IGNORED

HQ Player

Simple one: Why is it that when I try to play PCM on HQ Player after playing DSD128 I can't get any sound? Have a Mytek DSD192 hooked up w/ Firewire. Need to turn some stuff off in preferences?

Mytek cannot do PCM correctly in 2wire mode, only DSD64/DSD128. So if you want to go to PCM output mode you need to disable 2wire in HQPlayer settings. This is not a problem though if you upsample PCM to DSD128, because then you can stick to DSD mode and never leave it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Mytek cannot do PCM correctly in 2wire mode, only DSD64/DSD128. So if you want to go to PCM output mode you need to disable 2wire in HQPlayer settings. This is not a problem though if you upsample PCM to DSD128, because then you can stick to DSD mode and never leave it.

With my 'feeble' Win8.1 computer I've been pretty successfully upsampling PCM to DSD128. Though today I noted a few dropouts in extended play using the poly-ext filter - and that is with a 250mS buffer. My question is for Mytek users: What hardware DSD filter are you using for DSD upsampling? The 50KHz, 70KHz or 90KHz? Not sure there is any audible difference, but am using the 50KHz hardware DSD filter.

With my 'feeble' Win8.1 computer I've been pretty successfully upsampling PCM to DSD128. Though today I noted a few dropouts in extended play using the poly-ext filter - and that is with a 250mS buffer. My question is for Mytek users: What hardware DSD filter are you using for DSD upsampling? The 50KHz, 70KHz or 90KHz? Not sure there is any audible difference, but am using the 50KHz hardware DSD filter.

Mine is a Sabre based dac with 50k,60k,70k filter and I have never been able to hear any difference. I wonder why they include those filters since I have never read that anyone can hear a difference?

Mine is a Sabre based dac with 50k,60k,70k filter and I have never been able to hear any difference. I wonder why they include those filters since I have never read that anyone can hear a difference?

The difference is pretty small. 50 kHz gives the lowest ultrasonic noise level while 70 kHz gives cleanest transient response. I use 50 kHz setting and that's what I would recommend...

so today i turned on the computers and lo and behold, the NAA connects just fine.

i quite literally changed nothing, aside from turning the computer off and back on after i went to bed it just worked. problem solvered i guess?

Just a guess...rebooting the computer might have been what was needed.

Bold is mine.

+1

It's is a long time I listen everything under DSD.

Roch

I'm not tech savvy so I just listen to my music through HQ Player without tweaks (except for upsampling everything to 24/192). I've noticed some distortion with some of my music. Anyone else had that problem and if so what can be done to eliminate it? The same music played in JRiver is distortion free.

I'm not tech savvy so I just listen to my music through HQ Player without tweaks (except for upsampling everything to 24/192). I've noticed some distortion with some of my music. Anyone else had that problem and if so what can be done to eliminate it? The same music played in JRiver is distortion free.

That's because JRiver as well as foobar2000, limits all PCM to 24/48.

Try a lower PCM sampling rate, such as 176.4 kHz. That might eliminate your problem.

That's because JRiver as well as foobar2000, limits all PCM to 24/48.

Don't understand this comment - there is no such limitation in JRiver *or* foobar2000?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi again,

... With reference to #3770 & #3774 today I experienced just about 30 secs of uninterrupted playback at dsd128 ... Unfortunately, my headphone was not connected in both channels so I didn't have a chance to hear both channels playing ... And when I reconnected things (incl. the Amanero USB connection & restart of HQPlayer) the stuttering sound was there again .... So I suppose something odd is going on here ...

Additionally, when I reconnected my other amanero based DAC (PCM - different Amanero board) to my computer the right channel no longer plays - it is completely silent even if I've restarted the computer several times .. I've tried to switch the headphone channels and it isn't the headphone that has a fault. And it doesn't matter if I use foobar or HQPlayer. The right channel remains silent. And I don't assume it's the DAC either as I used it yesterday evening where it worked fine in both channels and it has been switched on since then ... And I also haven't changed any settings elsewhere ...

What may have happened here (frustrated I admittedly am)? Help really is appreciated....

If your CPU has HyperThreading, IOW shows 4 CPUs on a machine with two cores, then 50% is about full load. Because HyperThreading cores don't help much on HQPlayer loads. You can use Windows resource monitor to check that none of the cores exceed about 75% load level while playing.

When opening Windows "resource - surveillance" - don't know the name in English - it shows that when I first click a track to be played all 4 cores are at 100% load and when playback starts typically core 0 and 3 drops to around 0% load whereas cores 1 & 2 are more or less stable at 50% load. Does this make sense?

By the way, have you checked the driver buffer size from it's ASIO control panel (I don't now remember if Amanero had such), or alternatively tried changing "Buffer time" setting in HQPlayer to 100 ms?

When I try to open such a control panel from HQPlayer it doesn't open so I assume the Amanero doesn't have an ASIO control panel ...

Best regards & hope for help with this,

Jesper

I must be missing something simple, but ever since I rebuilt my mini with El Capitan, I get no sound out of HQ Player 3.1x.

A+, Jriver 21 work fine.

I'm performing PCM > DSD 128. I can hear a click/pop when I stop/start a song but no sound. The gui shows the song playing as well.

I also noticed that in resource mgr the CPU load seems pretty light (non existent), which seems different from what it used to be with 3.x/mavericks (e.g. cpu cores were clearly working).

Ideas?

My rig

I must be missing something simple, but ever since I rebuilt my mini with El Capitan, I get no sound out of HQ Player 3.1x.

A+, Jriver 21 work fine.

I'm performing PCM > DSD 128. I can hear a click/pop when I stop/start a song but no sound. The gui shows the song playing as well.

I also noticed that in resource mgr the CPU load seems pretty light (non existent), which seems different from what it used to be with 3.x/mavericks (e.g. cpu cores were clearly working).

Ideas?

Is your DAC showing up and selected in HQ Player's preferences?

And is your HQP volume control dial turned up to 100%?

Yes as far as I recall. I don't remember what the volume control fields are set to in the settings options, but the wheel is turned to about ~4 o'clock. New install and mainly default settings

My rig

The right channel remains silent. And I don't assume it's the DAC either as I used it yesterday evening where it worked fine in both channels and it has been switched on since then ... And I also haven't changed any settings elsewhere ...

Rebooting the DAC may help. Usually easiest way to to do it is to disconnect USB and power down the DAC before reconnecting USB.

When opening Windows "resource - surveillance" - don't know the name in English - it shows that when I first click a track to be played all 4 cores are at 100% load and when playback starts typically core 0 and 3 drops to around 0% load whereas cores 1 & 2 are more or less stable at 50% load. Does this make sense?

Yes, looks sensible and the way it should be.

When I try to open such a control panel from HQPlayer it doesn't open so I assume the Amanero doesn't have an ASIO control panel ...

Yes, then modifying buffer size by changing "Buffer time" setting in HQPlayer could help. 100 ms is good value to begin with.

@Miska:

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by evalonviewpost-right.pngThe right channel remains silent. And I don't assume it's the DAC either as I used it yesterday evening where it worked fine in both channels and it has been switched on since then ... And I also haven't changed any settings elsewhere ...

Rebooting the DAC may help. Usually easiest way to to do it is to disconnect USB and power down the DACbefore reconnecting USB.

Thanks again for suggesting Jussi ... As it is my DAC is not that easy to power off - it's got 10 separate battery power supplies that are more or less hardwired to the circuitry so I'd rather not have to power down everything. I've had the DAC fully powered up for almost a year without any issues and checking the voltages this morning indicated that everything appears to be as it should be.

However, it was accessible to remove all power from the Amanero combo384 and thus reset this part of the system this morning. I also disconnected and reconnected the USB cable (even if it happens automatically). No change unfortunately - there's still no sound in one of the channels. I've also tried to uninstall and re-install the Amanero driver (1.056), the ASIO driver (?) and it makes no difference - still no sound in one channel.

I also tried listening to the headphone output on my laptop both via the foobar 2000 and the HQPlayer (NVidia Codec) and here there's sound in both channels.

So I'm puzzled as to what is going on here & what can be done to amend it ... Any suggestions? Might something have gone astray the way HQPlayer (or foobar?) interacts with the combo384 ??? Never had this issue before ...

Best regards,

Jesper

Remembering that I have a P.S. to this post: If I am to buy a faster processor is it then more important to have: 1. More cores (4 vs 2) + 6 MB cache RAM & 2.2 GHz base frequency or 2. Fewer cores (2 vs 4), 4 MB cache RAM & 3 GHz base frequency?

Have you tried reflashing/updating the firmware?

Firmware instructions

@Miska:

Thanks again for suggesting Jussi ... As it is my DAC is not that easy to power off - it's got 10 separate battery power supplies that are more or less hardwired to the circuitry so I'd rather not have to power down everything. I've had the DAC fully powered up for almost a year without any issues and checking the voltages this morning indicated that everything appears to be as it should be.

However, it was accessible to remove all power from the Amanero combo384 and thus reset this part of the system this morning. I also disconnected and reconnected the USB cable (even if it happens automatically). No change unfortunately - there's still no sound in one of the channels. I've also tried to uninstall and re-install the Amanero driver (1.056), the ASIO driver (?) and it makes no difference - still no sound in one channel.

I also tried listening to the headphone output on my laptop both via the foobar 2000 and the HQPlayer (NVidia Codec) and here there's sound in both channels.

So I'm puzzled as to what is going on here & what can be done to amend it ... Any suggestions? Might something have gone astray the way HQPlayer (or foobar?) interacts with the combo384 ??? Never had this issue before ...

Best regards,

Jesper

Remembering that I have a P.S. to this post: If I am to buy a faster processor is it then more important to have: 1. More cores (4 vs 2) + 6 MB cache RAM & 2.2 GHz base frequency or 2. Fewer cores (2 vs 4), 4 MB cache RAM & 3 GHz base frequency?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz