IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi all,

My first post here. Been using Roon Server to HQ Player to mRendu. Most of my music files are AIFF that were up converted offline to Double DSD. Been up sampling to Quad DSD via HQ Player for the most part without issue aside from the Digital pop at the beginning of a track, which I attribute to my Auralic Vega Dac. This is all via a Mac Mini. If I set HQ to Dop

the pop is less severe but no DSD at quad rate capability. I recently started having the popping at a more severe and frequent rate to the point where a track is unlistenable.

Tried reboots etc to no avail. Tonight I decided to uncheck Pipeline SDM and the severe popping went away and playback is without issue. My understanding was that having Pipeline enabled meant all CPU cores were being used and was necessary for the task of up converting. Could this be a bug in HQ Player? Using Beta 5 right now.

My mini is a YFS modified quad core, 16 gig ram, SSD Drive. Their LPS as well.

Any thoughts?

On a side note I love how the system sounds. Be nice to be rid off the pops all together, have not been able to figure that one out. May sell my Vega and go for a Bryston BDA-3.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

What exact model it is, even better if you know the CPU model? Remember that the double "cores" due to HyperThreading doesn't count as CPU cores. All the current Mac Mini models are dual-core and thus just suffer from the Pipeline SDM.

Only quad-core Mini models were i7 models of Mid 2011 and Late 2012.

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B0A

SMC Version (system): 2.8f1

Serial Number (system): C07KW01TDY3H

Hardware UUID: 8F3C5549-EED3-540D-94A7-A5089E98053C

Thanks Jussi, let me know what you think

Mike

• 1 year later...

Was doing some maintenance on my Mac Mini this afternoon and noticed under HQ Player Preferences; NAA, in addition to my Bryston BDA-3 Dac there was an option to choose a 

ultraRendu - MQA setting. Tried it but got no audio. Anyone notice that option as well?

I presume it’s for Sonicorbitor OS Version 2.6. Any info available.

Thanks.....Mike

• 1 year later...

Help Please! Originally was running HQP 4 on my 2012 Mac Mini along with Roon Server. Playing to a Optical Module and OpticalRendu and a Bryston BDA-3 Dac.

I decided to try and separate Roon and HQP so I could possibly take advantage of EC Modulators.

so I installed HQP on my Mac Pro, it is the most recent version 3.5 ghz 6 core.

HQP sees my ORendu/Dac but Roon does not play to HQP, I have the IP address of my Mac Pro in the Roon Settings for HQP. Not sure I have client set up correctly, it only shows local host as a option it does not show the Mac Pro.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all!

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

@Miska I have been a HQP Desktop and now embedded user for quite some time now. I have a feeling that I have not fully grasped a significant detail of how things work.

Along time ago I had decided to up-convert off line all of my aiff rips to DSD64/128 using the AudioInventory program. In using HQP to further up-convert to DSD256 is it correct that Noise-shaping/Dither ie: sinc-S does not come into play? Only Modulation ie: ASDM7EC? As an experiment I had Roon DSP process (2 PC set up) my DSD file back to PCM and then have HQP work it’s magic, I notice my CPU usage is different on my HQPe machine, more cores are being utilized and it sounds different as well.

Have I been off base in this regard?

Thanks...Mike

• 2 years later...