IGNORED

HQ Player

Hello Miska,

I'm new to HQPlayer now that you are integrating with Roon. I've been using Audirvana and am curious if you will support AU or VST plugins. I use Voxengo Gliss for parametric EQ in Audirvana and would like to see that capability in HQPlayer. I believe the sound quality is better in HQPlayer when compared with non-EQ'd Audirvana, so adding EQ via plugins to HQPlayer would be ideal.

Also, I have a Gungnir multi-bit DAC and was wondering if that has any bearing on which filter to choose. I've been using poly-sinc-short-mp so far.

You can do EQ in HQPlayer using the provided convolution engine. You can use for example RoomEq Wizard to create a filter with multiple parametric EQs. Acourate is powerful application that can be also used to create many different kinds of filters.

Support for external plugins is not in the plans. So far plugins like AU and VST support only PCM, while HQPlayer provides equivalent functionality for both PCM and DSD. Thus such plugins would add artificial limitations to the processing chain.

I tried the convolution engine and the results don't match what I was expecting. Should I exaggerate the values in Room EQ Wizard even more than I have them below? With the following values I don't get the bump around 4K I was expecting. In Audirvana I use Voxengo Gliss and I took the values I use there as a basis for the Room EQ filters and am only getting minor results so I exaggerated them but still the audio is kind of veiled.

Room EQ V5.14

Dated: Dec 31, 2015 2:05:26 PM

Notes:

Equaliser: Generic

No measurement

Filter 1: ON LS Fc 59.8 Hz Gain 10.0 dB

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 132 Hz Gain -8.0 dB Q 14.14

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 840 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 10.61

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4,220 Hz Gain 16.0 dB Q 10.61

Filter 5: ON HS Fc 11,625 Hz Gain 12.0 dB

Filter 6: OFF None

Filter 7: OFF None

Filter 8: OFF None

Filter 9: OFF None

Filter 10: OFF None

Filter 11: OFF None

Filter 12: OFF None

Filter 13: OFF None

Filter 14: OFF None

Filter 15: OFF None

Filter 16: OFF None

Filter 17: OFF None

Filter 18: OFF None

Filter 19: OFF None

Filter 20: OFF None

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Using Roon > HQPlayer 4 and DSD output is not working. I click play in Roon and it stays at 0:00. If I try it with HQPlayer 3 it works fine. Here are my settings for both. Any recommendations? I tried changing SDM Pack under Input Device Settings to none rather than DoP and still nothing happens.

image.png.cc8bf8afa1d9d3449818f13e9997091c.png

image.thumb.png.9f02ac104c8d737c25b44165bed6ee7b.png

2 hours ago, Miska said:

What kind of source are you trying to play? Here you are asking PCM->PCM and DSD->DSD. For DSD sources, what are your settings in DSD Sources dialog?

Hi Miska - I upgraded to 4.0.4 and it appears to work now. Here are the DSD Source Settings (I'm playing a DSF file):

image.png.86dbc0f337fa9a31b219da670430ce52.png

• 2 months later...

@Miska I'm using HQPlayer 4.1.0.1 with a MicroRendu connected via USB to a Denafrips Terminator. When I try to play native DSD or upsampled PCM to DSD, it switches to PCM. If I go through a Singxer SU-1 to I2S on the Terminator, DSD works fine. The USB on the new Terminator DSP sounds better than I2S so I was hoping to be able to get USB to play DSD directly. Anything that I should check on the setup?

Thanks,

-Ted

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Maybe the kernel in microRendu is not new enough to have the autodetection code. Or it needs some kernel work to get it enabled.

If you have a spare PC that you can boot temporarily from USB memory stick to my NAA image you could check if that works. It would indicate if the necessary work is already done or if something more is needed.

@Miska Where can I get your NAA image? BTW, the latest Audirvana does upsample DSD fine in the same scenario (microrendu to Denafrips Terminator with new DSP card via USB)

I"m going from Roon > HQPlayer 4 and if I upsample Redbook audio or 88.2/24 to DSD it plays fine. When I try to upsample a high res 96/24 or 192/24 PCM file to DSD it doesn't play. What would be the proper settings to be able to play those PCM files, and alternately is it possible to choose to upsample only redbook audio to DSD and keep high res 96/24 or 192/24 as PCM?