IGNORED

HQ Player

Warning - Tech Challenged CA member seeking advice, again

New Mac Mini 2.6 GHz, SSD and 16GB RAM just arrived.

Not sure what to do...Want to install HQ Player on the new one ("A") and possibly use old 2011 Mini as NAA ("B"), as I understand from the stuff I have read on this thread (probably have a 30% capture rate on what gets discussed on CA...being generous to myself), feeding my Mytek from an NAA computer B not doing the up conversion to DSD will sound better/cleaner as processor noise in left behind on the computer A doing the conversion.

Steps are:

1) Install HQ Player on A

2) Install NAA Daemon on B (not sure what a daemon is, guessing it is software that facilitates incoming data and sends it to DAC)

3) Hook A to B with an ethernet cable

So, how best to do this?

Copy stuff on B to A or download using license info on B?

Should I erase or uninstall stuff on B? Have PM and A+ on B, as well.

Appreciate your assistance and patience...

I'm about 10 years too old to qualify as having grown up with this tech stuff. At B school, our computer class used punch cards, and one of my classmates (who eventually started a company called mail.com) was all pumped in entrepreneurship class about this new deal called digital discs..."you could have a copy of the Bible on one of these skinny shiny things".

Tone with Soul

Not sure what to do...Want to install HQ Player on the new one ("A") and possibly use old 2011 Mini as NAA ("B"), as I understand from the stuff I have read on this thread (probably have a 30% capture rate on what gets discussed on CA...being generous to myself), feeding my Mytek from an NAA computer B not doing the up conversion to DSD will sound better/cleaner as processor noise in left behind on the computer A doing the conversion.

Steps are:

2) Install NAA Daemon on B (not sure what a daemon is, guessing it is software that facilitates incoming data and sends it to DAC)

So, how best to do this?

I'm about 10 years too old to qualify as having grown up with this tech stuff. At B school, our computer class used punch cards, and one of my classmates (who eventually started a company called mail.com) was all pumped in entrepreneurship class about this new deal called digital discs..."you could have a copy of the Bible on one of these skinny shiny things".

First of all, whichever Mini you use for the NAA will need to have at least OSX 10.9 installed. I assume the 2011 will handle 10.9. If that's the case, then:

I would use the newest and most powerful Mini to run HQ Player. That's the software that needs a license. The NAA is free. Download it to your older Mini, connect your DAC, double click NAA and it will open in the Terminal app. Connect both computers to your network via ethernet cable, and you should be good to go. Please note thatit may take some time for the two computers to "see" each other over the network. Usually if you give them five minutes or so after startup, they will both be recognized. Make sure File Sharing is enabled on both.

I do not think you can connect the two Macs directly to each other with an ethernet cable and have the NAA work--at least it didn't used to wortk that way. It's also complicated to get the two Macs to see each other with a direct connection and requires a little fiddling in Network Preferences. Just connect them both to your home network and it should work fine.

You do not need to remove the other playback apps, so you can compare them with HQ Player if you want.

You might also try connecting DAC directly to the HQ Player Mini, and see how it sounds. I actually prefer it to using the NAA on a fully-loaded computer or PC. I have not tried a minimal box like CuBox for the NAA, but would like to soon.

Thanks zackthedog.

Thought the Minis could be connected with ethernet cable and have the higher CPU one do the heavy lifting and the other serve as NAA?

Also, already have licenses for HQ Player, along with A+ and PM. Not sure what the deal is with installing them on the new Mini? Only going to use the software on one computer as only have one audio system in my house.

Tone with Soul

Thanks zackthedog.

Thought the Minis could be connected with ethernet cable and have the higher CPU one do the heavy lifting and the other serve as NAA?

Also, already have licenses for HQ Player, along with A+ and PM. Not sure what the deal is with installing them on the new Mini? Only going to use the software on one computer as only have one audio system in my house.

I've forgotten how you re-install a license. You'll need to remove it from the old Mini and iinstall it on the new one. I think you get a little file in your email when you register--or is that JRiver? ;-)

You can connect two Minis with an ethernet cable but I *don't think* HQ Player will recogniize the NAA that way. I believe the NAA computer has to have a network IP address, but I could be wrong. I tried it this way and got it to wwork a few times but not consistently. But you can try it and see.

Does anyone prefer the sound of Closed Loop over Polysinc ?

Let's just assume I'm learning disabled because I have followed this thread and still don't understand what is "Closed Loop". I have read each post and don't get it? I have only one new filter in v3.10 and it is poly-sinc ext. I happen to like what that filter does but that does not explain the closed loop comments.

Could someone please explain in plain English what all the talk is about "closed loop"? I see no setting like that in the Windows version.

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

It's at the bottom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21458[/ATTACH]

Thanks for clearing that up. I just never noticed it in settings. I tried closed form and I do not like it at all. It does use higher resources but I would accept that if I liked the sound. As it happens I don't care for it at all. The new poly ext I do like a lot.

Steps are:

So, how best to do this?

57, Please go to signalyst.com -> Consumer, at the the end of the page you will find:

Networ Audio Daemon.jpg

Download the one for your OS and copy it to the second Mac Mini.

You need a router with and internet connection.

Hook your first Mac Mini (Where HQ P runs) to the router.

Hook your second Mac Mini to the router.

Run Network Audio Daemon on the second Mac Mini.

Run HQ P on your first Mac Mini, go to Preferences and choose NetworkAudioAdpter, then choose your DAC. You are ready!

In my case I'm running the Windows Network Audio Daemon in a Windows Laptop, where previously I installed the Window ASIO drivers for my DAC. Running HQ P on a Mac. Connected both PCs the same way to router. Why? Because I like to play native DSD and not DoP.

I'm not a wise computer guy, but a close friend yes :)

Good luck,

Roch

Thank you Roch for opposing Miska, Miska be praised for providing a filter you don't really like yourself.

Closed form is now my choice for DSD 2 2XDSD

I still, much, favor poly sinc, for upsampling PCM to 352 or 384 k

I don't do PCM to DSD anymore and have not evaluated Closed form under that request

To whom it may concern, here is attached my Preferences as of today

btw :

I am always amazed to hear how my modest DAC reveals differences and wonder if someone possessing the TEAC could share his opinion about how much difference there is with a much more expensive DAC vs the differences the TEAC reveals just by change of settings

As of the DSF/DSDIFF settings, I understand it works only when converting PDM (understand SACD stuff) to PCM. Hence I guess I can put whatever there since I don't need to do this, my DAC offering native DSD capabilities.

However, I can't check Direct SDM if I want to play DSD files...

Because I need to go through DOP ?

Is there a way to get HQP to automatically switch between my active configurations depending on the source ?

Capture d’écran 2015-10-11 à 09.31.30.jpg

I love the Closed Loop !

Roch

Closed form is now my choice for DSD 2 2XDSD

I still, much, favor poly sinc, for upsampling PCM to 352 or 384 k

I don't do PCM to DSD anymore and have not evaluated Closed form under that request

However, I can't check Direct SDM if I want to play DSD files...

Because I need to go through DOP ?

Is there a way to get HQP to automatically switch between my active configurations depending on the source ?

DirectSDM (no DSP or any upsampling, etc) is all or nothing for DSD files, whether they be DSD64, DSD128, etc. So if you want to use closed form when upsampling DSD 2 2XDSD you can't do DirectSDM. Choose one or the other. It has nothing to do with whether your DAC does ASIO or DoP.

So, whether you do DirectSDM or Closed Form upsampling, once you decide HQP will automatically use those defaults when it sees a DSD file, and use the poly sinc

384K upsampling defaults for when it sees a PCM file.

57, Please go to signalyst.com -> Consumer, at the the end of the page you will find:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21459[/ATTACH]

Download the one for your OS and copy it to the second Mac Mini.

You need a router with and internet connection.

Hook your first Mac Mini (Where HQ P runs) to the router.

Hook your second Mac Mini to the router.

Run Network Audio Daemon on the second Mac Mini.

Run HQ P on your first Mac Mini, go to Preferences and choose NetworkAudioAdpter, then choose your DAC. You are ready!

In my case I'm running the Windows Network Audio Daemon in a Windows Laptop, where previously I installed the Window ASIO drivers for my DAC. Running HQ P on a Mac. Connected both PCs the same way to router. Why? Because I like to play native DSD and not DoP.

I'm not a wise computer guy, but a close friend yes :)

Good luck,

Roch

Ihave a router, gut it is in a separate room hooked up to two desktops that are family usage ones, one in use by boy playing game so Mom checks her email on other...it also provides wifi to home for devices including my music Mac Mini that I use headless so I screen share with my Macbook Pro (used to use an iPad, but the screen share works better at dropping and dragging to HQ Player).

So you recommend that I get ANOTHER router? What a pain in the cojones...

Which one?

Why does it need internet if both Mini's have wifi? I do not have a hard wire internet hook up in the music room...do I need it or do I go wireless from connected router?

Or would this be a way to turn off Mini wifi and scream share through the network?

Waiting on Jussi to let me know how to use my March 2015 license for Player on new Mac. Anybody else know what I need to copy from one to the next?

Tone with Soul

not quite sure it works that way with my DAC but thank you

DirectSDM (no DSP or any upsampling, etc) is all or nothing for DSD files, whether they be DSD64, DSD128, etc. So if you want to use closed form when upsampling DSD 2 2XDSD you can't do DirectSDM. Choose one or the other. It has nothing to do with whether your DAC does ASIO or DoP.

So, whether you do DirectSDM or Closed Form upsampling, once you decide HQP will automatically use those defaults when it sees a DSD file, and use the poly sinc

384K upsampling defaults for when it sees a PCM file.

not quite sure it works that way with my DAC but thank you

? Nothing I said is DAC-specific (unless your dac doesn't do 384k or 2xDSD, which, by your preferences settings, I assume it does). So tell me where I am steering you wrong sir.

Ihave a router, gut it is in a separate room hooked up to two desktops that are family usage ones, one in use by boy playing game so Mom checks her email on other...it also provides wifi to home for devices including my music Mac Mini that I use headless so I screen share with my Macbook Pro (used to use an iPad, but the screen share works better at dropping and dragging to HQ Player).

Which one?

Why does it need internet if both Mini's have wifi? I do not have a hard wire internet hook up in the music room...do I need it or do I go wireless from connected router?

Or would this be a way to turn off Mini wifi and scream share through the network?

Waiting on Jussi to let me know how to use my March 2015 license for Player on new Mac. Anybody else know what I need to copy from one to the next?

WiFi sometimes work, sometimes don't. It's better to turn off WiFi for music listening for SQ.

I have the same problem as you, no hard wire connection in the music room, but a long ethernet cable to fit the new router. When the connection is stablished, by running HQ Player, you can disconnect this cable if you don't turn off the new router. This is the one I bought:

Amazon.com: Cable/DSL Router w/4-PT Switch: Computers & Accessories

But if you want a better one, Paul Pang has an special one for this purpose, but is about $150.-

If you use Migration app for the new Mac your HQ P license will be valid and working. Remove HQ P from the old Mac.

Hope this help,

Roch

No surprise...for those with lot's of computer gear and experience, but playing Bill Evans Trio at Vanguard unconverted to DSD128 with poly-sinc-mp-short (no 2) and DSD7 from files fed by Thunderbolt (versus USB2) on Mini 2.6GHz, 256 DSD, 16GB RAM via FW to Mytek DSD192...sounds pretty fantastic!

Mini isn't breaking a sweat either...under 10% CPU usage with wifi, screen share and activity monitor going on.

Tone with Soul

Thanks for clearing that up. I just never noticed it in settings. I tried closed form and I do not like it at all. It does use higher resources but I would accept that if I liked the sound. As it happens I don't care for it at all. The new poly ext I do like a lot.

I really like Polysinc ext too after a quick listen ! Another level of SQ on my E20 when doing PCM to DSD

I need to disable Process Lasso to try Closed Form

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

You DO NOT need another router. Just a switch and from what it sounds like in your situation a wireless switch. It seems that you guys have confused routers & switches, which are similar but not the same.

I use an Apple Airport Extreme to get a wireless Internet connect to my basement which is where my music system is located. The Extreme can be used to extend your wireless network as well as function as a switch. There are probably other similar devices from Netgear, D-Link, etc.

Actually in my case, I connect a 5-port Cisco switch to the Extreme so that the Extreme is only providing the wireless connection to my router (another Airport Extreme on the main floor of my house - depending on configuration of an Extreme, it can be a router & switch or just a switch). The Cisco switch provides the connectivity between the different devices.

Amazon.com: CISCO SYSTEMS SG100D-05-NA 5 Port Gigabit Switch: Computers & Accessories

I tried the Closed Form filter and have uncovered some bugs around this filter. If you have the output sample rate set to 192k and playing 44.1k source, the play button will only momentarily stay selected & playback wont start. If I change the output sample rate to 176.4k, it will play fine.

Selecting the poly-ext filter will automatically change the output sample rate from 192k to 176.4k (when playing 44.1k source) when playback starts.

I had an instance when using the Closed Form filter, it was playing, but there was no sound (I have not been able to reproduce this though).

For reference, I normally use poly-sinc filter, and this will output to 192k from 44.1k using the same DAC. This is running on Windows 10.

I've noticed something strange regarding the new poly-ext filter and the latest 3.10 version. If I play a 24/96 recording the ext filter causes the DSD sample rate to change automatically from that which is pre-selected. Further, it only allows certain sample rates different from those with 16/44 recordings. I only see this with the ext filter.

Perhaps Miska could explain this?

I've noticed something strange regarding the new poly-ext filter and the latest 3.10 version. If I play a 24/96 recording the ext filter causes the DSD sample rate to change automatically from that which is pre-selected. Further, it only allows certain sample rates different from those with 16/44 recordings. I only see this with the ext filter.

I this 3.10 the 3.11 network audio daemon for Windows?

If so, I believe it adjust por a correct multiple integer (non floating point) DSD rate.

For 44.1, 88.2 176.4 you will get 2,8xxx , 5,6xxx or 11,2xxx

For 48, 96, 192 you will get 3,07xxx , 6,14xxx or 12,28xxx

Roch

idem with closed form : had to close & reopen in order to set the right dsd rate to play as sdm a dsf file after playing a PCM as pcm

idem with closed form : had to close & reopen in order to set the right dsd rate to play as sdm a dsf file after playing a PCM as pcm

If you are talking about closed form being involved, then it's just math: These filters keep the original samples, and the only way to do that is if the final sample rate is an integer multiple of the original sample rate.

If you're not talking about closed form, then I don't know and Miska (or someone else who knows) will have to answer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I this 3.10 the 3.11 network audio daemon for Windows?

If so, I believe it adjust por a correct multiple integer (non floating point) DSD rate.

For 44.1, 88.2 176.4 you will get 2,8xxx , 5,6xxx or 11,2xxx

For 48, 96, 192 you will get 3,07xxx , 6,14xxx or 12,28xxx

Roch

This is on Windows 10 with no network audio. The dac is connected directly to my computer using usb and asio driver. I understand what you are saying but this behavior is only with the poly-ext filter engaged. Using other filters does not cause this behavior. I was just looking for Miska to comment if this behavior was unique to that one new filter?