IGNORED

HQ Player

Hello HQPlayer lovers,

i am using Euphony OS with the HQPlayer trial version for 2 days now and i am completely overwhelmed by the sound quality.

With my little NUC 8i5 in it's Akasa fanless case i am able to use poly-sync-mp-2s with DSD7 256+fs and upsampling to DSD512.
I don't know why but DSD7 256+fs sounds best to my ears. Also better than AMSDM7 512+fs.

Never tought this would be possible with this little machine. 

Thank you a lot 🤗 @Miska

image.thumb.png.15e6fdb9a057d0a6eb6da12396f920b3.png

I have tried a lot settings the last few hours and it is a lot of fun :-)

Are there any recommended settings for my Burson Conductor 3XP? It has a ESS 9038Q2M Chip.

From a technical point of view which modulators is the most recommended for the ESS DAC?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Best

Dominik

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, christoph said:

I did as well but roon almost always preferring Tidal made me sign out of Tidal for good

Did Roon simply switch to Qobuz Songs and are the Music recommendations as good as with Tidal (or Tidal+Qobuz)?

I have sometimes the feeling that the Roon recommendations are better with Roon and Tidal?!

Hi HQPlayer Users :-)

i've tried to find the "best" settings for my ifi Pro iDSD (4x BurrBrown 1793). 

At the moment i like ASDM7EC and poly-sinc-gauss a lot (more than poly-sinc-ext2). Is there any "go to" recommendation for BurrBrown DACs? 

Beside of that can i optimize anything in my settings to get a better performance/sound quality?

Thanks for your help.

Best

Dominik

image.png

16 hours ago, Miska said:

Both ASDM7EC and ASDM5EC are fine. If you can, select "AFIR4" analog DSD filter on the TI/BB DAC chip.

Note that the different DSD filters on TI/BB chips have gain differences (couple of dB), this is good to take into account when comparing.

As far as i know the Pro iDSD always do not apply any filters to the DSD signal.

Do you may have a good advice for a filter that works great with the BB chips?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

DSD to analog conversion is a filter. TI/BB DAC chips offer four different conversion stage configurations that each give different filter frequency response and output level.

Upsampling filter is up to your choice, modulators depend somewhat on the used converter. With TI/BB chips you can use either ASDM7(EC) or ASDM5(EC) since they have relatively steep D/A conversion filter.

Thats the point where i really struggle :-D

It is so hard to find the right filter for me. I have tried these filter:

poly-sinc-ext2: sounds a bit to "closed in" for me. The soundstage feels a big narrow but detail retrival is very good

poly-sinc-gauss (long): first i liked it a lot but there is something that sounds a bit "weird" to my taste. Sometimes the whole stage seems to be far away.

sinc-M: sounds really good to my taste so far.

By conicidence i have tried poly-sinc-short-mp and poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp and my initial impressions are overwhelming :-D

I think i like these the most so far. But the "normal" version is very CPU heavy so i think i have to go to "-2s" with my Mac Mini M1.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

This is a bit of surprise. Does ext3 change this in any direction?

Sadly my M1 Mac Mini dont do ext3 with the EX modulators :-(

But i have tried the closed-form filters (closed-form-16M) and what i have heard so far is really amazing. Very engaging, wide soundstage and no listening fatique over time. I did not expect that because i never tried them :-D

Everything sounds so real and "direct" in my setup (ifi Pro iDSD + Pro iCAN with Hifiman HE1000 v2 & Meze Empyrean).

Especially voices are amazing and Diana Krall is making me goosebumps with every song.

The only thing is that i can not really decide between closed-form and closed-form-16M :-D

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miska said:

Looks OK to me. I've only tested with real hardware inputs, but this shouldn't be any different.

Do you get some error when loading the input URI? Or when starting playback?

HQPlayer told me that Input and Output could not be the same (CoreAudio).

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

And what happens when you try to load the input URI to transport? Any errors at that point? And what happens when you try to start HQPlayer playback? Any errors at that point?

I have selected audio:default/44100/2 but nothing happens. and no errors appear. But i can play totally fine through Roon.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you use USB interface, leave default output word length. If you use dual-S/PDIF like SRC-DX, set output word length to 24 bits. Output 705.6/768k rate, you can use either one as constant rate as Chord will run conversion at constant rate anyway. Use either TPDF or Gauss1 dither, or LNS15 noise-shaper.

Filter up to your choice, but poly-sinc-ext2, poly-sinc-gauss-long and poly-sinc-short-mp are a good starting point depending on source content.

I don't know why would you want to get close to MScaler, but sinc-L is maybe most similar. But note that it is non-apodizing, so you won't have source content errors corrected which is especially important for 1x sources.

Thank you very much that helps a lot :D

Can you may tell me the benefit of Sinc-Mx compared to Sinc-M? Is Sinc-Mx technically superior than Sinc-M?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

sinc-Mx operates similar way as other filters, where filter response is same regardless of conversion ratio. IOW, the filter length scales with the conversion ratio. While sinc-M is fixed length and thus filter response depends on the conversion ratio. This also means that sinc-Mx has constant delay, unlike sinc-M.

They are the same at 16x conversion ratio.

Thanks a lot :-)

With my Pro iDSD i like Closed-Form-M a lot but with the Hugo feeding in PCM i am able to use the "poly-sinc-gauss-xla" Filter and it sounds absolutely gorgeous! Everything sound so realstic and authentic. Wonderful!

I'm just a bit unsure if i should use LNS9 or LNS15... can you may explain what is the difference between the two? I think i like LNS9 a bit more but that could be just a placebo 9_9

• 11 months later...

Hello @Miska

i have a new DAC and struggle a bit with the best settings because it is my first ESS DAC (9028 Pro).

What settings do you recommend for this ESS DAC? By the way it is a Cayin iDAC-6 MK2

As far as I know ASDM5ecv2 is more recommend than ASDM7ecv2?

Is 48k DSD recommended for ESS DACs and what DSD Filter should I choose? 47 or 50?

thanks for your help and have a great day

best

Dominik

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello @Miska

I know you had a Topping D30 Pro and wanted to ask which PCM Dither and DAC Bits Setting do you recommend for this DAC?

Do you prefer PCM or DSD Upsampling in this specific case?

Thank you very much for your help

Best

Dominik