IGNORED

HQ Player

Please help.

Using Sony PHA-3 amp USB to DAC. PCM files play just fine upsampled to 192kHz.

If I select DSD, there's just hiss DSD64 or 128 on any DSD or PCM file. I got Roon to work with PCMOK but DSD is the problem there too.

ATM, Roon is off and HQ player is on its own. Win10 + HQPlayer 3.12.0.

Does the Sony support ASIO?

If not then I think you may need to enable "DoP" under the SDM Pack drop down menu.

You may also need to increase Buffer time from 5ms ...

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

If not then I think you may need to enable "DoP" under the SDM Pack drop down menu.

Regards.

Yes the Sony supports Asio otherwise hqplayer would not accept. Dop also hisses

If I play a DSD file and select Pcm the song plays double speed .

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Yes the Sony supports Asio otherwise hqplayer would not accept. Dop also hisses

If I play a DSD file and select Pcm the song plays double speed .

Double speed ... that happened to me sometimes, when I started other player while HQPlayer was running, but not playing anything. Thein it helped to go to Settings (in HQPlayer) and to confirm [OK] without any change.

HQPlayer doesn't like if the connected DAC is disconnected or turned off/on. Then I have to go to Settings and to confirm OK.

With ASIO driver you probably installed also some ASIO Control Panel. It could show bitrate actually sent to DAC and it may contain some other settings too.

I got hiss like you only when SDM Pack was not correctly set (DoP or None) or when incorrect DSD bitrate was set.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Roon gets just a number, they beautify it to the shown form on their side.

Thanks - I'll suggest it to Roon. Actually it's not quite as I described it as the behaviour changes with PCM depending on whether you have Auto Family checked: it says 'DSD256' if 88.2 is processed with Auto rate Family checked, and '12288kHz' if Auto rate Family is not checked. This is with Poly-sinc/ASDM7.

I've thought about it, but it doesn't actually fit there. On some OS and some display/font size settings it would fit, but for example for me on Linux with 4K display it doesn't fit and I'm reluctant to make the information boxes larger because it immediately cuts out one line of space from library or playlist views. I rather just fit it on the same format line.

If you use latest Roon builds with HQPlayer, the active rate is actually reported there... ;)

Edit: I changed it to look like this a bit of fitting exercise, is this better than before?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24014[/ATTACH]

That's super...thanks Jussi.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

Thanks - I'll suggest it to Roon. Actually it's not quite as I described it as the behaviour changes with PCM depending on whether you have Auto Family checked: it says 'DSD256' if 88.2 is processed with Auto rate Family checked, and '12288kHz' if Auto rate Family is not checked. This is with Poly-sinc/ASDM7.

Sounds like they 44.1-base rates are reported as "DSDx" and 48-base ones as just plain rate. So it is still possible to make distinction between the two.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

As long as there is metadata inside the file, the directory naming doesn't matter...

Now here you see the problem, you have multiple albums of same artist and same album name. Here, double-click the cell where the album name is, and add for example "01" to the end and hit enter, repeat for each of those albums. Then exit the dialog by clicking OK to save the modified library data...

This problem is fully resolved, now.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi all, I'm having a few issues with my HqPlayer/Roon setup. I have a top of the line i7 iMac with plenty of ram running osx. I have got the roon hqplayer integration working fine although I am having some periodic scrambling problems. My library is mostly redbook with a few things in HQ > all of which i am resampling to double DSD - my processor should(hopefully) be more than unto the job and the activity monitor certainly doesn't have a problem and I'm running the files of SSD. Every few songs the something scrambles and i get digital hash and or stuttering coming out the speakers. The strange thing is this seem to be fixed if I click back onto hqplayer as the main window on my desktop. The problem often starts when the display goes to sleep or screensaver comes on. I have disabled sleep and hard drive sleep modes yet still having issues even whilst using the machine for basic web browsing with music playing in the background. Any advice is appreciated.

Im streaming via usb to my Moon 430HA D, double dsd over DOP

Regards.

Double speed ... that happened to me sometimes, when I started other player while HQPlayer was running, but not playing anything. Thein it helped to go to Settings (in HQPlayer) and to confirm [OK] without any change.

HQPlayer doesn't like if the connected DAC is disconnected or turned off/on. Then I have to go to Settings and to confirm OK.

With ASIO driver you probably installed also some ASIO Control Panel. It could show bitrate actually sent to DAC and it may contain some other settings too.

I got hiss like you only when SDM Pack was not correctly set (DoP or None) or when incorrect DSD bitrate was set.

The Sony Driver was removed - rebooted - reinstalled, heh the three R's of computing, and HQPlayer now plays DSD hiss free.

Thanks to all that responded!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The strange thing is this seem to be fixed if I click back onto hqplayer as the main window on my desktop. The problem often starts when the display goes to sleep or screensaver comes on. I have disabled sleep and hard drive sleep modes yet still having issues even whilst using the machine for basic web browsing with music playing in the background. Any advice is appreciated.

This shouldn't happen anymore in the latest 3.13 beta or the upcoming 3.13 release.

You need 64-bit OS version, and thus you need the "amd64" packages.

You need following:

libasound2-data_1.0.27.2-3.1jl2_all.deb

libasound2_1.0.27.2-3.1jl2_amd64.deb

linux-headers-3.13.0-76_3.13.0-76.120jl35_all.deb

linux-headers-3.13.0-76-lowlatency_3.13.0-76.120jl35_amd64.deb

linux-image-3.13.0-76-lowlatency_3.13.0-76.120jl35_amd64.deb

Notice the 76.120jl35 is the latest kernel. There are fairly frequent kernel updates, so it is good to stay up to date on that front.

At some point when I find time I'll try to setup a proper package repository, then you can get updates automatically.

Jussi,

I'm still struggling with getting the native DSD support installed on my linux machine. I downloaded the LTS version of Ubuntu Studio 14.04.3 It appears that the kernal that is installed is Linux 3.19.0-25-low latency (x86_64). Was this not the correct version of Ubuntu Studio? Not sure how to reconcile that with the 3.13.0-76 that you have listed.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I downloaded the LTS version of Ubuntu Studio 14.04.3 It appears that the kernal that is installed is Linux 3.19.0-25-low latency (x86_64). Was this not the correct version of Ubuntu Studio? Not sure how to reconcile that with the 3.13.0-76 that you have listed.

Maybe they have afterwards changed it, 3.19 is from the Ubuntu 14.10... 3.13 kernel is the official 14.04 LTS one. You can replace the original with my 3.13.

Alternatively you can take the Ubuntu Studio 15.10 or wait for the next upcoming LTS version 16.04, for those you don't need to install any replacement packages, installing HQPlayer alone is enough.

Thanks for all the help on "auto" explanations. My multichannel setup (HQP into NAA into exaSound e28) now uses "auto family", "auto" sample rate and SDM for format, so my max of 6.1Mhz (from 5.1 testing it's as far as I can go hiccup-free without a bigger cpu with upsampled mch content) instructs all PCM multichannel content to be upsampled to DSD at either 5.6Mhz or 6.1Mhz appropriately, and my DirectSDM setting allows for my DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 multichannel content to be played back flawlessly in its original state. Very nice! Thanks to Jussi for the work, and folks like Bogi et al for the explanations of these new auto settings. No feedback on beta7 with Roon currently as it doesn't play in the multichannel world...yet. :)

Thanks, I think I might be giving up on Linux for the time being. I've spent several days trying to get just one driver to install for my new graphics card so I can use CUDA, no luck. I'm afraid I'm too much of a Mac user... took me 10 minutes to install a new graphics card update the driver, install Cuda, and get it to work. You pay a premium for that apple control but it does make things easy and works in the end. Maybe I'll retreat to Windows 10 on this machinr until the official ubuntu 16 release is out... hopefully that will also play better with Nvidia drivers.

Robert

Thanks, I think I might be giving up on Linux for the time being. I've spent several days trying to get just one driver to install for my new graphics card so I can use CUDA, no luck. I'm afraid I'm too much of a Mac user... took me 10 minutes to install a new graphics card update the driver, install Cuda, and get it to work. You pay a premium for that apple control but it does make things easy and works in the end. Maybe I'll retreat to Windows 10 on this machinr until the official ubuntu 16 release is out... hopefully that will also play better with Nvidia drivers.

You don't need to install CUDA, just the official nVidia display drivers.

Win10 is probably easier to install, you need the OS and nVidia drivers from here:

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

(you can get also Linux drivers from the same place)

The normal Ubuntu Desktop version also offers the official nVidia driver install, but 16.04 probably comes with much more recent drivers, set to be released Apr 21st.

Ubuntu Studio is much more bare bones than normal Ubuntu Desktop. If you still have patience left you could try the normal 15.10 from here:

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Usually it offers the official nVidia drivers for installation when it detects nVidia GPU, but I have not checked how recent the offered driver is. The 900-series cards are pretty fresh, so those need also fresh drivers.

You don't need to install CUDA, just the official nVidia display drivers.

Win10 is probably easier to install, you need the OS and nVidia drivers from here:

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

(you can get also Linux drivers from the same place)

The normal Ubuntu Desktop version also offers the official nVidia driver install, but 16.04 probably comes with much more recent drivers, set to be released Apr 21st.

Ubuntu Studio is much more bare bones than normal Ubuntu Desktop. If you still have patience left you could try the normal 15.10 from here:

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Usually it offers the official nVidia drivers for installation when it detects nVidia GPU, but I have not checked how recent the offered driver is. The 900-series cards are pretty fresh, so those need also fresh drivers.

Thanks, I'll give 15.10 a shot. I'm also going to take a look at audiolinux as another alternative. Really Don't like working with MS OS's so I'm going to try to have another go or two at linux...I know some unix...because of working with OSX since the beginning...but I'm just not familiar with linux.

Robert

Thanks, I'll give 15.10 a shot. I'm also going to take a look at audiolinux as another alternative. Really Don't like working with MS OS's so I'm going to try to have another go or two at linux...I know some unix...because of working with OSX since the beginning...but I'm just not familiar with linux.

Robert

Ok, I did a clean install of 15.10 and updated to the latest version. I went into software and Updates and went to the proprietary driver tab. I selected "Using NVIDIA binary driver-version 352.63 from nvidia-352 (proprietary, tested) and hit apply changes. I then restarted the machine. When I go to the NVIDIA X Server Settings it says it is using 352.63. This is the driver from December and is both GTX970 and CUDA compatible.

However, if I try to install CUDA-Z it says that no CUDA compatible devices are found. Likewise when I install HQplayer 3.13.0_beta7, check SDM pipeline and CUDA enabled, restart HQplayer and then try to play music it says offload=resampler=disabled. When I have tried to download the NVIDIA driver directly from them and update I end up with a machine that won't boot in 14.04...I've tried several different procedures and all failed the same way...end up having to do a clean install...so I'm a little hesitant to try anything again without some who knows what they are doing.

Any suggestions?

Robert

The Sony Driver was removed - rebooted - reinstalled, heh the three R's of computing, and HQPlayer now plays DSD hiss free.

Thanks to all that responded!

**Two Thumbs Up**

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I've just built a 'no-DAC' decoder project; just a basic low-pass filter based build using a JLSounds USB board. It's my second such project but rather more refined than the first 'prototype'.

Unlike the 'prototype' which had an Alps potentiometer for volume control, the new build has no analogue volume control as I'm planning to use the HQPlayer volume control. One of the first things I noticed with playback on the new project was a mushy, white noise background sound. I reinstalled my 'prototype' and disabled the HQPlayer volume control and the mush disappeared. Setting the Alps pot to max and using the HQPlayer volume control (DSD Direct ticked) the mush returns? So on two different playback devices I get the background mush. The mush is only present with HQP volume control enabled and during playback and doesn't seem to very in level (it gets masked at louder volumes and is most noticeable during quiet passages).

For completeness, I am upsampling 16bit 44.1KHz PCM files (CD rips) to DSD256 (1228800) using poly-sinc-2s and DSD256+fs. Upsampling is on a workstation running Win10 with output streamed to an NAA device over a dedicated Ethernet link. HQP version is 3.12.0 (I have just updated from 3.11). Thoughts?

Changing the subject a little, I am using a muting relay, triggered by the Codec header pin on the JLSounds USB board, to try and eliminate pops and clicks. On my 'prototype' project with HQP 3.11, I wasn't getting any extraneous noises. Now, with both of my playback projects and HQP 3.12.0, I am getting loud pops whenever I use the 'Play' or 'Stop' functions in HQP - the mute circuit is working, I can hear it clicking with no power amps turned on and have checked the voltages across the relay coil, but it seems to be reacting too slowly as if the trigger isn't reading far enough ahead? Any thoughts on how to mitigate this?

Thanks

Ray

Great stuff Ray! HQPlayer looks to talk to the DAC chip normally.

I wonder what happens now that there is no DAC chip at all.

What Volume Settings (max and min values) did you use and what do you specify for "DAC Bits"?

Great stuff Ray! HQPlayer looks to talk to the DAC chip normally.

I wonder what happens now that there is no DAC chip at all.

What Volume Settings (max and min values) did you use and what do you specify for "DAC Bits"?

HQP is 'talking' to the JLSounds I2SoverUSB board.

I tried a variety of volume settings but didn't note specific values as the result was consistent until I returned to DSD Direct mode.

'DAC Bits' is set to 'default'

Ray