IGNORED

HQ Player

45 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-everything-we-know,38233.html

I see the Ryzen 5 3600G coming later this year, 95W TDP (can do fanless in HDPlex case), octa core, GPU built-in.

But do you want that AMD GPU? It takes away cores...

But the Ryzen 9 looks very tempting indeed, lot of cores while still maintaining clock speeds too. And price is certainly decent.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Ah, thanks. Shows how little I know! Didn't realise it takes aware cores.

Works differently to Intel with it's built-in GPU?

No, probably similar way. On Intel you have also similar difference. GPU takes some space on the silicon and it's own allocated slot of the TDP. In this case it looks like two CPU cores were replaced with one GPU.

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

But do you want that AMD GPU? It takes away cores...

What do you mean it takes away cores?

Both the 3600X and 3600G are 95W with 8/16 cores/threads ... but the 3600G base/boost clocks are lower (3.2/4.0) than the 3600X (4.0/4.8).  So you're losing a lot of CPU performance to accommodate the GPU in the power budget.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, Miska said:

No, probably similar way. On Intel you have also similar difference. GPU takes some space on the silicon and it's own allocated slot of the TDP. In this case it looks like two CPU cores were replaced with one GPU.

Noted.

Have to wait for the geekbench results then I guess.

If Ryzen 5 3600G can get close to i7-9700K performance for much better price, it could be very good value for the dollar. And comparable because both include built-in GPU.

For sure, Ryzen 9 looks great on paper too. Pair it with RTX 2080.

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

If Ryzen 5 3600G can get close to i7-9700K performance for much better price, it could be very good value for the dollar. And comparable because both include built-in GPU.

For sure, Ryzen 9 looks great on paper too. Pair it with RTX 2080.

Ryzen 5 competes with Core i5, hence the naming. Ryzen 7 = i7, Ryzen 9 = i9... Ryzen cores are not as fast as Intel's, clock-to-clock, so you need more cores. But they already have more cores and somewhat lower prices. So for same price you usually get at least equivalent performance.

7 hours ago, rickca said:

What do you mean it takes away cores?

Both the 3600X and 3600G are 95W with 8/16 cores/threads ... but the 3600G base/boost clocks are lower (3.2/4.0) than the 3600X (4.0/4.8).  So you're losing a lot of CPU performance to accommodate the GPU in the power budget.

Ryzen 5 is just 6 cores to accommodate GPU on about the same die size. If X and G have same amount of cores, then G has larger die so they need to take clocks down to stay within the TDP. Effect is the same anyway, GPU takes it's own slice of the power budget as you say. Usually rated TDP is the limiting factor.

On Intel CPUs you have similar on LGA1151 vs LGA2011-3, or 9X series vs other CPUs on LGA2066. Would love to see how 9980XE fares against Threadripper on "HQPlayer benchmark".

27 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Try thePALIT GeForce 1050Ti KalmitX fanless GPU

I guess that's quite a bit more expensive?

There may be still some GT 710's also on market. At least in Finland there's still ASUS GT710 available too, for 46 EUR. Perfectly fine for occasional text console use.

11 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

What kind of horsepower is required to play MCH SACD rips?

Alternative Q  I'm downloading but I have not yet tried 3.25 ; can it be configured (how?) to play MCH SACD rips (MCH DVDA play just fine and gorgeous) with a 2012 MBP (bootcamping Windows), that is with attached features: 

Depends if you want to do any processing for such, and if you do, what exactly.

Playing it bit-perfect in Direct SDM is not a problem for pretty much anything. If you want to do lot of DSP operations, you'll need quite hefty machine...

I am planning to build a Hackintosh with i7 and NVIDIA Card. I know that Hackintosh can work with CUDA drivers on High Sierra, but that some applications could have issue. Has someone tested HQPLayer Desktop MacOS with GPU assistance on a hackintosh ?

NB: I need MacOS or Windows for Exasound drivers, so no Linux possible. MacOS is more stable and allows for hardware volume control through Roon, until I implement HQPlayer’s software volume.

49 minutes ago, alec_eiffel said:

NB: I need MacOS or Windows for Exasound drivers, so no Linux possible. MacOS is more stable and allows for hardware volume control through Roon, until I implement HQPlayer’s software volume.

That hardware volume doesn't work when you have HQPlayer in the middle, in that case, Roon controls HQPlayer's volume. Only HQPlayer Embedded (Linux only) supports hybrid hardware + software volume control.

2 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

I am planning to build a Hackintosh with i7 and NVIDIA Card. I know that Hackintosh can work with CUDA drivers on High Sierra, but that some applications could have issue. Has someone tested HQPLayer Desktop MacOS with GPU assistance on a hackintosh ?

Jussi previously advised that HQP's software volume control sounds better than the hardware volume control of the exaSound's ESS Sabre chip.  My experience concurs with that advice (and my hearing is less discerning than many others' here).

As an alternative to a Hackintosh, I believe you can drive the exaSound with an old Mac running the HQP NAA and the exaSound driver, in which case the powerful computer running HQP Desktop could be Linux.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7