IGNORED

HQ Player

After following this thread for a while I am going to start taking some initial steps to try out HQPlayer. Right now my system is a 2 PC setup running Minimserver + Jplay. My control PC is just an ATOM based processor so I know its no where near powerful enough to truly maximize the benefits of HQPlayer. I am in the process of building a more powerful PC. In the meantime, I would like start testing actually getting HQPlayer working. I am less interested in sound quality right now and more interested in just getting the setup working so when my new, more powerful PC is built I can get it working right away. So my first question is:

Can I use an ATOM 525 based computer to just run HQPlayer without any processing or minimal processing?

Assuming I can use this ATOM PC, here is configuration I am planning to use. Please let me know if you see any issues.

HQPlayer embedded running on PC#1 and used as a renderer

Minimserver acting as Media Server

BubbleUPnP as control point

Jplay is ASIO output from HQPlayer

My network configuration will remain as it is now:

NAS >> Wireless router ---- Wireless bridge >> PC#1 >> PC#2

>> = wired connection, CAT 6 cable

---- = wifi connection, WIFI AC

As you can see, I do not intend to use an NAA on PC#2 as I would like to keep using my 2 PC Jplay set up.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I'm pretty sure HQPlayer embedded is only for Linux.

Is that what you intended?

I use HQPlayer (desktop, not embedded) in a 2-PC JPLAY setup with Windows on both machines.

Sorry about that. I read somewhere that if I want to use HQPlayer as a renderer I need the embedded version? It looks like from your experience I can just use desktop version of HQPlayer. So am I correct in that to use Jplay I need to set the output of HQPlayer to Jplay ASIO?

Any thoughts on running HQPlayer on ATOM based PC?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the reply. Yeah my poor old outdated Luxman CDP/DAC. I am planning to upgrade that so that I can get rid of the USB converter. I also want to try DSD conversion which is why I am also upgrading my control PC soon. Based on your comments I will give HQPlayer a try on my ATOM.

Last question, I assume you think HQPlayer outputting to Jplay is better than Jplay by itself? What was your configuration prior to using HQPlayer? I am hoping to pretty much keep my configuration the same using Minimserver and BubbleUpnP. Looks like the only change will be to specify HQPlayer as renderer in Bubble.

Yeah, you can just use the desktop version of HQPlayer.

You can even use Roon as a "front end" if you want.

Before Roon added HQPlayer compatibility, I controlled HQPlayer by RDPing into my control pc and dragging and dropping music into the HQPlayer window.

Yep. In HQPlayer set Backend to ASIO and device to JPLAY Driver. This assumes the right drivers are available for your DAC.

What DAC will you be using? The Luxman in your sig via a USB converter?

I'm looking at the 6moons review of the Luxman and it says: "The unit is compatible with S/PDIF data from 32kHz to 96kHz and supports 44.1, 48 and 88.2kHz in-between."

If that's the case, your control pc (running HQPlayer) doesn't need a ton of horsepower (since you won't be doing any PCM to DSD conversions, for instance). Upsampling redbook to 88.2 or 48 material to 96 isn't very CPU intensive (even with some of the better filters). So I'd definitely give it a shot with the Atom-based PC and see what happens.

Other components:

I could easily be wrong, and I'll let someone else confirm, but I have a feeling you can't do the MinimServer/BubbleUPnP thing (and just choose HQPlayer as a renderer) unless you go the HQPlayer Embedded (running on Linux) route.

Can anyone confirm that in order to use HQPlayer as a renderer I need the embedded version running on Linux? @Miska??

I would like to use BubbleUPnP as a control point, Minimserver as the media server, and HQPlayer as the renderer.

Other components:

To use BubbleUPnP to control HQPlayer you will need Linux Embedded version, which is what I am currently playing around with.

Thank you. Now this is getting complicated because I still want to use JPLAY in a 2 PC configuration and BubbleUPnP as a control point. JPLAY is not available in a Linux version. I know I could use HQPlayer Windows version but I prefer not to use remote desktop to control playback.

Other components:

Yup, I was looking at Roon, seems like an awesome front end to use in conjunction with HQP. The cost though...ouch! I dont really need anything fancy. Just something to show my library in a visually pleasing manner and make it easy to browse and select what albums/tracks to play. I guess my other option is use remote desktop from my tablet but the responsiveness and overall user experience is not very good. I really want to try out HQP but I need to have the ability to control playback and access my library from my android phone/tablet.

Just tried to do the Roon trial but its asking for a credit card? I thought I read that a cc was not needed now?

I know it's not what you wanted, but you could try Roon on a computer or tablet (iOS or Android) to control HQPlayer playback (with 2-PC JPLAY).

It's pretty great. I like it MUCH better than BubbleDS Next (which I use once in a while with MinimServer and JPLAYStreamer).

14 day trial of Roon...

Other components:

HQPlayer integrates well with Muso too btw.

http://klarita.net/muso.html

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at Muso too this morning but it does not have an android app so I wont be able to control it. To my way of thinking, there is no point in having a great library and playback software if I cannot not easily browse and play my music. For me this means a nice app I can run on my Android phone/tablet. I really do not want to have a PC + monitor + keyboard in my music room.

Other components:

I assume the CAPS Pipeline with the Xeon 3.5ghz quad core will be able to handle HQP and Roon with ease?

Other components:

In my Jplay 2 pc setup the control PC has 2 network ports. The first port is used to connect to my router so it can access the NAS where all my music is stored. The second port is used to directly connect the control PC and audio PC. The audio PC does not connect to my network or internet at all.

If I was to use the NAA, would this setup be correct?

On a related note, I would be interested to hear if outputting from HQP to Jplay ASIO sounds better/different than directly to the DAC via the NAA.

Other components:

• 3 months later...

Back to USB, have been staying away from it for audio...otherwise I'd need another half dozen little gizmos like the Regen, Recovery, Intona, Mutec, iFi...then there are the power supplies for all these gizmos...then I'd have to get Curious about USB cables to hook up the gizmos...

Just to clarify a bit...the Mutec is not purely a USB enhancer. It is first and foremost a reclocker that can reduce jitter. Yes it has a USB input but I use the AES and SPDIF inputs because as you said, I try to stay away from USB for audio.

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. I really want to try out HQP but the ability to easily browse my library and control playback from my phone or tablet is really important. I know I can use Roon but that price point, especially the recurring fee seems really high to me for what I need. All that extra data and info Roon offers is nice but I dont really need or want it. Ideally, I could use a control point software like BubbleUPnP or Linn Kazoo to browse and control playback.

I am right to say that HQP does not support UPnP? If not, I assume the NAA is not an network renderer as well?

Is there a reason why HQP does not support UPnP? I think if it did, a lot more people would be able to use their preferred control point and not have to worry about spending a lot of money for something like Roon just to be able to browse their library and control playback remotely.

Other components:

Desktop version doesn't. Embedded version can be used as a UPnP Renderer and works fine with Bubble UPnP Android App. I'm not aware of any proper UPnP Control Point for iOS.

Roon or HQPlayer certainly don't cost lot of money compared to most audiophile hardware prices.

Thank you for the reply. If I recall, I believe you said the embedded version is not supported and could be complicated to set up?

I think its hard to compare Roon to a hardware component esp when all someone (like me) wants to do is have a front end to browse my library and control playback. I dont need or want all the data and features Roon has. Therefore, my only option is to try HQP embedded which is not supported or pay $500 for a lifetime license to Roon for basic UPnP library browsing that I can get from something like Minimserver or JRiver for a minimal cost. My point is there needs to some sort of middle ground solution that would allow someone to enjoy the benefits of HQP without the added expense of Roon while being able to control playback and browse their library from a networked device like tablet.

Other components:

Why don't you use Muso that can interface with HQPlayer as library management and to control your music from tablet/phone?

Thank you for the input. I checked out Muso but didn't see whether it supports upnp so I could use BubbleUPnP as my control point. How would I use Muso to browse my library and control playback from my tablet or phone? It looks like Muso is a Windows application.

Other components:

As a control point on your tablet/smartphone you just type the IP address of your Muso system.

I see! That makes sense. I am definitely going to try that. Thank you again.

Other components:

Hi guys...sorry for the absolute noob question...I just loaded up HQPlayer on an ultra portable i3 laptop I have to try and compare to Minimserver running on another PC. What is a good baseline setting to try in HQP? I read through the manual and there are lots of settings which I will try but it would be helpful if I can get a good starting point. I would like to first try playing PCM then try converting everything to DSD64 or 128.

If it helps I listen mainly to folk, acoustic, and jazz vocalists.

Thank you in advance.

Other components:

You cannot really compare MinimServer to anything, because it's just a file server providing files over HTTP protocol. Or well, you can compare it to plain SMB/CIFS NAS shares... But doesn't really make any difference from audio point of view.

Well I got HQP working last night on my laptop. I just used whatever settings are default and compared HQP to my current playback chain of Minimserver >> Jplay. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that HQP sounded much more clear and dynamic. The music was very engaging. These results has now inspired me to try and get HQP embedded working. I tried using Muso and its web controller but I got very disappointing results. The web controller was very inconsistent. Sometimes I couldnt get it to play anything. Sometimes it would play the wrong track. Using Muso directly from the PC worked fine though but for me, I use a headless system so being able to access my library and control playback via my phone or tablet is essential. Anyway, if I get HQP embedded working I will definitely buy a license. Wish me luck...Linux noob here.

Other components:

I just came across this on the arch linux user repository:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hqplayer-embedded/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hqplayer/

@miska, does this mean if I install Arch Linux instead of Ubuntu that HQPlayer desktop and embedded is already included and all I need to do is enter the license information for both?

Other components:

I doubt it. That package is for audiolinux.

But audiolinux is built on arch linux. Sorry, kind of linux noob.

Other components:

I am the maintainer of the package and...audiolinux. Yes, you can install the package in archlinux, no problem. Audiolinux has some more extra: realtime kernel, irq priority, cpu configuration options for minimum processor latency already installed

Thank you. I just sent you an email.

Other components:

I doubt it. That package is for audiolinux.

I just sent you a PM...

Other components:

@miska, any chance I can get a temporary license to try HQP embedded? I want to make sure I can get the renderer working before I buy the license.

I have also a short set of instructions I use on my i5 NUC running headless with Debian Stretch and HQPlayer Embedded, check the last section titled "Running the renderer as headless background task" utilizing a package called TLM which I'm one of the maintainers...

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer Embedded

In my setup I just press power button on the NUC and it boots up in couple of seconds ready to play and pressing the power button shuts it down nicely in couple of seconds too.

Other components:

Hi guys. I am trying to install HQP on Ubuntu 16 but I get the following error:

pre-dependency problem - not installing HQP.

Any ideas?

Other components:

I got HQPlayer installed on Lubuntu. Now I am trying to add some music folders from my NAS into the Library. However, I cant browse to my NAS in the add screen. Any ideas?

Other components:

Hi guys. I am trying to install HQP on Ubuntu 16 but I get the following error:

pre-dependency problem - not installing HQP.

Any ideas?

Not sure what the issue was but I instead installed Lubuntu and HQP works fine. I think Lubuntu is better anyway since its more lightweight than Ubuntu LTS.

Now need to see if I can get HQP renderer working, though I think there is no way for me to try it without first buying a license???

Other components:

Jud, so you mean you are using xubuntu 16 build with HQPlayer currently?

I am not Jud but I am running HQP on Lubuntu 16 without issues. As I understand Lubuntu and Xubuntu are very similar.

Other components: