IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, acousticmood said:

Options on the main pull down menu 9478C3A4-F0AD-4FD4-A5BA-7FD16C646DDD.thumb.png.57edbb3363eb7f7d10c0f476cbb98373.pngthe 44.1x256 will play the 48k will not. Auto will also play 

OK, not unusual for DACs to advertise support for 48k-base rates but not actually work that way.

You either need to select that 44.1k x256 explicitly here, or set it as upper limit in the Settings dialog to avoid auto-selection from picking up the 48k x256.

Curious that there's only DSD256 and nothing else. The DAC has decided to advertise only that subset of rates for what ever unknown reason...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, acousticmood said:

A333BFF9-7961-4A97-8320-F819DE9C3603.thumb.png.5332b4018e943a4ef19091cd08195581.png04F85957-C9EB-4204-B145-E502E36206F4.thumb.png.6c33daaae01a037c13efb0938acf2bd1.pngI can’t get consistent dsd playback from HQplayer and Roon through ultra Rendu into oppo205.  I had it working this morning but then I played a dvd and when I come back to it no go. The scrolling bar shows that it is playing as does the HQplayer zone. Nothing comes out though. If I switch in HQplayer to pcm then it plays but no sound with dsd.

What firmware are you using?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

25 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Interesting problem...I am not sure if I know the answer either, but since I also have SU-1 as well as AMD CPU server with Win10Pro, running HQP through Roon, I can only help confirm the firmware for SU-1 is fine in my setup running upsampling from 44.1K to DSD512 either 2's or non-2's filters, so issue might not be firmware related.

ASIO drivers are loadable at all times when installed, even when the USB (or other device) is not available, or the connection is broken (USB cable issues or such). And then the behavior may become funky... So far, the TEAC ASIO driver has been behaving the best of what I've seen in these situations. If I pull the USB cable while playing and then plug it back, the driver still restores previous sane state and playback can be restarted. Not all drivers are as clean as that.

Worth noting here is  that this is about Win 10 1809 which has been reported to break some audio device drivers. By the way, it also breaks VLAN support of Intel Ethernet drivers too (and still no fix available for that).

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Worth noting here is  that this is about Win 10 1809 which has been reported to break some audio device drivers. By the way, it also breaks VLAN support of Intel Ethernet drivers too (and still no fix available for that).

That makes the most sense, before all this happened.  Gustard X20 owner had win 1803 and with the exact same singxer driver (v4.45) both HQP and roon could upsample to DSD512.  Then he mistakenly unplugged USB cable when streaming and a day later their child was pushing a chair around the room and cycled the PC on and off several times in short order.  Since then in 1803 and now 1809 I cannot get HQP to play DSD and finally yesterday got roon to upsample DSD512.

I built the LKS guys server and when it was at my place with 1809 installed I had zero issues running HQP or Roon with DSDS512 sampling.  I have T+A dac8 and his LKS dac also uses pretty much the exact same amanero driver as T+A.  No issues here but problems at his place. 

What mystifies me is I got roon to upsample to DSD512 yet HQP won't switch to DSDS mode with driver that Roon works with.  If we solve it,  I'll update.

2 hours ago, acousticmood said:

Oppo is vers 118

You need to get back to 112. OPPO is currently working on a 119 version that hopefully will solve most of the problems affecting ver. 118.  You will of course loose full MQA decoding. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

This is a Roon/ HQP question.  I find that HQP by itself, and using the HQP convulution engine for EQ sounds better than using Roon/ HQP with Roon’s DSP EQ.  But in both situations, I get some clipping and am not sure how to deal with it.

1) With HQP by itself, I have the volume set at -3/ 0 per Jussi’s suggestion.  How do I deal with the clipping?

2) With Roon/ HQP, how do I deal with clipping without having to engage Roon’s DSP engine which I feel lowers the SQ?

Thanks 🙏 

Ah, so now Chord is claiming that not only WTA is 1 million taps (now we have 16M) but does so without Aliasing as aliasing brings some inaccuracies ? Anyone have any insight please ? 

I thought aliasing is something that would have to happen at high-speed ? And anti-aliasing is there to solve it ?

1 hour ago, DancingSea said:

This is a Roon/ HQP question.  I find that HQP by itself, and using the HQP convulution engine for EQ sounds better than using Roon/ HQP with Roon’s DSP EQ.  But in both situations, I get some clipping and am not sure how to deal with it.

1) With HQP by itself, I have the volume set at -3/ 0 per Jussi’s suggestion.  How do I deal with the clipping?

2) With Roon/ HQP, how do I deal with clipping without having to engage Roon’s DSP engine which I feel lowers the SQ?

Thanks 🙏 

If your filter has any boost peaks, you can apply negative gain compensation in the convolution engine settings. But overall I would strongly advice against correction filters having more than 6 dB boost, because there's no way to fill null points in the response, it would just take infinite amount of power and fry the speakers. For example if you know highest boost being +6 dB then compensate by -6 dB. You can reach the same by widening the volume control range and using suitable volume setting. For example recommended max volume to have enough room for typical inter-sample overs is -3 dB. If you have a correction filter with max +6 dB boost we come to conclusion that without gain compensation in convolution settings you need to set volume control to -9 dB to achieve desired response.

Correction filters with boost will overall sound quieter at same volume setting, but when material happens to contain the particular boosted frequency it will still really go that much higher up at that particular frequency! So at other times if you try to run the volume higher, it will go, but then trigger the limiter when there happens to be something at the boosted frequency. And depending on material that may take a while to happen...

6 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

When I get clipping ( hardly ever), I stop and lower the settings in the Prefs.

Not sure if it's the Best Way...

Usually the limiting is hardly noticeable by listening due to soft knee algorithm, sometimes you may get a pop though. But when you see from the main window that happening, just turn down the volume knob by one step (1 dB) and it will likely go away. In worst case you usually need to go down to -6 dB. I use -3 dBFS setting by default and I know I have only very few albums where that is not low enough.

39 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Once set in preferences, do you then adjust the HQP volume knob if its red?

That's the "turn me down" indication. If there's another limiting event it goes red again and then you can turn down more.

But after a while You pretty much know what setting covers you 99% of time and you don't need to play with it anymore.

Likely you are still far from maximum volume on amplifiers, so you just have a little less attenuation there before amplification in power amp again. Less there is such back-and-forth attenuation/amplification better it overall is. My preamp has volume setting display in dB and couple of dB here or there is really nothing on that scale.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

That's the "turn me down" indication. If there's another limiting event it goes red again and then you can turn down more.

But after a while You pretty much know what setting covers you 99% of time and you don't need to play with it anymore.

Likely you are still far from maximum volume on amplifiers, so you just have a little less attenuation there before amplification in power amp again. Less there is such back-and-forth attenuation/amplification better it overall is. My preamp has volume setting display in dB and couple of dB here or there is really nothing on that scale.

How does this relate to Roon with HQP?  Back to one of my original questions, if I turn off the Roon DSP engine, and thus its headroom management feature, can any clipping be dealt with in HQP with the its volume knob?  Thx

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

If your filter has any boost peaks, you can apply negative gain compensation in the convolution engine settings. But overall I would strongly advice against correction filters having more than 6 dB boost, because there's no way to fill null points in the response, it would just take infinite amount of power and fry the speakers. For example if you know highest boost being +6 dB then compensate by -6 dB. You can reach the same by widening the volume control range and using suitable volume setting. For example recommended max volume to have enough room for typical inter-sample overs is -3 dB. If you have a correction filter with max +6 dB boost we come to conclusion that without gain compensation in convolution settings you need to set volume control to -9 dB to achieve desired response.

Correction filters with boost will overall sound quieter at same volume setting, but when material happens to contain the particular boosted frequency it will still really go that much higher up at that particular frequency! So at other times if you try to run the volume higher, it will go, but then trigger the limiter when there happens to be something at the boosted frequency. And depending on material that may take a while to happen...

Thanks for the detailed response.  Due to my lack of technical knowledge, I understand almost none of it 😃 

I have a bass boost of +4.5 dB at 180 hz, low shelf, that I use periodically in convolution.  So how should I set the HQP volume preferences (min/ max) to make that work without clipping?

Thanks.

Just now, DancingSea said:

How does this relate to Roon with HQP?  Back to one of my original questions, if I turn off the Roon DSP engine, and thus its headroom management feature, can any clipping be dealt with in HQP with the its volume knob?  Thx

As long as Roon doesn't do any DSP and sends sources bit-perfect to HQPlayer, then all necessary headroom management happens in HQPlayer.

MQA unfolding and other basic decoding activity can be considered in the category of "not doing any DSP". IOW, Roon DSP turned off for HQPlayer outputs.

2 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

I have a bass boost of +4.5 dB at 180 hz, low shelf, that I use periodically in convolution.  So how should I set the HQP volume preferences (min/ max) to make that work without clipping?

-3 + -4.5 = -7.5 dBFS setting should be fine in HQPlayer. So you can round it to -8 dBFS for safety.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

As long as Roon doesn't do any DSP and sends sources bit-perfect to HQPlayer, then all necessary headroom management happens in HQPlayer.

MQA unfolding and other basic decoding activity can be considered in the category of "not doing any DSP". IOW, Roon DSP turned off for HQPlayer outputs.

With Roon’s DSP engine off, and should clipping occur, can I adjust the HQP volume knob without causing a spat between Roon and HQP?  Am I correct, that I would adjust the HQP volume knob to cure the clipping?

52 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

So that’s -8 minimum volume and what for max, still 0?  

Or is it the other way around?

Only the actual volume knob position in main window matters. You can set the range for example from -16 to -3 as an example, then it is easier to adjust accurately within the small range.

When you turn the knob, the value is shown briefly in status-bar area at bottom of the main window.

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

When you turn the knob, the value is shown briefly in status-bar area at bottom of the main window.

It would be helpful to leave the volume displayed always instead of just briefly after a change.

Is there an intended advantage of the volume setting disappearing?  Certainly not to eliminate clutter from the display, since the display is full of other information.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

50 minutes ago, Miska said:

Only the actual volume knob position in main window matters. You can set the range for example from -16 to -3 as an example, then it is easier to adjust accurately within the small range.

So to clarify, I ought to, in preferences, set the minimum volume to -8 and the max to zero?