IGNORED

HQ Player

@Miska

in the last couple of days I am suddenly getting strange but consistent control drop outs that cause the music to stop playing. 
oddly it happens every 30 minutes but my license is fine. 

Roon reports lose of control over HQPlayer. 

to resume playback I have to either restart HQPlayer (embedded) or just go to the configuration tab and hit “apply”

here is the last few minutes of the log showing the stop:

2022/06/25 22:12:55 Initialization complete, starting audio engine
# 2022/06/25 22:34:51 NAA output clNetEngine::Execute(): clSocket::Send(): send(): Connection reset by peer
! 2022/06/25 22:35:01 NAA output clNetEngine::PushPCM(): clNetEngine::SendStreamPCM(): clSemaphore::Wait() (15378)
! 2022/06/25 22:35:01 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): push to FIFO failed
  2022/06/25 22:35:01 Stop request (reset)
& 2022/06/25 22:35:01 Stop...
- 2022/06/25 22:35:01 Playback engine stopped
& 2022/06/25 22:35:01 ...stopped
  2022/06/25 22:35:01 Set volume: -39 +
- 2022/06/25 22:35:01 Control ended from [::1]:60914

hope you can assist 

36 minutes ago, GMG said:

@Miska

in the last couple of days I am suddenly getting strange but consistent control drop outs that cause the music to stop playing. 

to resume playback I have to either restart HQPlayer (embedded) or just go to the configuration tab and hit “apply”

# 2022/06/25 22:34:51 NAA output clNetEngine::Execute(): clSocket::Send(): send(): Connection reset by peer
! 2022/06/25 22:35:01 NAA output clNetEngine::PushPCM(): clNetEngine::SendStreamPCM(): clSemaphore::Wait() (15378)

hope you can assist 

I don't use Roon, and I use desktop but I've had this exact problem for a couple of months. Mine stops playing at around 45 minutes (give or take a few seconds) at the exact same point in an album. I don't think it's a time issue, I think it stops when a certain amount of data has been transmitted. 

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

42 minutes ago, GMG said:

@Miska

hope you can assist 

Looks like NAA disappears... But I'm curious what NAA log says....

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Looks like NAA disappears... But I'm curious what NAA log says....

I can make problem go away using 2 methods 

1. Revert to  Old version of RopieeeXL that uses NAA 4.1 in my Pi3b Usbridge Signature. 

2. Use Raspberry Pi4 with your own  NAA 4.2 OS

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, then it should work from DAC's perspective. Likely the processing just becomes too much for the M1 model in question. Although the load difference is just about 1.1x. But sometimes that is enough.

I feel in general, 48/96/192 works better with poly-sinc filters than with sinc filters. For my setup, sinc-L works with 88.2/176.4/352.8 but not with 48/96/192. On the other hand, pioly-sinc-ext works with 48/96/192 but has skips with 352.8. Would be nice to allow definition of different filters for different sample rates in HQplayer setting.

12 minutes ago, Fredc said:

I feel in general, 48/96/192 works better with poly-sinc filters than with sinc filters. For my setup, sinc-L works with 88.2/176.4/352.8 but not with 48/96/192. On the other hand, pioly-sinc-ext works with 48/96/192 but has skips with 352.8. Would be nice to allow definition of different filters for different sample rates in HQplayer setting.

You have separate selection for 1x and Nx rates already. I don't see any technical point for separate filters for different rate families.

In addition, there's nothing in HQPlayer that would be restricted to 44.1k and 48k bases. Note that also 32k base exists. But HQPlayer is not limited to such. Any source rate from 1 Hz to 2^32 (a bit over 4 GHz) is technically fine for HQPlayer. Same applies to output rates.

I think the current default is pretty good:

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

8 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

I can make problem go away using 2 methods 

1. Revert to  Old version of RopieeeXL that uses NAA 4.1 in my Pi3b Usbridge Signature. 

2. Use Raspberry Pi4 with your own  NAA 4.2 OS

Oh. Maybe that’s the case. 
I am also using RopieeeXL and think it got an update recently. 

@spockfish can you chime in?

how can I see Ropieee log?

d4952abcc86e065b

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Pick option #2

I can only borrow a Pi4 at the moment.  Can't buy one for love nor money 

12 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

I can only borrow a Pi4 at the moment.  Can't buy one for love nor money 

Have you checked Amazon? It may be different in the UK, however I just checked here in the US there are quite a few that are, allegedly, available on Amazon.

edit: I even found some that could be shipped to the US from the UK.

No electron left behind.

17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Have you checked Amazon? It may be different in the UK, however I just checked here in the US there are quite a few that are, allegedly, available on Amazon.

I think they may mean a compute unit. I’m in similar boat as I have usbridge signature  and want to upgrade to pi 4 compute with the adapter that’s available on Amazon…there seems to be a global shortage of the compute units in any configuration 

1 hour ago, Crom said:

I think they may mean a compute unit. I’m in similar boat as I have usbridge signature  and want to upgrade to pi 4 compute with the adapter that’s available on Amazon…there seems to be a global shortage of the compute units in any configuration 

As a temporary solution, a Pi4 would still work outside of the Allo device.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Pi4 available on Amazon.co.uk at exactly double the normal price. Eben Upton has asked us not to support resellers charging silly money outside of the official supply lines.

CM4 module requires an adaptor board which is allegedly quite flakey. CM4S module would fit into  Usbridge Signature but not available to members of the public. 

1 hour ago, blueninjasix said:

Pi4 available on Amazon.co.uk at exactly double the normal price. Eben Upton has asked us not to support resellers charging silly money outside of the official supply lines.

CM4 module requires an adaptor board which is allegedly quite flakey. CM4S module would fit into  Usbridge Signature but not available to members of the public. 

In that case you have your solutions and the problem does not lie with Miska or his software.

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In that case you have your solutions and the problem does not lie with Miska or his software.

I already said that I have 2 solutions to the problem.  I only replied to this thread because Miska expressed a curiosity about why the problem might be occurring. Maybe there is something in NAA 4.2 that is not in NAA 4.1 that stops playback after a certain amount of data has been transmitted. 

2 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

Maybe there is something in NAA 4.2 that is not in NAA 4.1 that stops playback after a certain amount of data has been transmitted. 

If NAA OS 4.2 or HQPlayer OS works, then it must be something different. It could be also incompatibility with the OS networkaudiod is running on, if it is not one of the supported ones.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

If NAA OS 4.2 or HQPlayer OS works, then it must be something different. It could be also incompatibility with the OS networkaudiod is running on, if it is not one of the supported ones.

I've done a lot of experimenting and happy to do more if it helps:-

Pi3B RopieeeXL 4.17 (Old Version with custom version of networkaudiod 4.1.1) works well.

Pi3B RopieeeXL 5/2022 (New Version with custom version of networkaudiod 4.2.0) dropout at 45 minutes

Pi3B Ubuntu 64bit with networkaudiod 4.2.0 arm64.deb No dropouts but too many cracks and pops

Pi3B Raspberry Desktop OS 32bit with networkaudiod  4.1.3 armhf.deb works well

Pi3B Raspberry Desktop OS 32bit with networkaudiod 4.2.0 armhf.deb dropout at 45 minutes

Pi3B Jussi NAA OS No Longer Available to download

Pi4 RopieeeXL 5/2022 (New Version with custom version of networkaudiod 4.2.0) works well

Pi4 Jussi NAA-420-OS Works well

10 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

Pi3B RopieeeXL 5/2022 (New Version with custom version of networkaudiod 4.2.0) dropout at 45 minutes

Pi4 RopieeeXL 5/2022 (New Version with custom version of networkaudiod 4.2.0) works well

I wonder what this custom version here means, because I cannot right now think of what it could be. Do you know what RopieeeXL is based on?

Currently the only 32-bit armhf build is for Debian Bullseye.

Currently the only 64-bit arm64 builds are for Debian Bullseye and NAA/HQPlayer OS.

10 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

Pi4 Jussi NAA-420-OS Works well

This is the only one listed here supported by me.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I wonder what this custom version here means, because I cannot right now think of what it could be. Do you know what RopieeeXL is based on?

Currently the only 32-bit armhf build is for Debian Bullseye.

Currently the only 64-bit arm64 builds are for Debian Bullseye and NAA/HQPlayer OS.

This is the only one listed here supported by me.

I don't know what RopieeeXL is based on. I had previously asked Harry @spockfish about which "audionetworkd" file was included in each version of his software.  He said they were "custom versions" of the .deb files that I had used with Ubuntu or Raspberry OS

I am somewhat familiar with computers, but I have been out of the loop for quite sometime. If I wanted to build one specifically for audio using HQ Player what do you guys recommend? I don't know if this is the correct thread for this question but any advice would be appreciated. The last computer I remember building was to play GTA Vice City 😅. That tells you how long ago this was.