IGNORED

HQ Player

In Roon, you need to indicate the IP of HQP machine. I am using a sonic transporter to run Roon and a MacBook to run HQP. When adding a network device in Roon I include in local host the IP of Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

You have selected in Roon HQP?

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

And also. Up in the screen of HQP there is a box "allow control from network" that need to be checked.

• 1 year later...

Ater a couple of weeks thinking if I would buy a second license (my first one was for my old Mac not capable of doing more than 128DSD) and having decided that I would not upgrade my sonic transporter i5 to an i7, due to the fact that my Qutest is not able to do more than 256 DSD DoP in Linux), I decided to buy a new HQP license. At least I would benefit from 256DSD DoP, but more importantly the convenience of having just one machine to do everything. Being convinced that I would feel a smoth transition, to.my surprise I have been having problems. Upsampling to DSD or to PCM is a source of frustration. After a couple of tracks I start to hear white noise. The only way to revert the situation is to reboot the system (ST i5 and ultrarendu). But than after another series of tracks it starts again. The most curious thing is that they seem to come from the right speaker. This is not due to a speaker problem as I do not have any problems using just Roon upsampling. Searching through the web I found at least one person with the same problem but on his left loudspeaker. As I do not believe in Gremlins, does someone have a clue on how to solve the white noise problem? Miska? Thank you guys.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Moi Miska,

My primary interest is for the SDM (DSD) settings, and even for the PCM settings, it would be helpful to have a chart, like you have, but with less technical explanations - and instead explanations that explain the sound.  When I read the explanations in the manual, I usually am more confused than I was before ;)

For instance, if you read a review in Stereophile or TAS, they use an extensive sonic vocabulary that is relatively non-technical.  It would be helpful to read an entire list of all the HQP options written in that vein.  Yes, I can adjust the settings and listen for myself, but I like having guidance of what to listen for.....

I am in...?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, acousticmood said:

To be clear - I get white noise when I play Roon with  HQ. I get the distortion when not using HQ and playing Roon to the ultra Rendu, with sample rate conversion enabled. When sample rate conversion is disabled the music plays fine.

None of this surfaced until i upgraded the OPPO dac.

Hi, just curious as I have a similar problem using Ron, HQplayer, STi5, uR and a Qutest. The white noise comes just from one channel? At every time?

7 hours ago, acousticmood said:

Both channels evert time

Thanks. No sure if this helps but try not to change the tracks when they are playing. In my system it works. Also when it starts, go immediatly to uR and within tge apps menu, choose another option and then revert to HQplayer. It always start without whyte noise. Cheers

• 2 months later...

Where to start? I am so tired... For the last perhaps 2 months I've been using my STi5 + uR feeding my Qutest with HQPe. As some of you might have read in these thread or others I used to have a white noise coming randomly from just one channel when upsampling to DSD 256 and PCM768. Recently I discovered how to get rid of it just by checking the auto rate family box. And as it was suggest by me and others it was not related to the FMCs I use

... Today and because I have decided to send my OPPO 205 to Korea for an hardware upgrade I did the USB Dac upgrade to the last version (0118) in order to benefit from the full decoding and rendering MQA. How I was happy. After listening for the first time to some very good MQA files, I decided to revert to Roon upsampling DSD. White noise from the 2 channels. What??? Yes it was true. After a couple of experiences I discovered that only DSD DoP was now accepted. Before, DSD native was running ok even if it was not feasable at 512 with my ST5. I tried 64, 128 and 256. No luck, white noise always without checking DoP. I turned to HQPe. Imediately the white noise started. So I checked the DoP. And I tried a couple of more tracks. Some were working others not. It turned out that every MQA track when upsampling to DSD was not working at all. No sound at all. What was really strange is that I could see that in Roon was showing  DSD output but in my TV was just showing LPCM 768. Every non-MQA track was working fine if DoP was checked. Turning again to Roon DSP and upsampling. When playing MQA tracks with DSD256 enabled and DoP I just had the normal MQA rendering and decoding without any upsampling to DSD... On the contrary, the non-MQA files were upsampled to DSD256. I am posting here because over the last 2 months there was also a couple of upgrades not just the one from HQPe from last week but also some related to the OS from STi5 and uR if I am not mistaken. So because I just switchon today my Oppo 205 for the USB Dac firmware upgrade I can't know for sure if it is related to this upgrade or the STi5 or uR upgrades. Any help would be much appreciated. I am going to post my commentson other related fora. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

That's a Chord-effect, my Mojo gives me white noise after couple of minutes listening, even when playing from iPhone 7 through Camera Connection Kit straight to the Mojo. Or on Windows PC playing Spotify straight to the Mojo. I've never been able to play anything through the Mojo without sooner or later getting just white noise.

Auto rate family doesn't fix this, but may work around around it. But such work around may stop working at any point in time, so it depends mostly on luck.

This is a different problem, likely caused by change in the USB firmware which in turn broke the driver. As I've said before, this is likely fixable by modifying the OS driver, but only device vendor can provide you a new Linux kernel. But the "full MQA decoding and rendering" in itself is kind of unnecessary thing. Roon can fully decode MQA, the only extra you gain from Oppo is upsampling with MQA's filters (something they call "rendering").

Thank you Jussi. I saw your answer in the other thread. My apologies for multiple posts. Let's see if they could do that.

Shall I contact them directly or do you think they noticed your request?

As you might have seen in my post, regarding MQA if I have multiple play lists (MQA and non-MQA) I need to change the configurations in order to get the sound right. This is not feasable as I need interrupting the music.

Also DSD DoP does not allow DSD512...

16 hours ago, Miska said:

It may be better if you contact them directly.

I'm not sure what exactly is the problem with MQA? If you play MQA decoded by Roon, it looks the same as regular 88.2/96 kHz hires from HQPlayer point of view. But overall, it is best to avoid MQA if possible.

That depends entirely on DAC. HQPlayer does support sending DSD512 using DoP, but DAC would need to support 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM input for that.

Thank you Jussi. I will contact them directly.

I do not have the computing power to do  it nor the Oppo 205 can support it. I am not aware of many dacs that also acept that kind of resolution....The issue here is that Oppo 205 accepted  natively DSD up to 512. And now just DoP up to DSD 256.

3 minutes ago, soares said:

Thank you Jussi. I will contact them directly.

I do not have the computing power to do  it nor the Oppo 205 can support it. I am not aware of many dacs that also acept that kind of resolution....The issue here is that Oppo 205 accepted  natively DSD up to 512. And now just DoP up to DSD 256.

Sorry I forgot to reiterate the problem with MQA files. I am quoting my post:

With HQPe:

" I turned to HQPe. Imediately the white noise started. So I checked the DoP. And I tried a couple of more tracks. Some were working others not. It turned out that every MQA track when upsampling to DSD was not working at all. No sound at all. What was really strange is that I could see that in Roon was showing  DSD output but in my TV was just showing LPCM 768. Every non-MQA track was working fine if DoP was checked. "

Previously I never had problems with this.

With Roon upsampling:

"Turning again to Roon DSP and upsampling. When playingMQA tracks with DSD256 enabled and DoP I just had the normal MQA rendering and decoding without any upsampling to DSD... On the contrary, the non-MQA files were upsampled to DSD256."

So despite the fact that the DSP option is on and the Roon upsampling to DSD256 is checked, there's no upsampling with MQA files. It's really very strange. 

I hope I was sufficiently clear. My apologies for my English.

23 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi soares

Actually this observation here is normal. You can't have MQA rendering/decoding working together with Roon DSD-sampling.

If you change your device settings to 'No MQA support' in Roon, then you can have the 1st unfold up-sampled by either Roon or HQPlayer.

Can you give that a try and report back?

Tks Em2016. I will try this We and report back.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

This is the firmware + driver problem... Not related to HQPlayer.

Your DAC doesn't seem to support 48k-base DSD rates. It is not related to MQA, but to source sampling rate. Same thing happens with non-MQA 96k files and such. You can tell HQPlayer to use max 44.1k x256 output rate and turn off "auto rate family".

I cannot comment about Roon upsampling, I have never tried it. I just always make sure Roon's DSP engine is disabled.

Thank you Jussi. I will try and report back.

Yes, lots of people. Please see my posts earlier.

Jussi suggested the contacts of Andrew and Jesus...

There's a couple of posr on the Roon Community also.

Good question. I do not know. It's so unfortunate... I was about to send my Oppo to korea for a complete mode... Now I don't know anymore.

Please see the link where it seems that there is an explanation. 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/udp-205-doesn-t-accept-dsd-native-from-rock/46892

Can you translate for dummies? Myself:-)

On 9/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, Em2016 said:

Hi soares

Actually this observation here is normal. You can't have MQA rendering/decoding working together with Roon DSD-sampling.

If you change your device settings to 'No MQA support' in Roon, then you can have the 1st unfold up-sampled by either Roon or HQPlayer.

Can you give that a try and report back?

Yes I tried but now I don't have MQAStudio. Additionally there's static mixed with the music. At least this static has been recognised by Oppo or Roon ( I don't remember any more) and we might see a solution. But this is just one part of the whole problem.

Yes... As you might recall I spent months trying to get rid of the white noise of my Qutest when upsampling. I had already gave up and suddenly with the auto rate option enable I thinks It's manageable. Jussi says not to count too much on it ?... Now the Oppo when I had decided to have it modded and see if it was superior to the Qutest with the view of keeping just one Dac. But what make me still more frustrated is the I do not know who is responsible for coming back with a solution...

On 9/6/2018 at 2:52 AM, Miska said:

This is the firmware + driver problem... Not related to HQPlayer.

Your DAC doesn't seem to support 48k-base DSD rates. It is not related to MQA, but to source sampling rate. Same thing happens with non-MQA 96k files and such. You can tell HQPlayer to use max 44.1k x256 output rate and turn off "auto rate family".

I cannot comment about Roon upsampling, I have never tried it. I just always make sure Roon's DSP engine is disabled.

I tried Jussi. It just doesn't work. So I don't think it is related to the support of 48k-base DSD rates. And before I never had a single problem with the OPPO.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/udp-205-doesn-t-accept-dsd-native-from-rock/46892

Could you please explain the meaning of what is stated in this link? Does it help to explain what is all about? Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

As usual, he is right. I have seen these issues  pop up randomly before when I had Mojo and Hugo2 at PCM705/768kHz.

I know you've asked the forums, but have you reported it directly to both Oppo and Roon Tech Support? They might reply to you that they are aware and a fix is being worked on.

I already reported to OPPO Europe as I do not see the the link to OPPO America. So far I haven't received any replies. Do you know how to report to OPPO America? I will report to Roon. Thank you.

By the way Em2016, what DAC are you using? Thank you again for all your support.

Jussi, I already sent a message to Andrew. Unfortunately Jesus don't accept message through his CA contact. Would you be kind enough to contact him directly? Thank you.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:44 PM, Em2016 said:

JR's email address is here:

https://www.sonore.us/contact.html

This is (or was) Oppo USA's support email, you can try it:

[email protected] 

Now I'm using the iFi Pro iDSD - HQP with native DSD512.

With NAA (Jussi's NAA image) and ALSA mode (direct USB connected to HQP Embedded) I can play Native DSD512.

With the Rendu's there is static with native DSD mode. JR and Andrew are aware of this and the cause and they are aware of Jussi's kernel updates which fixes this, so they'll test and roll out the update in due course. Jussi's images obviously already incorporate his kernel updates.

I completely understand why Sonore want to test out Jussi's linux kernel updates properly before they roll out the updates, because they have a lot of Rendu's in the field. This might or might not be related to your issues but if it is, just give them some time.

Thank you again Em2016. I already contacted everyone. Let's wait. ?

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, acousticmood said:

A333BFF9-7961-4A97-8320-F819DE9C3603.thumb.png.5332b4018e943a4ef19091cd08195581.png04F85957-C9EB-4204-B145-E502E36206F4.thumb.png.6c33daaae01a037c13efb0938acf2bd1.pngI can’t get consistent dsd playback from HQplayer and Roon through ultra Rendu into oppo205.  I had it working this morning but then I played a dvd and when I come back to it no go. The scrolling bar shows that it is playing as does the HQplayer zone. Nothing comes out though. If I switch in HQplayer to pcm then it plays but no sound with dsd.

What firmware are you using?

2 hours ago, acousticmood said:

Oppo is vers 118

You need to get back to 112. OPPO is currently working on a 119 version that hopefully will solve most of the problems affecting ver. 118.  You will of course loose full MQA decoding.