IGNORED

HQ Player

Is there a thread I can read, for novice or beginner users?  I have basic questions that I feel don't belong here.  I'm a blind user, who needs to hear the speech program I use.  When I tried installing HQ, and tried to run it, my speech program went silent.  I'm using 32GB of RAM, so I should have enough to run the player.  Is there somewhere where I can start with basic info?

Thanks.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, Bob Stern said:

Mac, Windows or Linux?

Do you want to output the speech program and HQP to the same speakers or different speakers?

W10.  I found the problem in sound preferences, allowing exclusive use, which I unchecked.  I can now read the main screen from HQ.  The learning process is just beginning.  Not sure how long the trial period is.  But, thanks for responding.  You're the first to do so on this massive site in general.

I'm certainly hoping for better feedback about this program.  The owner of JRiver loosely said that he couldn't care less if his program was accessible to all.

1 hour ago, jriver said:

Sorry if you interpreted something that way.  I don't believe I've said that.  I'm jimh at jriver if you want to check again.

I sent you an email, quite a few years ago.  I've found that it is assumed that most blind guys use MP3 files.  It must be obvious, since we don't have access to superior players.  Like Hornsby said:  That's just the way it is; some things will never change.  I've just given up on people in general.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

This means the audio goes through OS mixer and rate conversion, so the benefits of HQPlayer are lost. I would recommend to use something like built-in audio device for screen reader and DAC only (exclusively) for HQPlayer output. There is no way to make both work on the same audio device properly.

So you would need a second small and cheap set of speakers (likely active ones) for speech output.

Thanks.  I'm a headphone listener with Hugo2..  Speakers mainly for screenreader and low-fi stuff like movies and books.  I just need to figure a way for HQ to stop silencing my JAWS program.  By the way, how long is the trial period before I have to take the chance?