

Its true that I often get an error on startup because HQPlayer doesn't find my Exasound Playpoint NAA until after its put up the error message: it then displays the Preferences window and by that time it has found the Playpoint.

That indicates some network delay somewhere on the way. HQPlayer waits one second for the NAA to respond, if it takes longer then it is assumed not to be available... One second should be plenty of time.

You could let "ping" run towards PlayPoint for a while and see what kind of latency values are reported and if there are any missed responses.

As the report says, the particular version just doesn't have reputation rating yet because it is new and not many Norton users have used it yet...

Which sounds like a natural thing for a fresh release.

Because Muso take up is quite low I think you'll get this with any of its releases. The only way I could download and install it was to turn off Norton for the duration - a calculated risk and I wouldn't do it for a lot of stuff.

That indicates some network delay somewhere on the way. HQPlayer waits one second for the NAA to respond, if it takes longer then it is assumed not to be available... One second should be plenty of time.

You could let "ping" run towards PlayPoint for a while and see what kind of latency values are reported and if there are any missed responses.

Thanks. I've never 'pinged' but I'll have a go. But I think it may only happen when HQPlayer starts after rebooting the Mac Pro and seems to open before the network is fully connected. So I'm not sure I'm wise to have it set as an app to open at login.