IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I could not find anything on this topic using search. I am using HQPlayer trial with my Devialet 120 (which is compatible with DSD64 over DoP). I notice that when output is set to SDM(DSD), using any of the filters/modulators, the volume is lower by a few dB as compared to PCM output. I have found this to be the case when running HQPlayer on a WS2012 PC connected to my DAC, and also when using NAA on the WS2012 PC and running HQPlayer on another Windows 10 PC on my network. Is this normal behavior? I note that the volume dial appears to be inactive when in DSD output mode.

This is my first experience with DSD upsampling and I have no experience with DSD files, so I apologize if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer from my searches. I am trying to use Acourate filters with HQPlayer's convolution engine. Is the best approach to generate a 192khz filter, split the .wav into two Mono tracks (one for each of the left and right channels), and add the .wav files as the Left and Right IR files in the convolution screen? If I am playing only PCM and upsampling to PCM 192, will I need to select "Expand HF"? What if I upsample to SDM?

Also, when convolution is enabled, is it normal to have a 5-6 second delay when beginning playback (or switching tracks or moving to a different section of a track)? Note that there is no delay when the track changes at the end of track. During this 5-6 second period, the CPU load is at around 50%, and then drops back down to 6-7% during playback. I'm using Roon with HQPlayer, and my system is a NUC i5 with Windows 10. Will a faster computer alleviate or possible eliminate this delay?

Yes, it is best to produce filters with highest rate possible using the filter design tool. Acourate can do the equivalent of "Expand HF" when it is generating the filters, so you can create filters at high rate there and leave the "Expand HF" disabled at HQPlayer side. When possible it is better to get best possible filters generated in one go, instead of HQPlayer having to modify the filters later on.

Convolution is available also when you upsample to SDM, if source is PCM then the convolution filters are processed at source PCM rate before upsampling. If source is DSD and output is SDM, then convolution filters are processed at native source rate. If source is DSD and output is PCM, then convolution filters are processed at the intermediate 1/16th PCM rate. Convolution filters are adapted to the processing rate as necessary.

Yes, it is normal to have initial start delay with all or most cores fully loaded - this is the initialization phase for the processing. The delay also happens when source sampling rate changes during playback.

Thank you. I have noticed that using a 176khz filter alleviates the long initial start delay when loading 44.1khz files. However, when I use the 176.4khz filter, 96khz files and 192khz files eventually get distorted. I have tried having "Enable HF" both selected and not selected, and tried both convolution engine settings.

When I try using a 44.1khz filter with 192khz material, I get the same distorted sound. With the 176.4khz filter, the sound starts out fine, but will eventually distort from 20 seconds to several minutes into playback. 44.1/88.2/176.4 material is fine with the 176.4 filter. So far I haven't encountered any distortion with the 192khz filter with any files, but would like to avoid the initial start delay.

Perhaps a workaround would be to allow different filters for 44.1/88.2/176.4 material and 48/96/192 material?

My settings are PCM, poly-sinc, NS9 and Auto (max 192khz) but I have tried various PCM settings.

HQPlayer is not limited to any particular source sampling rates (file with 12345 Hz sampling rate would be just fine), so there would need to be huge number of alternative filters. So my recommendation is to use 192k filter and leave HF expansion off.

If you are using Windows, check Resource Monitor and on Mac check Activity Monitor to see how your per-core CPU load looks like.

How is your volume setting in HQPlayer and does the "Limited" count ever change from 0?

Jussi,

Thanks, my volume min and volume max are both set to 0.0dB. I have confirmed that the "Limited" count does not change from zero when the sound changes.

I have just had the same issue happen, playing 44.1khz file with a 192khz filter, that was triggered by a remote login to the machine during playback. The resource monitor does not seem to show anything noteworthy when it happens. I will send a .log file to you via email after a few more trials.

ted_b: The sound is not just digital clipping. The sound suddenly turns into a scrambled mess until I stop playback. It's not momentary.

Edit: Just to provide some details: I am using HQPlayer with Roon, on Windows 10 on an i5 NUC. My DAC is a Devialet 120, using the WASAPI driver over USB.

For WASAPI it is good idea to change the "Buffer time" setting in HQPlayer to for example 100 ms. Practically all drivers default to 10 ms which is quite demanding when other stuff like Roon or remote desktop is running.

Jussi,

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that setting the buffer time to 250ms cured all of my issues! Thanks again. I'm so impressed with the level of support, I will be purchasing a license for sure.