IGNORED

HQ Player

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, Miska said:

If you are using DSD output, there are no bits to be lost. Volume control doesn't directly affect CPU load, only in case you are hitting the limiter at higher settings.

Does this suggest that when upsampling to PCM there will be losses because of volume control?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Miska said:

It works the same way as the earlier direct inputs. But now NAA can be used for input as well as output. Previously NAA was only capable of output (playback), but not input (capture/recording).

So now it is possible to have a network endpoint with ADC, S/PDIF or some other type of input.

Does this mean I can connect, e.g. using USB, a computer to the NAA which my HQP server sees as input, and have the server play back the input stream to - e.g. - the same NAA? Cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 10:44 AM, Miska said:

It usually still leaves plenty of images. But for example at 1.5 MHz Holo starts to become clean. But I think better way is to use DSD instead.

Depends on the OS and backend, there's practically no technical limit as such. On Linux at the moment PCM limit is 3.072 MHz. On macOS there's no limit (to be exact the limit is a bit over 4 GHz). On Windows the limit is at the moment 1.536 MHz. If needed, it is easy to extend the rates on Linux and Windows.

Got a Raspi 4 to work as NAA doing DSD256 with Holo 2 using the latest NAA image. When switching to PCM 1.536 MHz, I got sound, but with a horrible distortion, like a high-frequency ringing. Made me scared to destroy my tweeters. On a NUC NAA, got exactly this working fine (and enjoyed also the SQ :-). Is this to be expected? Can something be tuned...?
  • 1 year later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, Hensema said:

I can confirm that the new Intel Rocket Lake 11700 CPU is capable to upsample to Sinc-M, ASDM7EC, DSD256 without any issue. DSD512 with EC modulators is still not possible as expected.

Interesting, thanks for reporting. Is this i7-11700 without K? Have you also tried since-L?