IGNORED

HQ Player

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a question about HQPDesktop 3 and USB output priority:

I have a mac mini, connected via USB to my integrated ampli (with DAC inside) Roon HQP3, all works fine.

My HQP settings are:

714961432_Capturedcran2019-09-2017_35_43.png.dbe0b5d00fd9b3c381481d271febc6f2.png

Or:

87542596_Capturedcran2019-09-2017_35_27.png.78ac06d456014b558647d0e986e360cd.png

But when I want to hear an internet sound or VLC sound, I must shut of HQP, it's impossible to give priority to an over media.

Even if I choose my USB on VLC setting.

My mac audio settings: I choose my USB for sound output, but when Roon's running it move to an over output in settings !

1170390763_Capturedcran2019-09-2017_42_37.png.ad88cd24df07bea73e5be1d34f627df4.png

Is there a solution without shutting HQP ?

Thanks

• 10 months later...

2 questions, probably for Miska,

I am using Roon + HQP 4 Dekstop on a mac mini 2020 i7
I limit my setting to 24 bits and 96 KHZ only in PCM
following the recommendations for using HQP, I reduced the volume of HPQ by -2 db.
I see, after comparison, the feeling of losing low frequencies with this reduction in volume of HPQ
the bass are less deep, even if I increase the volume of my amplifier, to compensate for the drop in HQP, I cannot find the same bass level as leaving HPQ at MAX volume.
1: Does HQP volume reduction, reduce frequencies?
2: can I leave the HPQ volume at MAX (button still red)? what risk on my listening in 24/96?
after a few hours of listening with HQP at MAX volume, I did not notice any deterioration of the signal.
thank you in advance.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Miska said:

Yes, but it will trigger soft knee limiter every time output level exceeds 0 dBFS. From "Limited" counter you can see how many times it has been triggered. You would want it to stay at 0 all the way from beginning instead of being enforced during listening.

Hi Miska,

how can I see how many times it has been trigged ?

somewhere in the log file I imagine ?

thanks

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Miska said:
5 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Your reply implies that there are some instances where Roon passes through the file completely untouched but I wasn't aware of that. That is part of the reason why I have stopped using Roon and instead use HQPDcontrol to play my locally stored files through HQ Player. Does Roon ever 'pass through' files without altering them in any way?

Depends if you consider decoding as altering. But bare undecoded files, never.

However, there is a SQ difference when using HQP alone or via Roon!
without using any Roon settings.
it's tiny, but I prefer HQP alone.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Miska said:

ext3 is much steeper version of ext2, I posted the responses on Roon forum, so I can do the same here too.

So here's ext2 (RedBook source):

poly-sinc-ext2.png.4129aab52ba18ad7df815d8d8ce223cd.png

And here's ext3:

poly-sinc-ext3.png.e81a8ad5c0fa367d913c8540f078fd5a.png

Very interesting 

I’ve just tested ext3, I usually use sinc-lp, ext3 sounds good on my system 

Is it possible to have poly-sinc-lp responses ?
Thanks

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Miska said:

Did you make changes to the filter perhaps? That delay mostly depends on the selected filter.

What I've tested on my Mac Mini M1, HQPlayer works on Ventura just like before.

I don't have any Intel Macs with Ventura yet. I want to get next HQPlayer release out before I upgrade, because I have only one new enough Intel Mac that can be upgraded. And as usual, upgrading macOS means upgrading Xcode which also means that all requirements move forward too (minimum OS version, etc).

Hello Miska,

no change in filters.
I even tried with "none" in filter and dither
I am in PCM and max converted 24/96
no convolution
So nothing exceptional as settings!
I tried to remove reinstall, clear data...
still this huge delay

thanks

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

How about local playback from HQPlayer's library, without Roon? Because when you have Roon and HQPlayer talking to each other, you always have network involved. So sounds like a potential networking problem introduced with OS upgrade. Are Roon and HQPlayer on the same machine? Address defined as 127.0.0.1? Or "localhost"? Or something else?

Hi Miska,

Roon and HQP are on the same machine
when I listen to HQP alone, I also have this delay.
The delay is present at the launch of the album or playlist, but if I advance in the song or switch to the next song of the same album or playlsit, there is no more delay.
I drive HQP desktop with the HQPDcontrolv4 application

Between Roon and HQP, the communication is done quickly, when I change song in Roon, the song changes immediately in HQP but the playback starts only after this delay.

I had tested HQP4Client on "localhost", always this delay

thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi Miska,

I'm interested by HQP desktop 5, but I already have a delay problem with HQP 4 and my mac mini intel (not M1) with Ventura.

We had an exchange here on this topic, last october.

So I'm still with Monterey.

Do you know (or someone else) if there is no delay with HQP desktop 5 and Monterey with a mac mini (intel - not M1) ?

Thanks