IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi folks, I am all new to HQPlayer and I have dug through this and other threads but can't really find a clear answer to the dac bits setting. Lot's of different answers depeding on input source and dac chip etc. What I learned is that the dac bits setting is only a concern when using PCM like in my case. How do I figure out what the "ideal" setting is for my ESS ES9016K2M dac? Should I leave it on "default", set to the max it can receive via USB or to the ENOB? Pretty confused right now.

Cheers

Hi folks, I have another question that you can possibly answer. If I choose a shaper like NS5 that is made for 8x rates and I feed PCM at like 96k and upsample to 352,8 that is not 8x but rather 3,68x. Is this correct or am I understanding this 8x/16x rates wrong?

49 minutes ago, firedog said:

For PCM, 44.1 and 48 are called 1X

88 and 96 are 2X

176 and 192 are 4X

352 and 384 are 8X

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

For noise-shaper selection, source rate or conversion ratio doesn't matter, only output rate. Thus in your case output rate is "8x" or "8fs". For those rates you can use NS5, NS9 or LNS15 shapers.

Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your support. So far I prefer NS5 in my system. LNS15 sounds a tad bright to me. Have to a/b with NS9 next.

One other question that interests me right now is if I imported a impulse response file in the convolution settings that is 384k and use for example sinc-M which upsamples 44,1k to 352,8 does convolution still work fine with the higher impulse response?

Hi folks, so far I am more than happy with the pcm upsampling using poly-sinc-ext2 at 384k. Was playing with TPDF and NS5 for a while now and I like TPDF better. Sounds a bit smoother to me. Is there any technical reason to use NS5 instead of TPDF with my settings?

21 hours ago, semente said:

I would expect NS5 to lower the noise floor in the audible range increasing perhaps the perceived sense of decay/low-level resolution?

NS5 sounds not as natural as TPDF to me in my system with said settings. NS5 resolves a tad better but I experience it as more siblant in my speaker setup. It works fine with my headphone rig though.