freesteve

HQ Player

So I'm using Roon 3.12 (in trial mode, at a friend's house) on Mac OS 10.8.4, and it appears that HQP is switching the left and right channels. Has anyone else noticed this happening? Is it operator error, or could there be an HQP bug causing this? Is there a way to switch the channels the other way?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Question to all you HQ geeks: what is the minimum Geekbench score to safely allow PCM>DSD 256 or even 512 without hiccups? I need to score a new Mac to run HQ....

Before you figure out what Mac to get, you need to figure out how you're going to do DSD256 or DSD512 from a Mac. See what @ted_b says in Post #4475. Right now, the only way I know to do DSD rates higher than 128 is to use an ExaSound DAC with Exa's Mac ASIO driver.

Once you've got that sorted, I'm thinking a loaded mini (3.0GHz dual-core i7, 16GB RAM) or better should be good for what you want, although you might be able to squeak by with a little less. Maybe @Miska can be more definitive about hardware requirements.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

DSD256 with HQPlayer on a Mac is pretty straight forward. The least expensive route I know is an iFi iDSD Nano (~US$200). To get to DSD256 via DoP, a firmware update is needed.

Yes, I stand corrected. I was able to do this after the 5.0A firmware upgrade and some futzing around on my iDSD nano hooked up to my Mac Pro.

So @Geardaddy, please take note. DSD256 is do-able on a Mac; DSD512 is a problem. I apologize for the bad info. (I can only do DSD128 on my Mytek DAC, so I think that's what confused me.)

--David

With my antique Mytek DAC, it appears I can upsample to DSD128 with HQP if I use a FireWire connection to the DAC (and it sounds darn good this way). As far as I can tell, I'm limited to DSD64 if I go via USB.

I'm aware that getting a new DAC gets me out of this quandary, but short of that, what's the better choice? Stick with the FireWire or go with USB? Bear in mind that with a USB connection I could pretty easily incorporate an inexpensive NAA and/or a USB "conditioner" like the UpTone Regen or the iFi iUSB 3.0.

I'm curious to see if there's any kind of consensus on this, but perhaps the FW connection is just too much of an oddball situation for most people to grapple with.

--David

Ah. There we go. FLAC and AIFF will drag-n-drop. Would explain things though: 98% of my Lossless stuff is ALAC.

You may or may not be interested in Roon, but it's perhaps worth noting that if you use Roon as the front end for HQP, since Roon opens/decodes the files and sends a straight PCM or DSD stream to HQP, HQP can then effectively play back any file format Roon supports, including ALAC.

--David

I'm considering using HQ Player, but have two questions:

1) I understand that it's a player that does real-time up/down-sampling, but can it be used as an offline re-sampler so that I only have to do the re-sampling once?

HQP does not do offline resampling, but provided you have the requisite CPU power to deal with HQP's filters and converters, there's no real need to do offline resampling.

2) I get the impression from the website that the interface uses the standard approach used by many players that classifies music by Artist, Performer, and Album. I don't use this approach. I listen to classical music, and use a directory-based approach in which music is listed by composer with subdirectories for each opus. Can HQ Player also use such an approach?

Technically, the answer to your question is yes, but you may find that HQP's library-management capabilities are a bit on the spartan side. The best way to do your evaluation to download the trial and see how you like both the sound quality and the UI/UX. Be prepared to read the manual before you really get going.

--David

Many of us are using Roon for file/meta-data management. The interface to HQplayer is working great...whole separate thread for that:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/roon-hqplayer-integration-26975/

Also lots about this over on the Roon Community Forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-use-roon-and-hqplayer-together/5866

+1 on this. There's a Linux version of Roon Server (not Roon Core) in the works. Plenty of info here:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-for-linux-on-roadmap/2116/112

I think Roon Core for Linux is still a ways off, but to use Roon Server, you'd just need an Android tablet or an iPad (one that meets Roon's hardware requirements) as a control point.

--David

Yes, I understand the file size problem, though if I'm buying DSD recordings I don't see that would be an issue as I would just play them as is. What I also wanted to do between now and getting the DAC was to buy some DSD/DXD files and down-sample them to 176.4 for immediate listening. What's the best software for doing that?

For OS X, the current version of XLD will do it for you, provided you're dealing with DSF or PCM files (not DSD iso's).

(How are you liking the Benchmark AHB2? I love mine.)

--David

Edit: I reviewed the XLD release notes, and it looks like DSD iso's should also be okay.

You will good up to PCM 384KHz with that configuration.

For DSD, you will need to go higher with at least a 3.5GHz processor.

For DSD256 I'm pretty sure something like a quad core / Core i7 processor would be needed. DSD128 and above really needs a fair amount of processing power with DSD256 being an order of magnitude higher than DSD128.

I'm able to use HQP to upsample to DSD128 (with poly-sinc-short and poly-sinc-short-mp filters) on my mid-2011 Mac mini, which has a 2.3GHz dual-core i5. However, with HQP and Roon Core running together on that machine, it's pretty well maxed out — any additional activity (e.g., copying files) will induce stuttering. Thus, I'd suggest that this is about the minimum hardware configuration for this. So basically, Nikhil is right, and I completely agree with him on the need for a quad-core i7 for upsampling to DSD256 or greater.

--David

Has anyone tried to separate the HQPlayer machine from the Roon machine (i.e. could HQPlayer be run from the PC and Roon run from the NAS and still work in concert through an NAA configuration)? How else might one reduce the separate load that Roon represents (I'd prefer an answer other than "don't use Roon, use HQP in standalone...")?

Yes, I run Roon on one computer and HQP on another most of the time lately, and it works very well, although my current DAC is limiting what I can do in the way of upsampling. In my case, it's on two different Macs. If you already have Roon/HQP integration working, I think you'll find it fairly easy to set up on two Windows boxes. (I can't speak to running Roon Server on a NAS — that looks a bit more difficult, and it's not currently officially supported by Roon, AFAIK.) Obviously, you want to run HQP on the most powerful computer you have available.

--David

anybody please help ?

As @bib01 suggested, if you don't already have a gmail account, go here (in your Web browser) and open one. Then use your gmail account to mail the log file (using your Web browser).

Advising you to do this is much easier than trying to walk you through "associating" your email client and configuring your existing Exchange account (which, in any case, is beyond the scope of my syllabus).

--David

Thanks - I've been following the thread on that candidate. Any specific less expensive options of note?

The Mytek Brooklyn is a possibility — if you feed it its maximum DSD256 it's not going to do much of anything more to the audio stream. The exaSound E12 and E22 are also possibilities (also limited to DSD256), but exa is not sharing its driver info with the Open Source folks, so if you wanted to use one of the exaSound DACs with, say, a Sonore Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu, that would be a no-go. There's also the iFi iDSD micro and the forthcoming (some day soon, I hope) iDSD Pro. The micro can do DSD512, so I'd expect the Pro would, too.

Judging from all the comments about the T+A DAC 8 DSD, it would seem to be the best of the bunch at or below ~US$4K. (The DAC 8 DSD is also not currently compatible with the Sonore renderers, but there appears to be hope in this area.) I'm struggling a bit with choosing a new DAC, too, but I'm taking my time deciding.

—David

David: When you say it us not compatible are you referring to the rendering capabilities or is this also true if you are using them just as an NAA for HQPlayer? If so, can you currently use the DAC 8 DSD with HQPlayer in an NAA configuration?

Sorry, I should have been more clear about this. In this context, I just meant that you wouldn't be able to do native DSD to the Sonore devices; you'd be limited to DoP. The corollary is that currently, with the T+A DAC, you wouldn't be able to do DSD512 (again, with the Sonore renderers).

I'm pretty sure Jussi/Miska has a T+A DAC on loan, so he'd be able to speak authoritatively on this, but you should be able to use a Windows-based NAA and get up to DSD512 if your hardware is up to it. Also, I know there's work under way by the Linux audio guys to support Amanero-based USB (that's what the T+A uses, as do the Lampizators), so as I said, there's hope in that area. If the work is successful, then the Sonore devices would be able to support native DSD with the DACs that use Amanero USB boards, although my understanding is that firmware updates might be required.

(Many people would say, "Why is this such a problem? Just use a Windows-based NAA — you could even Bootcamp your Mac mini." In my case, I just don't care for Windows, so I've gotten myself into this mess trying to find an alternative. I'm by no means certain I'll be successful.)

--David

Can I just ask is DSD upsampling available when using the 'evaluation' trail?? Can't for the life of me get DSD output [emoji19]

Yes, it works in the trial. It's probably something in your settings. If you post screenshots of your HQP settings dialog, your DSDIFF/DSF settings, and the main window, someone will be able to tell you where you've gone astray.

--David

20 minutes ago, DSD256 said:

It is simply unfair to make a statement like: "Those multi-bit ladders don't achieve the price/performance of delta-sigma DACs though. And even best ones don't come close to best delta-sigma DACs in terms of performance.",

if you do not know what you're talking about.

It's fine if you like the Yggdrasil; a lot of people do. But you really haven't established your credentials to allege that @Miska doesn't know what he's talking about. Here's what I know:

DSD256 — 5 posts

Miska — 8,361 posts and, oh yeah, he writes what I and many, many others consider to be the best playback software available.

So maybe just ease up for a few thousand posts?

--David

On 4/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, jtwrace said:

Thanks!  Any reason you haven't gone for the PP? 

@orgel lets hear what you think!  

(Sorry for the belated response.)

I am really enjoying the e32/PlayPoint combo — it sounds, to my ears, just like what I'm always going for, and that's as close to completely neutral as possible. Configuring the two devices is very, very easy — you can see that exaSound devoted a lot of thought to making them this way, especially the PlayPoint. Also, for someone who uses Roon and HQPlayer together, this is a really good choice, IMO. I can switch between using the PlayPoint as an HQP NAA and a Roon endpoint just by switching zones in the Roon control app.

For anyone interested, Vade Forrester has a recent, thorough review of the combo in The Absolute Sound, Steven Plaskin has a detailed review of the e32 on AudioStream (which highlights use with HQP), and of course there's Chris's excellent write-up of the PlayPoint.