IGNORED

HQ Player

Rather than scroll 702 pages of posts for guidance on this, I ask Miska please to indulge my just asking this question here:

I have a Dell XPS8390 with current version i7 processor, 16gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti, a 256gb system SSD, and 1tb HDD.  Music is stored on a NAS.  I do not have the computer connected to any audio equipment by USB and, instead, play back to a microRendu on my office desktop, an ultrarendu in my basement, and a Signature Rendu in my living room.  I presently use JRiver MC over DLNA for library maintenance and some playback and Audirvana over DLNA for some playback. I also am testing Roon on a free trial. I control using the computer when seated at it or with iPad and Android apps when using the apps remotely.

All music on JRiver is native resolution and both Audirvana and Roon are upsampled to DSD 256. All sound good, but Roon sounds best.  However, I despise the Roon experience for reasons that I don't need to share here, so haven't yet decided whether to subscribe when the trial is over.

I don't spend a lot of time at the computer, but, when I do, I am working on word processing, financial management, surfing the web, or running utilities and, at the same time, listening on my desktop system with the microRendu.

So, here's the question:. Given that I cannot dedicate this computer exclusively to audio, do I have enough horsepower to run HQP with all files upsampled to DSD256?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks, Miska.  I will give it a try.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 1 year later...

Not sure this has been covered in the 850 or so pages of this thread, so I will just ask:  To what extent can I use HQP with Windows 10 on a NUC 10 i7 with 16gb RAM?

I have just reformatted the NUC from Roon ROCK to Windows 10 as I am giving up my Roon subscription.  I only stream over ethernet from a NAS to any of three Sonore Rendus.  There are no USB devices connected to this NUC. 

I've been using Audirvana Studio with DSP enabled to DSD256 and it's pegging the CPU cores at 100c routinely, if momentarily.  That's too hot to run even in spikes, so I am hoping to find something that sounds as good but is less CPU-intensive.

I always have heard that HQP will max out CPUs of every sort if configured to sound its very best, so this may not be ideal hardware for the application, but is there a way that I can use HQP without overheating this PC?  I obviously would love to be able to upsample to DSD256 because my streamers and DACs seem to like that output's sound, but I want the NUC to last more than a short time. 

Is there an HQP use case with this hardware and this upsampling intention?  If not, would I be able to use HQP throttled to some extent?

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can try with lighter filters and modulators. Like getting started with poly-sinc-ext2 filter and ASDM7 modulator. EC modulators may be too heavy for the CPU, at least if you like to to keep temps lower.

I don't think you can cause harm to the system easily, at most you will end up having CPU thermal throttled which would likely cause drop-outs in audio.

Thanks, Miska.   I don't know the meanings of these references to the filters and modulators.  I assume I won't be upsampling to DSD256 with the ones you mentioned, but will I still be able to play hi res PCM and native DSD files over my home network?

@k6davis
 Thanks very much for this clear and detailed explanation of what my reasonable expectations might be.   I will download the trial version when I can take a few moments to set it up and then explore.

• 2 months later...

I am sure this has been covered somewhere in this thread’s 874 pages, but I gotta ask:  I am using the Desktop software on evaluation and don’t understand the manual’s terminology well enough to make intelligent decisions about settings, so I would appreciate some guidance.

HQ Desktop is on a NUC 10i7 with 16gb RAM.  I am streaming over LAN to Rendus connected to DACs capable of playing DSD 512, but the NUC runs really hot with other software when upsampling to DSD 256, so CPU core temps are a consideration for me with any software capable of DSP.

Is there a “best practices” set of changes any of you can recommend for this modest server?  Right now, the only change I have made after installation is to change the default output mode to SDM.  

Also, at the Signalyst website there is a download link for Network Audio Daemon but I have been unable to figure out what that does and if I need to use it in connection with network streaming.  What is it, exactly?

6 hours ago, bogi said:

HQPlayer does the upsampling and PCM to DSD conversion thing (which is called SDM - sigma delta modulation). HQPlayer can then send the processing result to directly connected DAC or to NAA (the Network Audio Daemon you mentioned).

NAA (Network Audio Adaptor) is a low power computer running the Network Audio Daemon software. Your DAC is connected to NAA. Using NAA has these advantages:
1. It allows to play from HQPlayer computer to NAAs located distantly from that computer, for example in other rooms.

2. It isolates the NAA connected DAC from electric noise produced by HQPlayer computer and propagating itself in analog forms through interconnect cables to audio chain.

3. If NAA + DAC are placed in different room than HQPlayer computer, then it is not needed to use a special quiet computer as HQPlayer computer - you can use an usual cheaper one with standard cooling.

You probably meant Sonore Rendu as "Rendus". Yes, you can use Sonore Rendu products as NAA.

Thank you.  I am using the NAA functionality built into the Rendus' SonicOrbiter OS. I did not realize that it is the Network Audio Daemon. Thank you for clarifying that. 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Usually there shouldn't need to consider CPU core temps. For example I'm extremely rarely looking at my CPU core temps. Operating systems and BIOS have thermal management and in addition CPUs have built-in thermal protections. Usually reason to look at CPU temps is in case one has performance problems due to thermal throttling. Thermal throttling is way to limit CPU speed in order to protect the CPU, but it should only happen in case of inadequate cooling. For example Apple M1 silicon is performance limited through thermal throttling on MacBook Air and iPad where there's no cooling fan, unlike on MacBook Pro and Mac Mini M1.

So far, I have never burned a single CPU despite running very heavy things. HQPlayer is not even heavy on CPUs compared to practically all modern computer games which can run CPU + GPU at constant 100% load on all cores. Usually first thing to blow up are electrolytic capacitors on mainboard or PSU and these usually begin to blow up earliest after 5 years of 24/7 use. One Dell blew mainboard capacitors already after two years of 24/7, and it was located in an air conditioned machine room and was running on light CPU load...

People rarely play music 24/7, but I know some people running BitCoin mining 24/7...

Thanks, Miska. Unfortunately, the NUC has pretty terrible cooling, with a small fan that cannot be upgraded within the existing case.

Those braver than I sometimes move the motherboard into Akasa or HDPlex fanless cases (not easy because removing the motherboard requires effort that may damage the radio cables). The Akasa fanless case runs quieter, not cooler, and the HDPlex both is too large for my space and requires installation of a web of copper vent pipes that I find intimidating.  So, with my NUC,l in its factory case, overheating seems to be a real concern. 

Can you suggest a few specific settings changes I can try without too much fear of pushing the CPU into failure? 

50 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It won’t fail. It will gracefully back down the power output until the temperature decreases. 

With no effect on SQ if HQP settings are what pushed it into throttling? 

Is it because I have the "extract cover" box checked that my folders all now have cover.jpg files?  If so, is it possible to use the embedded art rather than extract it?  I really prefer to have my art embedded.  

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, if you didn't yet have any of the supported detached cover files available. Embedded cover art is used for per-track covers. But for album covers, detached ones are needed. Reading cover images from embedded metadata for album purposes is too slow and inefficient.

Shane. That's a LOT of extra storage space in a library as large as mine.  😬

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m very interested to hear if the NUC works well. It would be great to have small devices capable of running HQP OS and 7EC mods at 256. 

I am confident the NUC is not the best computer for this software, at least my version of it.  After doing some reading about settings on the net, I changed the default settings for DSD to sinc-L, ASDM7EC, and 44.1/512.  Nothing would play at all;  I just got the blue progressive bars and, then, nothing.  Then, I returned individual parameters back to the default one at a time hoping that playback would start at some point, but it never did, even when all defaults were restored.

Eventually, I uninstalled HQP Desktop and figured I would start over. I  will do that once I finish posting this.

Frankly, I am of two minds about HQP with the defaults.  I love the width of the sounstage and the liveliness of what I heard, but, on my system, bass was really woolly and piano was just weird:  I can't even describe why the piano seemed "off," but it did.  

This far, one thing has seemed clear to me: to use the setups that people describe as best, you almost certainly need more horsepower than I have with this NUC.

As an experiment, I can try to install HQP on my daily driver Dell XPS8930 i7 with 32gb RAM and see if that is more capable.  I don't want to use that machine as a server for several reasons, but I am willing to experiment with it.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

I'd say it's less, since you need only one cover image for each album, instead of (likely) repeating the same cover in every track file...

But as detached it of course takes same space as it does embedded into a single track's metadata.

True, but I like to keep art embedded anyway so that I can take tracks with me on portable devices, so I will keep embedded art *and* separate art if decide to buy the license. 

6 hours ago, bogi said:

Nobody is able to run ASDM7EC at DSD512. Try it at DSD256. If it still does not work, either try it at DSD128, or try other modulator like DSD5 at DSD512 or DSD256. As soon as you find an optimal modulator and DSD sample rate, you can try different oversampling filters.

Thanks. This is good to hear.  I can get ASDM7EC to make sounds at DSD256, but it gets dead spots.  It works at DSD128 just fine.  DSD5 works fine at DSD256, so I guess I need to figure out which sounds consistently best. 

Temps spike into the 93c range, but run consistently at about 60c with both settings. 

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I had these settings working and then my 30 minutes ended. On restart, I couldn't get tracks to play. 

OP:  I can get HQP to play DSD512 without dead spots with SincgL and ADM5EC and I can live with the sound quality. 

Would any of you be concerned about these temp levels, though? 

Screenshot_20210927-150559_Splashtop.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a question about the Client application.  

I use it with both HQPe on a NUC and Desktop on a Dell XPS8930.  I can use it with only one at a time, of course, but it loads reliably, can find both versions, and populates the play view screen with accurate information about setup. 

The album view page is a mystery to me, however.  It can search just fine, with search result covers displayed, but, otherwise, it always is blank.  I have a ridiculously large hoarder library, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it load slowly, but it never loads at all.

In contrast, HQPcontroller and HQPWV can display thumbs sorted by artist or album name, so I know the information is visible on the network. I would like to get this working so I don't have to use my phone to scroll covers while I am sitting at the PC. (I have more or less dedicated HQPWV to HQPe as it won't reliably switch between libraries, so I would like to be able to dedicate the client to the Desktop application.)

Anyone having better luck than I? 

13 minutes ago, giordy60 said:

tried, but no result .....

Schermata 2021-12-17 alle 19.32.27.png

I suspect you may already have tried this, but, when I have had this issue, rebooting NAA often allows things to play the next time I click on playback. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer Desktop 4.15.3 should now perform best on any hardware with "Multicore DSP" set to "auto" (grayed).

Same applies to Embedded 4.28.2 release.

Where is the Multicore DSP setting in Embedded?  I don't see it on the Configuration page.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'll make some Windows test builds tomorrow to test with. There are so many different kinds of hardware that it is really hard to make software perform absolutely best on everything.

Amen to that. I don't envy you that task.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, warrior-kid said:

Thanks again both, no probs. I am not going to replace an expensive DAC for sure--that sounds amazing with HQ Player on the attached Mac Mini.

Perhaps Sonore UltraRendu is the next stop?

You cannot go wrong with any of the Sonore endpoint products.

Is there a way to run a local library update nightly using a Windows or third-party scheduler? 

58 minutes ago, Jud said:

Something similar has occurred for me with both Audirvana (various versions) and HQPlayer in microRendu 1.3 and 1.5, so if it is a software problem it may be in the microRendu.

I have had periodic issues like this, which occur and disappear without any predictable pattern or frequency.

In my case, the usual fix is to restart both NAA in the rendu and HQP on the server.  

If that doesn't work, I turn off my switch, my DAC, and my rendu.  Then, I restart them in that order. 

If that doesn't work, I listen using another protocol for awhile.  When I switch back to NAA after awhile, it almost always works again.

Pain in the arse, but the days of putting a CD in the tray, pressing "play, " and hearing music are long gone.

Also, FWIW, when HQP is working, it shows the name of your DAC as part of the end point.  Yours does not in the attached screenshot, but my W4S DAC's name appears as part of the end point when all is working.  (Screenshot is from HQP Embedded, but I recall that Desktop also shows DAC name explicitly when everything is working.)

Screenshot_20220222-094335_Splashtop.jpg

2 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Strange. Every time I compare DSD256 with ADSM7ECv2 to DSD512 with ASDM7 512+fs, the former wins and it is not close. My DAC is a May KTE…

I would like to have this problem!  My DACs only go to DSD256!

7 hours ago, rah50 said:

Thanks all for the microRendu help. At this moment my low power Celeron running NAA 4.2 is sounding pretty good, certainly better than Roon Ready without HQP. So I'll stick with this for the moment.

I was thinking about an ultraRendu, are people having the same issue with that or the opticalRendu?

I have had microrendu 1.3 and 1.4, two ultrarendus, and an optical Sig SE. Honestly, I have had similar issues with all of them.  Eventually, though, each has ended up working again after some fiddling. Only once have I had an issue with the units themselves, which was solved easily by a new SD card.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

What's the latest recommendation for pcm and sdm settings for HQP.  For the last couple of years I have not been using any filters and have not kept up with the advances that @Miska has made.  I am using Lampizator dac with Amanero card with HQPlayer Client/LMS UPnPBridge --> HQPlayer/HQPlayer Embedded --> NAA --> DAC setup.

All my music is streamed via Qobuz

I can't answer this beyond my own settings, which are hardware dependent, but it does raise a question that I have had:  What exactly does HQP do if you disable all filters? Is it just bit perfect reproduction like JRiver or are there some processes that never are disabled?