IGNORED

HQ Player

On the HQP client (Roon remote laptop), the matrix menu is on "default" while a matrix pipeline is checked "enabled" on HQP desktop (Roon server).
When, I select the same choice on HQP client ("enabled" on HQP Desk), I have an impression of an audio improvement ?

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

7 hours ago, Miska said:

For security and size reasons there's no ssh. There is really not much management to be done either.

It is official 64-bit RasPi realtime kernel.

I understand your security choices but... it's just missing a driver to get the port on the USBridge ;)

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska A good weapon for an HQP embeded version ??

https://www.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-ai-box-tx2/overview

The AI-Box is equipped with an NVIDIA® Jetson ™ TX2 module including powerful CUDA cores in combination with a power-saving ARM CPU. This makes the cirrus7 AI box interesting for a wide range of industrial, robotics and automation tasks.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

No, not particularly good... Relatively weak CPU and GPU. And their OS and driver stack is very difficult to deal with. I have one Jetson development kit, but gave up trying to use it for anything.

Yes.. i saw after.. only 256 CUDA Core.. not 2500 !! :)

3 hours ago, Miska said:

It is also worth trying setting DAC Bits to 20, this will likely provide better low level linearity. For exact value, linearity sweep measurement would be needed.

With RME ADI-2, I use "defaut" (32 bits) but can you describe "linearity sweep mesurement" ?? No interest to test 20bits with a RME... (?)
Thanks for your support and tips

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska Can you explain the "adaptive gain" option. I used a RME (with volume - DSP 48b enabled) and Roon  as HQP control with "autolevel" enabled too (>> auto 18lufs). 
In addition to the discussions on Leedh Processing (new algo), I am wondering about the management of digital volume and its application with oversampling.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Good oversampling produces much more precision than original samples (for example 64-bit), which needs to be then limited to the available output resolution (for example 32-bit). With higher oversampling factors, best way to do this is with noise shaping, since it provides more dynamic range in the original bandwidth than the dynamic range of the original data even if there are no additional bits available. If there are additional bits available, the combined effect is even bigger.

Even use of flat dither like TPDF avoids distortion one would get from basic truncation. For example TPDF dither to 32-bit ensures that the digital noise floor is anyway at least some 60 dB below the analog noise floor. With noise shaping one can pull this "safety margin" to 100 - 120 dB for example.

If I understand, it would be more interesting in the context of your association with Roon to recover the volume management data used by Roon and let HQP manage, rather than applying the Roon's 64b algorithm, upstream. (ex: 18 LUFS target with 64b float).

My files are not tagged via ReplayGain, it is Roon who does it on the fly but before processing HQP.
An evolution track of your partnership ?? ;)

A real upgrade, rather then Leedh processing (private joke)

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Miska said:

I would keep it "no foreground boost" if you cannot keep HQPlayer window in focus (topmost active) all the time. Otherwise if the active window switches over time it changes priority boosts accordingly.

After reading, I set the priority via ProcessLasso to "none".
And I use HQP desktop on my nuc win10 as a server with roon as remote.

For ProcessLasso "Tweak Screduler", i choosed : short, variable (22hex).

So HQP is launched via a batch script in a minimized window.
There is no possibility of launching it in "no gui" mode, quite simply ?
Like "fidelizer /S" or Roon in the notification aerea ?

[EDIT] i changed taskbar parameters.. >> HQP minimized as an icon in taskbar.

On 6/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, MemoryPlayer said:

Sorry for my previous question Miska...

Checking back I saw now we get all three platforms (Mac, Linux and Windows) with only one license!

This is not what I understood: a license for a version and one OS.
So HQP Desktop 4 on win10 and HQP 4 Embedded on Linux = 2 licenses.

Purchased license covers same major version (4.x) of the same product on the same operating system.

https://www.signalyst.com/webshop.html

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Output cannot exceed 0 dBFS. If the recording has enough headroom (IOW, loudest peaks don't reach 0 dBFS), you can use also positive gains to get closer to 0 dBFS. If HQPlayer noticed 0 dBFS is encountered it enforces volume limiting and increments the "Limited" counter you can see. So always make sure the counter stays at 0.

And if you have Roon as a remote control ... does that secure clipping, or not ? according to roon settings ?
And, HQP remote (to change filters, on fly) has not impact of quality...

• 2 weeks later...

About NAA : there is no configuration but there is a xml file in /etc/networkaudiod/networkaudiod.xml (i use GentooPlayer on USBridge).

What is the impact of this file and of  " period_time="100"  ".
It's a buffer data ? .. no correlation with HQPlayer buffer (ex: 50ms) ?

Or no adjustment and optimization in NAA or only (perhaps) via alsa ??

• 1 month later...

Shark teeth

For my understanding: when I use HQP (PCM 705/768 >> RME ADI-2) the processor works in cycles.
6/8% for 2 sec then a rise to 23/25% and we start again.
We see the drawing in "shark teeth".
Is it linked to a buffer management of HQP or ROON / HQP?
I use Roon as a remote control.
Important detail, I also have an HAF convolution (via Matrix menu)

HQP-6-24.jpg

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Likely it does, that is probably i9-10900K. I have one with i9-9900K and it works. But with the caveat that the cooling fan can get pretty loud under higher loads! So likely not something you'd want to have running in the listening space.

Small is beautiful but for some filters, we need power ! 
Apart from the noise of the cooling fans .. what do you think of the "digital noise" and "electric pollution"  used by these fans?
Snake oil ??
Fanless is only for the last streamer ?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

By manually switching off certain services in the registry. Without remote I get 45 processes. Here I wrote something about it:

Thanks.. 56 processes with some optimisations (Roon server, MinorityClean / Sexe64 and TightVNCServer loaded)

• 3 weeks later...

Wich filter for PCM equivalebt to ADSM7 for DSD ?

I explain: I have now stabilized my old i5.

I can listen DSD64 with HAF convolution processed by Roon and sinc-L with ADSM7 filters.
It's very good on my RME.

On the other hand, if I want to switch the PCM (44.1) to DSD64 .. impossible with sinc-l .. I have blanks every 2 sec.
So I switch PCMs to 705, sinc-L and LNS5 ..
but it's missing a little something ..
Is it because of the original file format (PCM not DSD) ? or can I try something else (instead of LNS5?).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New desired feature : automatic choice of modulator ??
I explain:
I am happy with 4.80.

Now I can use HF convolution directly in HQP with HiRes and DSD under my i5-470.
Before that was impossible for me .. dropout every 2 sec. I was forced to process the convolution under Roon.

Too happy... I let myself try the ADSM5EC. It will crash !!
Well no ... now it's okay !! I try ADSM7EC .. it will crash !!
Well no .. CPU at 85/90% but it works. Thank you !!! 😊

On the other hand, impossible to pass in input a HiRes or DSD file.
So the idea, as for the 1x or Nx filters : automate the choice of modulator according to the input signal.
ADSM7EC for all 44/16 and ADSM7 for everything else (DSD direct or HiRes - 88/96, etc.).