IGNORED

HQ Player

Question: Does HQ Player upsampling require more, about equal, or less computing power than the same degree of upsampling using Roon DSP? 

Why do I ask?

I currently use Roon DSP to upsample streaming and local files to DSD 512, which is on top of a 66K taps Audiolense convolution filter. This works great about 95% of the time, with processing speeds around 2.7X, but occasionally I get dropouts (gaps in playback).

If HQP's upsampling is significantly more efficient than that built into Roon - meaning enough so that it would eliminate these occasional dropouts/gaps in playback - than I would like to try it. 

I realize HQP has a free 30-minute free test mode, but my current opticalRendu is the "Lite" model and is only compatible with Roon. As a result, it cannot serve as an NAA for HQP. In order to integrate HQP, I would have to buy a fully configured opticalRendu or some other compatible NAA. So it's important I have some confidence things won't get worse with respect to these dropouts/gaps in playback before making such an investment.

Make sense? Thanks in advance, all. I very much value the hive mind of AS.

Thanks, guys. I might try the Raspberry Pi 4 idea, or maybe I will have to shop around for a server with more processing power than the SonicTransporter i9. I just dropped almost $3,000 on it last fall, however, so for the near-term future I might have to learn to live with the occasional dropouts and gaps in playback.

BTW, the sound of Qobuz upsampled to DSD 512 and played through the T+A DAC 8 DSD is phenomenal, and to me it is worth the occasional glitches.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s hard for me to believe an i9 system has trouble with Roon DSD512 and convolution. I can do this on an i5 QNAP NAS. 

I think something else is afoot. I’m willing to bet you’ve maxed out the oR Lite. 

Thanks, Chris. Do you think I could fix this with a full opticalRendu (not just the "Lite" Roon-only version)? Or should I be looking at other options? 

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Perhaps you could provide some broad-stroke genre/filter pairing suggestions with a sentence or two explaining the underlying rationale - e.g., what characteristics of the genre or recording methods you would expect to be enhanced by the filter, similar to how you have explained the variety of jazz recordings above.

In addition to issues of individual taste in sound, about which you are surely correct, categories of “musical genre” are broad and definitionally fuzzy at the edges. These broad categories smooth over much of the nuance of actual artistic choices by composers and performers, which can cross genre boundaries (e.g., classical works that include jazz drum sets, electric guitars, synthesizers; rock recordings that include strings or choirs).

And of course as you say, genre categories don’t define the nature of the recording techniques and technologies that are inherent to the sound of any particular recording (like your example of the Jazz at the Pawn Shop recording versus a more typical close-mic’ed studio jazz recording).

That all said, the number of filter and options in HQPlayer is impressive (and necessary) but also intimidating to a new user. Armed with a set of underlying principles to guide them, novice users could limit the field of choices as they start exploring the options rather than risk being overwhelmed by the choices. Thanks again!