IGNORED

HQ Player

21 hours ago, Flextreme said:

Recently rediscovered the DSD filter in HQplayer. Love the gigantic (almost overly audiophile) liquid/plastic presentation of Sinc-L/ASDM7/@DSD256 on my AMD 5900x/RTX 3090 pc sourcing a May KTE.

Love to try ASDM7EC, but at DSD64 it barely works, higher DSD rates are constantly drop out, even with multicore DSP and Cuda enabled (and working, verified this). My guess my AMD x5900 is the limiting factor (processor or usb limitations?).

Did all recent  ZEN 3 platform updates for USB issues, but the fast MAY firmware (30.12) still does not work for me.

Anyone here got the May with 30.14 firmware running ASDM7EC at DSD256x on a AMD ZEN3 platform?

OK, after some extensive troubleshooting I think if found a solution to run ASDM7EC at DSD256x on a AMD ZEN3 platform without drops. This is probably specific to ZEN3.

Solution: Enable multi DSP and Cuda if possible. Fix and limit affinity of HQP to 3 threads on 3 separate logical processors on CCx1.

image.thumb.png.9f84091d753054215f830d6d7bb5d3ee.png

Create a shortcut with the command below, replace XXX with CMD, cloudfare blocks references to the cmd executable. This will fix HQP to the first 3 CPUs, non SMT.

C:\Windows\System32\XXX.exe /c start "C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop" /High /Affinity 15 "C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\HQPlayer4Desktop.exe"

Basically this is the ONLY way I can run ASDM7EC at DSD256x... All other masking/affinity options (more/less threads) will not work for me. At 4 or more logical CPUs, HQP threads seem to start jumping cores and it this seems to leads dropouts. 2 CPU's/Threads via masking is not enough for ASDM7EC. Ultimately,. something looks wrong with the scheduling of threads of HQP on AMD...

I'm confident other AMD users run into the same issues as me, hopefully this can help.

Edit: forgot to mention that his dramatically reduces CPU temperature, by more than 10c, and therefore my PC runs as quite as it can be. Very nice...

• 1 month later...

For my Susvara/Holo May I am currently using Roon Parametric EQ and then oversample to dsd256x ASDMEC7 with Sinc-L/Mx ... Love it to bits!

However, I was wondering if I use EQ/Convolution in HQplayer, instead of Roon EQ, would that yield even better results?

If so, which method in HQ player is prefered SQ wise?

And how can I translate my parametric EQ settings to HQplayer?

• 1 year later...