IGNORED

HQ Player

I'm currently attempting to populate the Library of the latest version of HQPlayer (3.9.0.1). It's an evaluation version.

This should be a simple problem to resolve but it's not, as every time I attempt to do so the end-results are different. It's frustrating.

For instance, I want to put Debussy Instrumental and Orchestral works under different subheadings under Debussy. HQPlayer won't do that, as it insists on putting each type of work under different Main Music type Headings minus the name of the composer. It's the same for all other composers.

Any relevant suggestions as to getting this sorted?

Assuming you are using FLAC, what do you have as ARTIST and PERFORMER tags in your files?

If you have ARTIST=Debussy and PERFORMER=Something then the "Something" is structured as sub-folder under "Debussy".

Depending on amount of content you have that you would like to change, you can also edit the HQPlayer metadata in the Library dialog without changing the original files. But this is not very convenient if there are lot of items requiring changes. I use this to correct some inconsistencies in the file metadata.

Currently Foobar2000 library is fully configured on my system:

fb2K.jpg

... as shown in this image. I used the UI and Popup plugins to implement it via tags. I use FLAC and DSD file types.

I want to configure HQPlayer library in a similar manner.

BTW, the previously mentioned Muso plugin, probably isn't out of alpha testing yet, as it doesn't recognise foobar2000 or HQPlayer on my system.

I'm currently attempting to populate the Library of the latest version of HQPlayer (3.9.0.1). It's an evaluation version.

This should be a simple problem to resolve but it's not, as every time I attempt to do so the end-results are different. It's frustrating.

For instance, I want to put Debussy Instrumental and Orchestral works under different subheadings under Debussy. HQPlayer won't do that, as it insists on putting each type of work under different Main Music type Headings minus the name of the composer. It's the same for all other composers.

Any relevant suggestions as to getting this sorted?

Currently Foobar2000 library is fully configured on my system:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21245[/ATTACH]

... as shown in this image. I used the UI and Popup plugins to implement it via tags. I use FLAC and DSD file types.

I want to configure HQPlayer library in a similar manner.

BTW, the previously mentioned Muso plugin, probably isn't out of alpha testing yet, as it doesn't recognise foobar2000 or HQPlayer on my system.

I don't quite understand what the picture is trying to show. I can just see flat list of playlists. If you have playlists you can also import those into HQPlayer library and those by default appear as a flat list, but you can also structure those by entering relevant data.

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words. Rather than get into a complicated discussion, I chose to simply send it.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't see any way to edit tags with HQPlayer. Neither can I see a way to import the foobar2000 playlist into it, as well. Playlist file formats are different, as .xml for HQPlayer and .fpl/.m3u/.m3U8 for foolbar2000.

Does anyone know the meaning of compatibility?

HQPlayer with Muso works pretty well. Have you tried to set it up under Tools/Options/Players?

Be sure to use latest build 01 of 2.3.22

Actually it probably will with one major exception; I can't get them to connect.

Using v2.3.22; database is configured and Muso now sees HDPlayer, but that's as far as it goes.

BTW, has anyone seen this:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/manage-hqplayer-playlist-foobar2000-24282/

Looks like some interesting possibilities, that.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question for Miska. When I use closed form upsampling in pcm 352.8 DXD I am only using 6% cpu. When I do DSD256 upsampling using closed form I am using 60% cpu? DXD is basically 4 times DSD64 so I can't see why there would be such a resource difference? To me it is basically two sides of the same coin. Please explain?

(I7 processor on Windows 10 computer)

Are you running 64 bit versions of Windows 10 and HQ Player?

If not you should be, as Intel Core I7 processor, 64 bit OS and applications will make a significant difference in performance over 32 bit OS and applications.

My 1000-base-T network is segmented into 5 802.1Q VLAN's for security and to isolate portions of the LAN that require it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN#IEEE_802.1Q

Think of VLAN as a subnetted LAN.

The main reasons I'm purchasing HQPlayer are:

• Multi-channel DSD functionality
  • Sound Quality
  • 64 bit Application

Unfortunately, my home cinema is on a separate VLAN from the laptop where HQPlayer is installed. Therefore my question is, will HQPlayer crossover to the home cinema VLAN?

If not, what would I need to do to make it do so for those specific VLAN's only?

My 1000-base-T network is segmented into 5 802.1Q VLAN's for security and to isolate portions of the LAN that require it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN#IEEE_802.1Q

Think of VLAN as a subnetted LAN.

The main reasons I'm purchasing HQPlayer are:

• Multi-channel DSD functionality
  • Sound Quality
  • 64 bit Application

Unfortunately, my home cinema is on a separate VLAN from the laptop where HQPlayer is installed. Therefore my question is, will HQPlayer crossover to the home cinema VLAN?

If not, what would I need to do to make it do so for those specific VLAN's only?

HQPlayer NAA operates at IP protocol level, so it doesn't know about VLANs.

If the VLAN is implemented with per-port using a smart switch, there's no way to cross the boundary. That is by design, so that for security reasons each VLAN is isolated. If you make port a group one / untagged you can check if you can configure more than one VLAN tag to the ethernet driver (depends on the hardware/driver). Some server adapters may allow you to do that.

Thanks for the information.

NAA might work, as HQPlayer could then search LAN via my layer 3 managed switch for the IP address it needs. LAN doesn't use layer 2 MAC addresses.

BTW, how do you install NAA?

I won't answer for him, but I'll give you my answer: B/c basically I think the UI of HQP sucks - inconvenient, difficult to use, limited in features. I understand that it was setup the way Jussi likes it, and he plays full albums. For that it is okay, but still quite substandard IMO. I fully understand it's Jussi's right to make his software the way he likes it, and he's not obligated to spend time on GUI issues that don't interest him.

But if you don't want to listen to full albums, it's a pretty terrible interface.

Roon has a great UI, so "integration" with Roon will give us the ability to use the great Roon UI, but still get all the SQ benefits of HQP.

I agree with this. Here's a quote from my post no. 3 in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/flac-question-26275/

"Why do you want to pay for JRiver Media Centre when Foobar2000 v1.3.8 is available gratis. I spent some time evaluating both and there isn't any difference in sound quality between them.

During that evaluation, I discovered the playlist data editor with UI columns and popup panels plugins installed in Foobar2000, is significantly more advanced than JRiver MC.

BTW, I'm now using Foobar2000 and HQPlayer. The former mostly for it's media track data editing functionality."

Also, here's two images that show Foobar2000's Metsdata and Properties editor:

Data_Editor1.jpg

Data_Editor2.jpg

I agree with this. Here's a quote from my post no. 3 in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/flac-question-26275/

"Why do you want to pay for JRiver Media Centre when Foobar2000 v1.3.8 is available gratis. I spent some time evaluating both and there isn't any difference in sound quality between them.

During that evaluation, I discovered the playlist data editor with UI columns and popup panels plugins installed in Foobar2000, is significantly more advanced than JRiver MC.

BTW, I'm now using Foobar2000 and HQPlayer. The former mostly for it's media track data editing functionality."

Also, here's two images that show Foobar2000's Metsdata and Properties editor:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21796[/ATTACH]...

Image 2 replacement

Data_Editor2.jpg

i just purchased HQ player and like im sure has happened a million times before with this thread being so long ive got a few questions i was hoping to get answered... i tried finding a manual but no luck there??

basically.. my question involves the NAA side. for reference all pcs are running win 10

1) i installed the NAA program on a computer to test to see if i could discover it. i ran the NAA program, went to hq player settings, chose NAA from the drop down but nothing appeared in the device list.

When i came back to the NAA computer it had a few "discovered" lines from the right ip address. did i miss something basic to make it show?

2) on the pc with HQ player ive got 2 subnets. ive just come from a jplay dual pc so ive got the local network come in on one port and the other network port connects to the audio pc on a separate subnet. i cant put in a switch and connect both computers to the lan ive got no outlets or space left.

I ran the NAA program on the second pc, went into HQ player once again nothing showed up. However this time there was no discovery based lines that came up on the NAA program so HQ player didnt seem to see it at all?

should it be discovering devices across both subnets that exist on that computer?

See my posts in this thread:

• Post 3707 on page 149
  • Post 3710 on page 149

Essentially HQPlayer as well as JRiver MC won't traverse subnets or VLANS, unless your network configuration is modified to allow them to do so.

I'm not tech savvy so I just listen to my music through HQ Player without tweaks (except for upsampling everything to 24/192). I've noticed some distortion with some of my music. Anyone else had that problem and if so what can be done to eliminate it? The same music played in JRiver is distortion free.

That's because JRiver as well as foobar2000, limits all PCM to 24/48.

Try a lower PCM sampling rate, such as 176.4 kHz. That might eliminate your problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Thx for the answer, but still I do not know how to proceed. How can i install NAA on my Macmini? I have a netgear active bridge in the network. How can i take advantage of it? An i agree, i do not think that there is a way of installing anything on the bridge, so the only exit seems to be via the macmini, if i am able to ellucidate the way of using it with the NAA. REgards, Ricardo

Indeed.

I'm evaluating NAA, but I'm not sure it's installed correctly on my laptop running Win 7 Pro x64. There doesn't seem to be a proper installation procedure, so I simply have the .exe startup icon pinned to my taskbar and run it from there.

Is this the correct way to run it?

• 1 month later...
A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23238[/ATTACH]

What can you say about this?

Metadata is defined correctly, but it's not transferred to the album column in the application.

Can you send one such small track to me for testing purposes? The 1:50 long would be suitable unless there's even smaller one that shows the problem.

I can't because the maximum file size for uploads are 2 MB. The file sizes I require to upload are 43 Mb for 3 gapless FLAC files, as all 3 acts of work are gapless in configuration.

If you could supply at least 2 gapless FLAC files, that might be able to sort it.

I can't because the maximum file size for uploads are 2 MB. The file sizes I require to upload are 43 Mb for 3 gapless FLAC files, as all 3 acts of work are gapless in configuration.

If you could supply at least 2 gapless FLAC files, that might be able to sort it.

Now I'm not quite following... I'd just see how the metadata is inside a single file.

You can use wesendit.com and send to Jussi's email.

R

Never used it before, but I believe I'll try wesendit.com to send tracks 4, 5 and 6 from Act 1:

DGG-Musik.jpg

... those are the smallest sequential tracks in the work, as you'll see.

BTW I believe the issue is how HQP handles gapless FLAC files, as I don't have this problem with single FLAC files.

• 4 weeks later...
Does it have third level? You can make non-destructive metadata editing in HQPlayer's Library-dialog by double-clicking the cells. It works like a spreadsheet. Since it seems to be multiple albums, you can name each album differently, for example by changing the automatic trailing number to be zero-prefixed, then it is sorted correctly in the view. For the automatic numbering I didn't consider that there would be ten or more versions of the same album from the same artist...

This was purchased direct from NativeDSD.com, but I have put each concerto in it's own separate directory:

Playlist_sort2.jpg

I did this successfully with Floriligium's Brandenburg Concertos and was trying to replicate that procedure here. I also tried double clicking each track as you suggested, but there was no obvious solution there, as well.

But the album name (top folder name) is what you have sorted on, and it sees 12 albums. Just sort on the path (since that is your qualifier). Why did you nest like this; we try to make the file names, etc friendly to players, and I insist each filename has a track number as it's lead. :)

I found the problem. It's the subdirectory naming. Here's the Brandenburg Concertos naming sequence:

Playlist_sort3.jpg

I did this back in October for the Bach, and it's this error that caused the problem. I need a procedure list for this, I suppose.

BTW, I'm doing this because I don't want to listen to all tracks at one listening session. If I just want to listen to the third concerto, that's what I'll get; nothing more or nothing less.

Does it have third level? You can make non-destructive metadata editing in HQPlayer's Library-dialog by double-clicking the cells. It works like a spreadsheet. Since it seems to be multiple albums, you can name each album differently, for example by changing the automatic trailing number to be zero-prefixed, then it is sorted correctly in the view. For the automatic numbering I didn't consider that there would be ten or more versions of the same album from the same artist...

I renamed the Vivaldi subdirectories to mach the Bach subdirectories and this is the result:

Playlist_sort4.jpg

Not sure what's going on here, as the Bach worked fine in October. At least it's better than it was because I can now clearly identify the Vivaldi concerto to select. Wish they were in proper sequence, though.

What is under each of those albums? How does it look like if you open up the albums with the ">" in the upper library view?

Not sure what you're referring to here.

In the HQPlayer Library dialog you can just change what is in the "Album" cell for each of those. You get proper sorting if you instead of 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11 use numbering with 0-prefix like, 01, 02, 03, ..., 10, 11, 12

I changed the directory naming from single to two then to three integers. It changed for the better with both two and three integer naming convention. No sort difference between those two types, however:

Playlist_sort5.jpg

The library manager is sorting correctly in proper sequence. What's odd is the end result:

Playlist_sort6.jpg

Your move!

As long as there is metadata inside the file, the directory naming doesn't matter...

Now here you see the problem, you have multiple albums of same artist and same album name. Here, double-click the cell where the album name is, and add for example "01" to the end and hit enter, repeat for each of those albums. Then exit the dialog by clicking OK to save the modified library data...

This problem is fully resolved, now.

Thanks for all the help.