IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I have been using HQPlayer and Roon for several months on a linux based system. Sounds fantastic.

I also generated convolution filters using Acourate.

I find that each time I start my computer and launch HQPlayer it remembers the previous settings including the file paths to the convolution filters. However, although the file paths are there I have to relink/reenter the file paths for the convolution filters to get them to work. Is there any way to permanently link them?

I have some difficulty understanding you. If HQPlayer remembers your previous settings, including the file paths, then why do you have to re-enter them? I have a similar setup to yours (except that I am running on Windows, not Linux) and I have no problem having to re-enter the paths for my convolution filters?

I dont understand the problem either. The file path is there in the convolution window IR File selection, but when I restart it does not work unless I go into the search function and re select the same file path. Each time I restart I see nothing in the IR gain box down the bottom until I reselect the files. Strange!

Thank you Miska, I will try this later.

tboooe, I think the reason you have clipping is most likely from your filters rather than HQPlayer. If you were using Acourate, you need to go through a step where you normalize your filters, so that your correction does not exceed 0dB. If it exceeds 0dB, you will get clipping, no matter what volume you are playing back with on your convolution engine. I am not sure how well REW does the normalization (as it appears that you have already tried this), but perhaps try normalizing it to -3dB or -6dB and see how you go?

I have some difficulty understanding you. If HQPlayer remembers your previous settings, including the file paths, then why do you have to re-enter them? I have a similar setup to yours (except that I am running on Windows, not Linux) and I have no problem having to re-enter the paths for my convolution filters?

Do you use overlap-add or overlap-save? I wonder if that is the issue as I have been using overlap-add.

How many channels do you need? Do you plan to run convolution? If you are running no convolution, and only doing two channels - an i7-6700T will easily fit the bill.

As for me, I am running 8 channels with convolution on an i7-6700K, and I am running out of CPU power. Upsampling to DSD 512 uses 80% CPU, and attempting to play a native DSD file is impossible because the CPU maxes out. I haven't bothered asking Miska to help me solve this, because it's not his problem - it's mine.

Not my area of expertise but you need a multicore/multiprocessor computer - something designed for signal processing.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I did this comparison with HAF xtalk reduction filters. Iam upsampling to dsd256 though, not sure if dsd upsampling makes a difference or not. But running the filters in pipeline matrix in hqp-naa sounded much better to me than running the filters and upsampling and outputting from roon-roonbridge.

• 4 weeks later...

Choice of upsampling, filters etc depends on dac, rest of the system, and most importantly listening preferences. Whether someone else prefers pcm or dsd or this or that filter is irrelevant to you - you have to try and work out what works best for you in your system.

20 yrs ago we used to buy components that matched well sonically eg bright speakers - buy a "warm" dac. The beauty of hqp is you can now completely change the sound without having to change hardware, even more so if you add convolution. Make it sound warm like tubes/harbeth or sharp/accurate like magtech/stats. You can change on the fly depending on source material or even mood/ambience.

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Correct. However, the selection of options and variety of their combinations in HQP may be slightly overwhelming for a newcomer. That is why it would make sense to try settings already preferred by others for a start and then go on further. Or check manual which may be clearly understood or not. Or, to start with random hit and miss strategy, if one choose. 

The first step for a newcomer is to workout the optimal input rate for their dac. Although a dac may accept dsd, it may perform better with pcm input. Try max rate for pcm and dsd that the dac will accept. Use the same/similar modulator and filter -then from there try different filters.

Unless they have your system and ears - no point using your settings as a starting point. Might totally confuse and put them off.

3 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

HQ Player inside Roon even if no upsampling?

This might be a dumb question, but I keep reading HQ Player is better sounding than Roon. I used to use Audirvana+ 3 but the more recent build of Roon has finally beaten that on sound. I don't upsample as have an R-2R DAC which is also filterless.

Can anyone advise if HQ Player is still better than Roon player (inside Roon) and avoiding the usual 'up sampling is better' subject. Too big a subject / another subject . Thanks

What dac do you have?

What pcm rate does it accept?

Sounds like no point for you to use any dsp.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sigi said:

Hi Miska,

I am normally using Room correction Filters made with Acourate and use the Acourate Convolver together with HQPlayer.

Also your Matrix works fine with the wav filters in my 8 Channel system. 

What would be fine is the possibility to change on the fly different sets of filters generated with different target curves from Acourate. Are you planning this for future development?

best regards

Sigi

Can I ask how you are getting Accourate convolver to output through HQP?

Would love to use Acourate Flow with HQP upsampling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

23 minutes ago, Miska said:

That happens if you have "Auto rate family" enabled. Most DACs and/or ASIO drivers don't support 48k-base DSD rates. You need to uncheck the "Auto rate family" to allow HQPlayer to convert 48/96/192k content to 44.1k x256 rate...

I had this problem even with "auto rate family"  unchecked when upsampling to 44.1k x256. Sometimes would get pops between tracks of different base rates.

If using Roon create a custom upsample and then upsample all 48 multiples in Roon to 24/352.8 before sending to HQP. That fixed all 48k (and multiples) to 44.1k dsd issues in hqp.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Miska, most dacs have their own internal SRC and resample to their own intrinsic rate, as well as apply their own filters to the incoming signal. Does this negate the processing done in HQP to some extent?

I always wonder if people with say a PS Audio DS dac get the same benefit of using HQP?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, bobflood said:

Anything that is a "modulator" is only for a direct digital stream (DSD). PCM must first be converted to a direct digital stream before SDM (Sigma Delta Modulation) can be applied to it. True PCM playback can only be accomplished by hardware that does multi-bit processing. A good example is a R2R ladder DAC like those used by MSB, Holo or Denifripps to mention just a few. The other way is by using a multi-bit chip like Schiit does in some of its DACs.

Most chip DACs use a proprietary process to convert incoming PCM to a digital stream before applying SDM modulation to it.

The bottom line is that unless one has heard PCM converted by a multi-bit processor, one has not really heard PCM.

So what do the different modulator options for PCM in HQP do? Does HQP convert to DSD and then back again?

• 3 years later...