IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, sixman said:

I use HAF filters in pipeline matrix in HQP. To me it sounded better than having the HAF filters in Roon. This is with upsampling to DSD256.

I agree.  HQPe handles the impulse file or applies the effect better or in a way I prefer more than Roon.  I don't use HQPe to upsample.

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

So a friend of mine has 1.536mhz working on his pi4 (his sotm sms200 ultra doesn't work, same as mine though). But my pi4 doesn't. 

With a USB HAT or the pi4 USB ports? I have a spare 4 I need to try this with NAA OS.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:55 AM, Miska said:

You enter the share address like "//192.168.1.10/music" and then username and password for it. It will end up mounted under "/smb" path.

Does the web interface for HQPe actually mount the network SMB share to the bootable filesystem or does this have to be done manually first?

I'm headless so it's a pain to add a video card, hook up monitor, blah blah.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, the web interface sets up the mount so that it gets automatically mounted on subsequent boots and also mounts it immediately. It will appear under "/smb" mount point.

I'm struggling to get it to work. I have a share that I can access without issue from other Windows and MacOS machines. I'm using //192.168.1.87/music (I've also tried //192.168.1.87/Music to no avail) but I'm not prompted for credentials nor is anything found when I have it scan /smb.

It's a Windows 10 host. I believe only SMB2/3 is supported but one can manually enable 1 if required.

I've got a monitor hooked up and will edit the fstab file. I'm running HQPe  4.21.1 and need to update anyway but I hate to break a working setup ;) It's part of the fun and keeps my mind busy so it's good.

Thanks for the suggestion. My goal is to only be able to use the HQP library/play direct for SQ comparison purposes.

I battling to understand a problem. HW is Holo May USB to Asrock x370 Pro gaming motherboard.

I can mostly get it to work with 768PCM. Great. But sometimes, and once it occurs it's tough to get it working again...booting up the DAC will sync at 48k with PC once powered up. As HQPe OS boots and enables the USB device the DAC will 'unlock' quickly 'lock' again at 48k and then display DSD512X and HQPe console reports USB device connected followed by 'unsupported format bits'. 

I've tried 0, 16 and 20 for DAC bits, doesn't seem to matter. I've tried disabling the DAC PLL, no change. Any ideas where the problem lies?

In the screen shot I manually pulled USB and reinserted to generate message.

IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.57f3642e9fdfcd6a801ce876b42c3f97.jpeg

I’m not even getting that far but will check fw at some point. I presume it has 768 capable version since I have had that working and when I tired 1536 it didn’t but now am stuck with this error and no connection. Hopefully it’s just the motherboard ports and the pci-e board on the way will work.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Those format bits just tell it is a DSD capable DAC. You can ignore that warning.

I'll email you directly. HPQeOS is restarting the computer when I try to play music. I've found the problem does not occur using 4.18.1 but does with 4.21.1 and 4.22.3. I tried an eval of Euphony hosting HQPe (4.21.1) and had no problems playing at all. I think a kernel parameter has been changed that my Asrock AMD-based board and Holo May don't like.

15 hours ago, lpost said:

I'll email you directly. HPQeOS is restarting the computer when I try to play music. I've found the problem does not occur using 4.18.1 but does with 4.21.1 and 4.22.3. I tried an eval of Euphony hosting HQPe (4.21.1) and had no problems playing at all. I think a kernel parameter has been changed that my Asrock AMD-based board and Holo May don't like.

I've discovered the issue appears to be with Matrix processing of convolution files. I've used the same files for over a year but if I disable matrix processing, HQPe is stable and works at 1.536Mhz PCM without issue. With matrix enabled it's not stable at any rate even no upsampling.

29 minutes ago, ted_b said:

It happens to me invariably when I am away from it for a few hours.  I simply (via TightVNC) go to settings (as if I am going to change filters, etc) and hit ok.  Seems to work every time, and no need to close either Roon or HQP.

I find the same and more frequent since 4.18.1. Go back and try it for a few days to confirm.

I found that separating HQPe and NAA to be a good thing. Both machines running HQPeOS (as opposed to NAA image) with just the appropriate daemons running, respectively.

Asrock x370 Pro gaming via USB to Holo May would simply go poof and reboot after a few hours or a few minutes. Disabling Matrix processing helped but the convolution files are unchanged for over a year. New copies didn't help if there was any corruption.

Separating the two processes has helped so far to become as stable as 4.18.1 was for me but it's only been a couple days and not more than 30 mins. before a restart. I've requested a license transfer but I hope Jussi is taking the weekend off :) The man works nearly nonstop and we bless him for it.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, GoldenOne said:

So I've tried a few things, using different sources, buffer settings, USB 3.0 vs 2.0 port, even changing USB cable, but so far not much luck other than one change;
When I use the HQP NAA image, the music plays at the correct speed, but sounds robotic and distorted (video here: https://streamable.com/mikhdf )

I have precisely this same robotic sound with 1.5Mhz at either 16 or 20bit using AMD onboard USB or Asmedia PCI-e host adaptor(s). I've tried numerous Asmedia chipsets. Did you ever find a solution or just stick with 768k? 

Does Intel make PCI-e USB host adaptors? It seems not.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:10 PM, kelvinwsy said:

IMHO you should download awindows Server 2019 and Windows LTSC and do a shootout with Win 10 Pro... It is as clear as Night and Day.. top rank and descending order to wirst

Windows Server 2019 Core Mode

Windows Server 2019 GUI

Windows Server 2016 Core

Windows LTSC

Windows 10 Pro

NB all running Hqplayer Desktop 

and For WinServer 2016 and 2019 you need AudioOptimizer for Hqplayer to work

What are the sonic differences? A sense of calm, quieter background .. less or no congestionwhen the playback volune is raised on WinServer 2019 with AO3 compare to LTSC( I upgraded my winserver 2016 to 2019 Core)

Windows 10 Pro is noisy, cluttered sound and congestion in the Sound .. most subtle ambinent or hall effects ( natural or DSP) gets buried in the noise. As a result SQ, Sound Stage Depth , Separation , enganced "body" to voices and instruments , deeper and clearer bass and sweeter cleaner highs all all evudent on a Winserver 2028/AO Hqplayer playbk PC.. 5 mintes comparison is all it takes

Happy listening

What topology are you using? If HQP is running on a network machine sending data to NAA the OS should make no difference.

I run Windows 10 hosting Roon which sends to HQPe running on another computer which sends to NAA running on a mini computer that is USB connected to my DAC. I get no SQ differences by making changes or increase/decrease services or daemons or CPU load on either the Windows or HQPe machine. Only the NAA matters.

On 3/10/2021 at 4:48 AM, Miska said:

Yes, that's the case.

Using the parametric eq files is quite a bit lighter to process at least. You can try if you notice any audible difference. Shouldn't be big though.

I'm tried the peq file for HE4XX and while I've got it to play with it in the pipeline, HQPe is not so stable. Removing it from the pipeline restores normal stability. Tracks will play for a few seconds and stop or play all the way through and stop on the next track. If I try to plot the files, the web interface drops and sometimes doesn't reload requiring a reboot. I also had to reload the flash drive as one time the system would no longer load the web server. I didn't have logging on but am happy to troubleshoot if it's helpful. Running HQPeOS 4.22.3.

The file is simply, I've got plenty of negative gain so I removed the value from the text file.

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 22 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 0.50

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 237 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 0.92

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 989 Hz Gain -2.8 dB Q 2.83

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1805 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 2.61

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5328 Hz Gain 3.7 dB Q 5.04

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2245 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 6.37

Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2847 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 3.79

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9395 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 1.50

Filter 9: ON PK Fc 12032 Hz Gain 0.7 dB Q 1.74

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19544 Hz Gain -10.2 dB Q 0.34

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

Log file would be certainly good for figuring out what is going wrong. Which OS / HQPlayer Embedded build is this?

Here's +6, so if you don't use the preamp feature, you need to make sure not to turn HQPlayer volume higher than -9 dBFS.

I run between -40 and -25dB to gain match with my preamp. The preamp sounds better above 50% level and need this to compensate.

Running HQPeOS 4.22.3. I'll turn on logging and retry later and post, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Sorry you're pulling your hair out. This can be frustrating. Do you have just the two machines in the mix? Your existing powerful PC and the new NUC (which model?)? Are you trying to get to a single machine or what is the goal with the NUC?

I've had success by separating Roon on Windows, HQPe image and NAA image on three separate machines. The most powerful is the HQPe machine but only a i7-6770 retired business machine from 2017. The NAA is the inexpensive, silent and cool running UP-board gateway SoC. It does 32fs 20-bit perfectly for several months nearly continuously while running my May in.

Seems like a NUC is overkill for a NAA device and clearly the one you have doesn't work well at all for the job. Jussi's bootable NAA image is the best bet in my opinion. He's done all the hard work for us.

P.S. I'd like to try the new filters, patiently waiting for HQPe to be updated/released.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I prefer a Linux NAA image because it works like an appliance. There’s nothing to do to it. It just works. Windows is a completely different animal. 

The only time the Linux NAA is problematic is when the device has multiple NICs. In this case hqplayer image with only networkaudiod (hqplayerd disabled) is best as it will auto bridge the interfaces. Just remember to rename the host to avoid network conflicts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, Miska said:

If you are already using HQPlayer Desktop, Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 with kernel switched to my custom one, or to Ubuntu's lowlatency kernel should be pretty straightforward platform. It can also co-exist with Windows 10 on the same machine and you can choose which one to boot.

Note, on some very newest hardware you'd possibly like to use the "hwe lowlatency" kernel, which has pretty much latest support for new hardware. I'm using it on my Ryzen 7 5800X + B550 machine.

Which B550 MB are you using? I need to upgrade my HQPe OS machine and would rather buy something known to work. Or do you recommend something else specifically for HQPe OS? I'm not looking to build a screamer for DSD512 just a good value machine that's more capable than an i7-6770 from yesteryear.