IGNORED

HQ Player

I’m having a problem similar to what others where having a few pages back.  I’m able to upsample to 512 from my Sonic Transporter i7 (Roon, HQ Plaeyer embedded on same device) > ultarendu > Holo Spring Dac but only x44.1 stuff and not x48 stuff.  i tried different  filters and modulator but no help.  I have Auto Rate Family checked,  and Bit Rate set to auto.

is this not going to work or have others gotten to work with this Dac?

Another question.

im trying to try out the more intensive filters.  Honestly I really like Poly-sinc-lp but I’m new to HQPlayer and exploring.  I was hoping to try DSD 512 poly-sinc-xtr non 2s.  The i7 I have is the 6 core Coffee Lake.  Is this capable of it?   When I tried I get sound but it’s a strong consistent stutter.  Is there something I can tweak or is it just not powerful enough?  No go on the 16M filter either.

thanks

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

At least mine allows it, but plays such DSD rates incorrectly using 44.1k clock. So both 44.1k and 48k base rate content needs to be converted to for example 44.1k x512 output rate. This is heavier for 48k content than for 44.1k content. Luckily much lighter though than vice versa (44.1k content to 48k x512). So it is possible to run, but still needs quite hefty machine.

How did you go about trying to convert 48k base to 44.1 x 512 in HQPlayer?

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, ericuco said:

I will have a go at explaining.

Oversampling 1x setting is used for 44.1 and 48 formats. Oversampling Nx setting is used for the higher resolutions of 44.1 (e.g. 88.2, 176.4) and 48 (e.g. 96, 192).

As for the 48k content, some DAC's like my Holo Cyan (DSD version) does NOT support 48 content. So, HQP will convert the 48k content into an appropriate 44.1k content before converting to DSD. Otherwise, HQP converts 44.1k content to the equivalent DSD (e.g. 2.8224 MHz) and the same for 48k (e.g. 3.072 MHz) content.

If your DAC does NOT support 48k content, you have to uncheck the one box (middle of the settings box) that talks about 48k DAC's.

If your DAC does support 48k content, check the box.

My DAC (Holo) does not support and before there was the 48khz check box option I configured the upscale max bitrate as suggested on this site.  If I want to upsample to 5.2 MHz what should the 2 boxes the bit rate and rate limit boxes be set to?

thanks

6 hours ago, ericuco said:

If you are trying to use DSD128 for everything, I believe you need to

Uncheck the 48k DSD box (middle of setting panel)

Set Default Output Mode to SDM (DSD) (middle of setting panel)

Check the adaptive family box (bottom of setting panel) ... gray box also works instead of check

Set max rate under SDM section to 44.1 x 128

I am trying to use DSD 512 for everything.  So I’ll set rate to 44.1 x 512.  This is what I have been doing for a long while but I didn’t know how the 48k dsd check box changed that.

it sounds like I should just keep doing it the way I have been and not worry about the check box.

thanks for you help.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Miska said:

For example T+A DAC8 DSD, Holo Spring 2 and RME ADI-2 as an example. Yes, most devices with 44.1/48 support for PCM (and possibly also DSD) have separate clocks for the two families. Mostly ESS Sabre based and Chord rely on a single clock, with some exceptions for ESS Sabre based devices (some Mytek and Pro-Ject models).

Thanks for the info.  I love my Holo Spring 1 but might upgrade one day soon.  I am annoyed by not being able to run options in HQP when I’m in the 48k rate family.  Plenty of things work great in 44.1 but stutter in 48.  I can upgrade cpu or DAC and it’s probably cheaper to get a new computer but I doubt it’s more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the preferred OS for HQPlayer with a GUI?  Is there any estimate of the percentage benefit you get on Embedded vs say Ubuntu Studio?  Does Linux have good support for Nvidia cards?  My Linux desktop machine is just using the embedded graphics so I’ve never tested.

For now I’m just researching A build that would primarily be for HQ player but run a few more app that I could also use the power of a nice processor for.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Miska said:

Ubuntu Studio 18.04 is nice and lean since it uses XFCE desktop environment. Normal Ubuntu Desktop is also fine. And yes, there is good support for Nvidia cards since Nvidia fully supports Linux. In fact the base driver they have for Windows and Linux is the same, with only different OS adaptation wrapper around.

Ubuntu ships one set of Nvidia's drivers (it's an additional option you need to install separately), but there are two other ways to get different versions of drivers in.

It sounds like you recommend it as much or more as any OS then.  That’s good, I was prefer not to have windows.  (I Like MacOS but want to build something).

Have you done any real comparisons between Embedded vs an Ubuntu install?  

2 hours ago, perpetualapprentice said:

Acknowledging that everyone's needs are different, I'd add a friendly reminder that HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA. If you can live without that, it's a fabulous solution.

Well that is a deal breaker for me tbh.  I want to have a GPU.  Thanks All

• 1 month later...

I have a new build.  Ubuntu Desktop.  i9-9090K, Nvidia 2080Ti.  

I have a HQPlayer demo running and can't get Cuda Offload working.  I have Cuda and Multicore with Checks and it keeps give me the offload disabled for resampling.  

So I've been double checking my install off the driver and it appears all good.  Newest driver, nvidia-driver-435.

I DO NOT have Cuda Toolkit installed because I didn't think it was necessary.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Mike

5 hours ago, Miska said:

The driver is just too old, you need 440 at minimum, which is also the latest at the moment (440.64).

Please see here:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

It is not necessary, you only need latest driver.

You should have multicore set to "Auto" (grayed box) and CUDA set to "All" (checked).

Thanks, I’m going to do a reinstall of the up-to-date driver then.  Do you use the PPA repository for nvidia drivers?  It’s new to me, I’ve never used Ubuntu with anything besides the basic video from the Mobo.

12 hours ago, mfalcon said:

Thanks, I’m going to do a reinstall of the up-to-date driver then.  Do you use the PPA repository for nvidia drivers?  It’s new to me, I’ve never used Ubuntu with anything besides the basic video from the Mobo.

Got it all working.  I was having a general problem with the GPU which was not running right because nvidia driver was not signed.  Annoying but nothing to do with HQ player which started working right as soon as I disabled Secure Boot.

• 2 months later...

My electromagnetic fields class was one of the hardest I took.  Configuring this software is a comparative breeze.  Just have to keep at it.  Your set up is similar to what I use to do but I simplified out of laziness at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Sinc-L tonight.  It’s different than XTR-LP which I’ve been using often.  I compared using a Mary Halvorson quartet track.  I found with Sinc-L the cymbals sounded better and more natural but TBH I don’t think they sound bad on XTR-LP.  Just Better with Sinc L.  Also I feel like the image was cleaner.  I am going to keep listening but it was a small but worthwhile improvement for me.  I am using an RTX 2080Ti and it handled it without stuttering but it does use a lot of memory.  Like 8gb according to NVTOP.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:05 AM, mfalcon said:

I tried Sinc-L tonight.  It’s different than XTR-LP which I’ve been using often.  I compared using a Mary Halvorson quartet track.  I found with Sinc-L the cymbals sounded better and more natural but TBH I don’t think they sound bad on XTR-LP.  Just Better with Sinc L.  Also I feel like the image was cleaner.  I am going to keep listening but it was a small but worthwhile improvement for me.  I am using an RTX 2080Ti and it handled it without stuttering but it does use a lot of memory.  Like 8gb according to NVTOP.

I do want to say this.  Sinc-L is not very forgiving on the top end with mediocre recordings.  I think it exposes flaws more than any of the other filters I regularly use, which can be good or bad Depending on the quality of the music you like.

i listened to 2 different masterings of Zappa’s Hot Rats.  The 80s mastering I grew up is unlistenable with Sinc-L.  The newer mastering is good but sounds better with XTR.  The opposite is true of a Mary Halvorson album I listened to earlier which shined with Sinc-L.  
Sinc-L is for the fancy listening and XTR is for the everyday I think.

keep up the good work Jussi.

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

The remastered old albums may not really sound very good with Sink-L, agree. But in quality new recordings of serious music Sink-L shines, imo.

This is a more succinct version of what I was trying to convey.  I’m known for being long winded. ;) 

The next step is for Jussi to create an AI that learns what music would be best with what music ;)

But seriously with the right music Sinc-L is masterful.

i have a Spring 1 so 48k rate family has to be converted.  Not a problem with my machine and XTR but 24/96 took 2 minutes to load.  My long run solution is to get a May but I’m trying to avoid big expenses in uncertain times.

9 hours ago, luisma said:

If it is something "easy" to implement I believe most users will welcome that, either some sort of indicator (which I don't know how will that work with Roon+HQP) or maybe a "third filter option" allowing only to select apodizing filters to be used in case of?

I mean after your comments it is just safe (for me at least) to keep using ext2 as I am doing currently, but choices are always good I think

I would use it.

22 hours ago, pdg540 said:

Hi Jussi (or anyone else that may know)

Regarding your comments on the sinc-L filter, are you able to say whether it would be possible to use the 7EC modulator, dsd256 output using i9-9900k with all cores clocked to 5ghz and 16gb ram? If not, would adding a GTX1080Ti with 11gb vid ram make it work?

Thanks!

With the GTX2080TI it definitely works if you are not converting 48->44.1.  Even then it will work but with a longer initialization.  I’m assuming the OS isn’t too taking.  I use Ubuntu LTS.

i think it might work with 1080 but not sure.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Yes the 9900KS can run DSD256 ASDM7EC/poly-sind-xtr. The Ryzen 3600X in my desktop cannot only manage the non EC.

If you are going to buy a new GPU go for the 2080/2080ti or wait and see how the next gen performs.

But if you already have a 1080Ti with 11GB like me I see no reason for upgrading. I am only interested in 2 channel.

I don’t have the KS, just the K overclocked but I would probably agree that the 2080Ti is overkill for 2 channel without room correction.  I use maybe 30 of the GPU bit 8GB of mem with Sinc-L and the 256 EC filter.  If I already had a 1080TI I wouldn’t upgrade.  Unless you want room correction or multi channel.  I would like to use room correction but keep putting it off.  I have a near field set up that I worked on for a long time years ago and like the sound I get but i know it would definitely improve the low end.  I also want to play with routing an analog setup through an ADC to HQplayer using room correction for my records.  Just don’t have the time currently.  But when I do I think the benefits of the 2080 will be seen more.

37 minutes ago, pdg540 said:

I only use 2 channel, no convolution and actually don't have an nvidea card in my computer right now; just using 9900k alone for HQP which gets me to 7EC/xtr. Was thinking of picking up a graphic card that will get me to 7EC/sincL but there's no chance I'm dropping 2080Ti type cash :) 

I bet someone will try it with the 1080Ti and you can by it with some assurance that it will work.  Good luck, I’m definitely enjoying it with good material.  It’s a fun adventure to figure what it will sound good with as I do t know what recording used which process so I just guess.  XTR was my go to filter for all purpose listening and I still love it.

• 2 months later...