IGNORED

HQ Player

Hey guys. I've been using HQPlayer for a few months now and love it. I recently was having alot of audio dropout issues with my HQ/Roon setup. I simply deleted the HQPlayer XML and reset everything. No DSD, just PCM through my NAD C510 DAC. The highest bitrate I can go 24 bit, 192khz. My settings are Poly-sinc, TDPF, PCM. Everything outputs at 192khz (even for 16, 44.1 files) and it's working flawlessly. I swear my old settings output at 176 khz and now it's all ouputting at 192. I prefer 192 since when I switch to computer audio (youtube etc) it also outputs at 192khz per my audio output settings so I don't have any weird pitch issues going back to HQPlayer/Roon - which I had earlier at 176khz. Just want to make sure 192 is correct. I hope so, since it's working flawlessly!

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

What is the difference between 1x and Nx oversampling?

I have them both set the same.

Should they be different?

Are Poly-sinc-xtr and Poly-sinc-xtr-lp the same? 

I don't think of 4.0 as an Upgrade, but a New Version altogether.

I'm very happy with it, tho it was a tough sled to get it all going and registered...

Hmmm, User-errors likely.

Good help here!

I have the same question. I upgraded to HQPlayer 4 Desktop and have both filter 1x and Nx at Poly-sinc-short-mp. Only using PCM, no DSD capabilities. Sounds great to me but why two filters now? I have no need to change it, just curious.

Thanks,

Spencer

image.thumb.png.ed8d6de804dd665c3571bc14bf7200a3.png

I immediately updated to HQP4 Desktop once I saw it was out there. Why? Cause I love HQP running with Roon on my windows 10PC. And it does sound really great and seems like an improvement over HQP3. I'm just not sure exactly how, but I'm curious. Maybe Jussi can elaborate. Is it in the filter, or the dither? My settings (attached) sound perfect for my PCM only DAC.

Just sharing the love!

Spence

HQPlayer4Settings_REVISED_042719.jpg

2 minutes ago, juanitox said:

or perhaps we want it strongly to justify the extra cost

improvement in audio is so subjective  ,   the extra features are not  and the new input device is  really a cool thing 😉

Could someone explain what the input device means? I use Roon to feed HQ Player. My output is ASIO. Does input device matter in this scenario?  I posted my settings above. Just curious what input device does.

Thanks,

Spence

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Question for Miska. I just set up the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I've got it working great on my Windows 10 PC. I'm using Roon with HQP 4.02 and converting everything to DSD. That's working great and sounds wonderful. But if I try to watch a video on youtube I get no sound.

I can JRiver to play, I just need to restart HQP to use Roon again. But what about sound from the internet and other programs?

Appreciate any help.

Settings attached.

Thanks,

Spence

HPPlayerSettings_ADI_ASIO_051619.jpg

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

For Windows only!

There are two methods to loopback the sound:

Method 1

Part A:

If your sound card supports it, in the Windows Sound panel, under the Recording tab, set the “Stereo mix” or “loopback” device as the default (there isn’t one in the pic below):

image.png.3f9cb178b9ba564c056d47cc0fedd797.png

Click on Properties and under the Advanced tab, select the bit rate and sample rate.  You will use the same values in HQplayer:

image.png.0c1235ee3ff54617726236a850c9d9cd.png

Part B:

In HQPlayer, in the settings, select the “Stereo mix” (or “loopback”) as the input device (backend=WASAPI).

Then, select the bit rate/sample rate:

image.png.5a38a1a8beb3d40f378bae66d07310ab.png

Then, with the focus on that box (with the bit rate/sample rate) hit Enter. It should look like this:

image.png.18218e106ad0f808f1081f096d9e5ba5.png

Now, click on the line under Length/Artist/Album/Song:

image.png.357ba114f0d024f6e3fcc47f2bbba9cc.png

You should be all set.

Method 2

If 1 above is not an option, you will need to install a virtual cable.  Google Virtual Audio Cable by Eugene Muzychenko or VB-Audio Cable. Download and install the virtual cable.

Part A:

In the Windows Sound panel, under the Recording tab, set the virtual cable as the default. Click on Properties and under the Advanced tab, select the bit rate and sample rate.  You will use the same values in HQplayer.

Part B:

Same as Part B above, except select the virtual cable instead of “stereo mix” (or “loopback”).

Hey. Thanks for your suggestions. But, I'm still not getting the volume from the computer (youtube). Sorry, I tried it...

If you post some screenshots (like those in my post above), maybe someone can help you.

Here's some screenshots. HQPlayer is working great, but when I try to play youtube for "Playback" it appears to be using the Realtek Digital Output and you can see it's getting a signal. But no sound. I'm also getting "device in use" errors when I test the playback and recording devices. And I'm not sure why I need a "recording" device for listening to youtube?

I really appreciate all your help guys!

PC_SoundsScreenshots.jpg

OK. In the Windows Sound Panel under the Recording tab, select the Stereo mix device. Click on Properties.  See if there is a tab named Listen. If so,  where it says Playback Through This Device, select your output device.

Also, see if "Stereo mix" appears as a Playback device (under Playback tab), select that as default.  Maybe you will need to "show disabled devices" and enable it).

Thanks. I'm at work now so can't test for a few hours. I did remote in and see the "listen" tab in the stereo mix properties. It was set at "Realtek Digital Output". The only other option is "Default Playback Device". I selected that one since the "Realtek" wasn't giving me any sound. Will report back later. Thanks everyone for your help.

Spence

PC_SoundsScreenshots2.jpg

I remotely connected to my PC. And I'm not seeing "Stereo mix" under the Playback tab?  See screenshots.

Also, curious if there's an option to connect an optical cable into the RME ADI-2 DAC and get sound from my PC?

Here's my PC made by the folks at Sweetwater. It's a powerhouse! Just need to be able to play from the internet through my RME ADI-2 DAC.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS250v6--sweetwater-custom-computing-cs250-2u-professional-audio-and-video-production-workstation

Thanks!

Spence

PC_SoundsScreenshots3.jpg

9 minutes ago, lucretius said:

You have to show disabled devices (right click on a device, then check 'show disabled devices') and enable it, then select it as default.

Hmmm. "Show Disabled Devices" is checked on the two devices in playback. Nothing showing "Stereo Mix"??

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Hmmm ... that last answer was from a Microsoft tech -- I don't have a sound card supporting "Stereo Mix".

You could always download and install Virtual Audio Cable or VB-Audio's virtual cable.  Then you will see the Virtual Audio Cable under both Playback and Recording tab. You can select these as defaults.

Thanks. I will try that.

Hey guys. I thought I had my ADI-2 DAC w/HQPlayer and Roon working great on my Windows 10 machine. This includes converting everything to DSD using ASIO Madiface at 705600 Hz.

During my testing these output formats work fine: All 16 bit, all DSD and PCM 24/44, 24/88.2. 24/176.4.

But these formats won't play: PCM 24/96 and PCM 24/192.

Please help on why I can't get the 96 and 192 to play corrrectly.

Thanks,

Spence

37 minutes ago, sdmarquart said:

Hey guys. I thought I had my ADI-2 DAC w/HQPlayer and Roon working great on my Windows 10 machine. This includes converting everything to DSD using ASIO Madiface at 705600 Hz.

During my testing these output formats work fine: All 16 bit, all DSD and PCM 24/44, 24/88.2. 24/176.4.

But these formats won't play: PCM 24/96 and PCM 24/192.

Please help on why I can't get the 96 and 192 to play corrrectly.

Thanks,

Spence

Well, I got it working but something is still off a bit.

Here's my new HQP settings as I changed the bit rate limit to 48k x250. Now everything in Roon plays back at 768000 Hz.

HPPlayerSettings_ADI_ASIO_051919.thumb.jpg.439f5fe566c16eb0d20bdaf5c2550e51.jpg

Here's what the main HQ Player front looks like:

HPPlayerSettings_FrontUI_051819.thumb.jpg.799568e544cccb543f404cfbe386e939.jpg

Looks great with the Red knob sitting where it needs to be. But if I close down and re-open HQP I now get this:

HPPlayerSettings_BadUI_051819.thumb.jpg.e12818f1bc45af525b2a0a8d34bc87ad.jpg

This is bad since nothing works and why is the knob sitting at that level? I have to go back in to the settings and change the bit rate limit to 48k x 256 and then change it to 48k x250 and it holds the setting. But this is rather annoying since I need to shut down HQP on occasion and why does it change?

Hey, at least everything is playing but I appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Spence

41 minutes ago, Allan F said:

The volume control should not be red. That indicates that you have volume for SDM set too high, which will result in clipping. Miska recommends that you set it to -3 or lower. From p. 3 of the HQPlayer Desktop User Manual:

Note! Overloading the delta-sigma modulator in SDM mode will cause audible noises. It is recommended to keep software volume at max -3 dB setting or lower when using PCM to SDM conversion to avoid overloading the delta-sigma modulator. Maximum modulation depth is monitored and when necessary limited to 50% as per SACD specification.

However, I doubt that is the reason that 24/96 and 24/192 won't play. Have you tried setting bit rate to 48x256 and leaving adaptive output rate unchecked?

Wait, red is bad?? I just thought it would effect really high volume if you go to 0. But otherwise, no clipping at a decent volume. What am I missing? Everything sounds great at that setting. Please elaborate??

4 minutes ago, sdmarquart said:

Wait, red is bad?? I had no idea. Everything sounds great at that setting. Please elaborate??

K. Now it works at the -3db setting. Crazy but earlier 48K x256 wouldn't work for 24/96 or 24/192 but now it's working at this setting. So, I'm all good!!!

Thanks,

Spence

HPPlayerSettings_FrontUI_Fixed.thumb.jpg.59a8e35d9fac373ba3631fd6f31848fc.jpg

HPPlayerSettings_FrontUI_Fixed.jpg

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

The volume control should not be red. That indicates that you have volume for SDM set too high, which will result in clipping. Miska recommends that you set it to -3 or lower. From p. 3 of the HQPlayer Desktop User Manual:

Note! Overloading the delta-sigma modulator in SDM mode will cause audible noises. It is recommended to keep software volume at max -3 dB setting or lower when using PCM to SDM conversion to avoid overloading the delta-sigma modulator. Maximum modulation depth is monitored and when necessary limited to 50% as per SACD specification.

However, that does not explain why 24/96 and 24/192 won't play. Have you tried setting bit rate to 48x256 and leaving adaptive output rate unchecked?

Regarding the volume level, there are many variables. Example, my Focal solo6 be’s have the option to adjust the gain +6dB. Since I lowered my overall volume I wonder if I should enable that? I was just rocking out to Van Halen’s, “Fair Warning” and I had the volume cranked to -1db. No distortion since it was mastered properly. Just saying that having my volume setting an extra -3db shouldn’t break the bank. But strangely, adjusting the volume to -3db fixed my problem. 

Weird?

thanks,

Spence