IGNORED

HQ Player

I love the new ADSM7EC modulator

It’s close to the limit of my CPU, running at 90-93, but very stable, no stutter whatsoever. 

HQ player setup

ADSM7EC

XTR-MP filters

DSD - 128 (maximum my TAD DAC does)

No buffer

Multicore DSP = Ticked

PC setup

Intel i7-7700T (not OC)

Windows Server 2019

Running AO & Fidelizer

No GPU

Prior to EC, I was using ADSM7! my CPU ran at 50-52%, so, overall the EC filter has added 40% additional load on CPU. 

• 10 months later...

@Miska CPU manufacturer’s only ever seem to add more cores rather than higher clock speeds. Some manufacturers offering 60+ cores, but low clock speeds. 

So here’s my question...Can you not program your modulators across multiple cores? For example 10 cores? Spreading the work load? (I know nothing about programming) 

• 1 month later...

Looking for some help/clarification. @Mitch has made me my 1st set of convolution filters, ranging from 44.1 -384khz. 

few questions to help get my head round things. I’m using Euphony running HQPlayer. 

- I’ve uploaded left & right files individually, for example. Went to HQplayer Convolution menu, attached 44.1khZ for left & right & pressed apply. Then repeated the process for the rest of the files. Is this right? Presume Convolution menu is the correct menu? 

- is my understanding correct here. HQplayer receive source file, for example a 44.1khz file, then makes convolution filter adjustments, then upscales to my desired choice? Can i still use DSD or does it need to be PCM.

- There’s a box for Expand HF in convolution menu, should I tick this? 

- How do you know if convolution is working? I had look at logs doesn’t say anything about convolution. 

13 hours ago, scintilla said:

Selecting expand HF scales the filter for the appropriate rate, so yes tick that.  I don't know if Jussi enabled a set of rate families in the latest versions, so I stick with one set of convolution filters at the highest rate that I typically will desire in my case 192khz, or the highest rate available if outputting DSD.  HQP takes care of the sample rate conversions, so there's no need to worry about that and you can output in either DSD or PCM as desired.  One way to tell if you have your filters implemented properly and operational is if the output level is significantly lower due to the convolution. 

Thanks, one question if you can answer? for 2 channel stereo should I use Convolution menu or Matrix pipeline?

@Miska sorry my lack of knowledge here is showing, re expand HF. I sampled using mic at 48khz. Then sent files to @mitchcohe created full set of files from 44.1-384khz. (Using Acourate). I’ve uploaded the 384khz to Convolution menu. 

Not sure if relevant but sample rate was from 10hz-24khz. 

based on info above should I tick the expand HF?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:03 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Jussi, first of all I would like to compliment the HQPlayer. The regular free updates are also exceptional and not a matter of course. Thanks a lot for this.

I don't want to argue. The forum also serves as customer feedback and I would like to advertise that I can also participate in future updates with a fixed clock frequency. My arguments:

1. I may not be the right yardstick. But many use AudiophilOptimizer and also follow some recommendations from it. For example:

2. Unfortunately, your requirement is no longer valid? In my case, all cores run significantly above this at 4.2GHz.

3. If I have counted correctly, there are dropouts with 4 users. These are the ones who wrote here.

But OK. I keep it like @bobflood and stick with 4.6.0. Still, I would be very sorry if I didn't attend future updates. 

Looking at previous posts between you & miska I would like to understand this further. If I’m understanding correctly? We can no longer set core frequency to the preferred CPU speed? If so, I presume this change will filter down to embedded version also?

I know a lot of Euphony / HQP users that set CPU frequency to their desired level. Why? From my experience with Turbo on it very much depends on the quality of the PSU/LPS you use. I’m using SJ LPS DC3 which is very good LPS, & I still set my core frequency to 4.6ghz, not the 5ghz it can do. It simple sound better for me. 

So taking this functionality away may not be a good thing. Seems step backwards in functionality. Now I could be missing something as to why @Miska has done this? Maybe Miska can explain what the benefits are? 

As I said at the beginning I may not be understanding this correctly, so apologies if I’m wrong in my thinking. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm just eager to utilize what ever they can offer, for improved sound quality... :D

Too bad they are so slow rolling out faster CPUs. ;)

There are no changes in 4.7.1 that should have big impact on these things. I changed a few optimizations, but those affect Pro more (to be released some time later).

For me, things run the same as before on i7-8086K, i9-9900K(S) and i9-10900K. I have one new machine with the new i9-10850K which is very close to i9-10900K, but cheaper. Will test on that one later (it runs Win 10).

Miska, you have to ask yourself how many if your customers have the latest & greatest CPU’s. I appreciate what you trying to achieve, but maybe it’s just too early. 

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, all XMOS implementations I know of are 32-bit, some also support 16-bit inputs in addition, but none support the 3-byte 24-bit format (inefficient to implement in computer and in hardware). Another thing is about how many bits the DAC chip understands. In case of PCM1704, it is 24-bit converter, if you send there more, the rest will be just truncated, which creates distortion. To avoid the distortion, you need to dither/noise-shape to correct depth.

Then, to linearize a ladder DAC further, one can look to what depth the converter is actual linear. And then noise-shape to that depth. This way only the linear region is utilized, but without loss of dynamic range, which may instead actually increase.

I have never used Gentoo player, but you can use realtime kernel and for NAA you can also use ramdisk since it doesn't store anything on the disk. For HQPlayer Embedded you shouldn't use ramdisk.

@Miska what’s the reasoning why you don’t recommend Ramdisk/Ramroot for HQ embedded? 

Like me I use Euphony/HQP with setup in SQ for using RAMROOT. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Miska said:

Why? I don't need to try STP/SFTP to know what happens with it. It is simple electrical thing.

Imagine if someone said upsampling is a waste of time?! Which I’ve seen this comment on various forums. To which I’ve encouraged many people to go & trial HQPlayer. Maybe you should follow my lead. I’d be very happy to send you a Sablon cable to trial?