IGNORED

HQ Player

I have few questions about HQ Player:

1. Is it used for 2-ch or multi-ch, or both.

2. Can it be used with AO/JPlay on a CAPS machine.

3. Can it be run on a Synology NAS (guess not).

I am running a Synology NAS with Sonore Signature Rendu with a DirectStream DAC, with Sonore connected to DS via I2s.

I have another CAPS setup with AO/JPlay with USB going to DAC.

Thanks.

I tried HQ Player last night, and I think I like what I heard. I do not think I had the settings optimized, so if someone can point me to a post or a manual which can get me started. I looked at manual which is on the Signalyst web page, but it does not describe much.

Here is what I have:

CAPS v3 Lagoon with JCAT USB Card

DirectStream DAC

My collection is 70% CD Rips, 20% DSD from SACD's, 10% other downloads PCM at 88, 176, 96, 192, etc.

I would like to know what is a good starting point with the settings. What I understand is that it will up-sample or down-sample everything, so for my DAC which is DSD capable with 192 KHz on PCM and 5.6 MHz on DSD, what is a good starting point. Should I up sample everything to DSD? I understand that PS Audio DirectStream DAC converts all incoming signals to 10x DSD.

By default; I had ploy-sine, TPDF, (44, 96, 192 I could change this setting), PCM on the front screen.

When I played PCM, I had to have PCM in the fourth column, and when I played DSD, I had to have SDM. Played around with settings, but need some explanation of what is what. I am sure it is here in these 80 or so pages, but if someone can point me in the right direction please.

Also, is there a remote, like Kazoo or JRemote we can use on iPhone, iPad. If nothing else, I think there is an App for Remote Desktop for iPad, any experience with that?

Thanks.

Can someone help me with the setup. I intend to spend sometime over the weekend, if I can get some answers.

I do not understand all the settings yet. I cannot upsample PCM to SDM. I have to switch the Sample Format on the main screen to match the file type (PCM or DSD).

What and how oversampling filter work? What is Modulator Type means?

Here is what I have:

CAPS v3 Lagoon with JCAT USB Card

DirectStream DAC

My collection is 70% CD Rips, 20% DSD from SACD's, 10% other downloads PCM at 88, 176, 96, 192, etc.

I would like to know what is a good starting point with the settings.

Thanks.

Basically you need DSD capable DAC and SDM(DSD) set on the most right drop box in the main window.

Attach here 3 pictures - File | Settings, File | DSDIFF/DSF settings and the main window. Then it will be easier to help you.

Please see attached pictures.

I am not able to up-sample PCM to DSD. I am running it on a CAPS v3 Lagoon, Dual Core Atom N2800, 4 GB RAM, Win Server 2012. DAC is PS Audio DirectStream. I would like to run it with AudiophileOptimizer, any known issues with AO? Thanks.screen2.png

Screen1.png

screen3.png

It looks to me like you are. You've got a 24/192 source file that is playing (4 seconds in) at 2.82Mhz. What am I missing? What is DS showing on its display?

DS shown 176.4/24/PCM.

I am getting sound out of speakers, but it is like pulsating/slow moving train sound of the song I am playing, and the clock also moves slowly, like 1sec in 3 sec.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I finally decided to try HQP yesterday. I don't yet have a DSD DAC, but I might soon. For now, I'm using my Eastern Electric DAC Plus (24-192).

I have HQP sounding good, but I'm using ASIO to JPLAY 6. I'd like to try using WASAPI, but it won't work. I can use WASAPI in JPLAY, but HQP won't do anything if I select WASAPI under Backend. When I do select WASAPI under Backend, my device selections are Default Endpoint, and Remote Audio. Neither work at all.

Shouldn't the WASAPI selection show my DAC driver as a selection?

Thanks.

Are you using AO?

Terry, have you rebooted lately? In ASIO mode all of my latest drivers show up (and I'm running AO). See pic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18598[/ATTACH]

Ted: I rebooted my computer and lost WASAPI like Terry reported. I thought few days ago it happened and I ran AO again and WASAPI showed up, but after power down today I ran AO again but still no WASPI. What do you mean when you ask this question.

I simply meant that I expected Terry's MiniMax driver to show up in the list after reboot, like all of mine. If I choose WASAPI as a backend then the settings pulldown only has "remote audio" and "default endpoint", but I don't care cuz I don't use it. My DAC drivers are all listed under the ASIO setting, and that is all I use.

Understood, I am also using ASIO, but I thought PS Audio WASAPI was showing before last reboot, something is going on.

Just subscribed to HQ Player, best sound I have heard so far.

Based on replies to some of my questions, I think I need to build a new computer to do a PCM to DSD conversion, my current CAPS Lagoon is not able to do the necessary computing.

There may be few more users on this thread who might be looking to upgrade the hardware, from what I can read.

I have built PC's in the past, but certainly can use some help in putting together a computer for HQ Player; MOBO, Processor, Case.....

I am using AO on Win 2012 Server, but some have suggested Win 10 to be a better choice now, don't know AO runs on WIn 10, but will find out.

I am sure Miska might have some suggestions for hardware choices, or anyone else here.

I don't want to change the direction of this thread, if that is the case please let me know. Thanks.

Pretty much. No need to optimize the machine HQPlayer is running on. You can optimize the NAA to your heart's content including LPS, PPA USB V2 card, Corning USB/regen etc etc. The noise from the HQPlayer machine is brickwalled from the NAA.

jabbr:

I am little new to NAA application. I think SOtM sMS 100 is one of the NAA.

As I understand; it connects to the network switch....and then how it connects to the PC, and how you can add PPA USB to that?

Sorry, new subject for me. If you can help out a little here to understand. Thanks.

I seem to have clicks during playback. I have only noticed during PCM so far, it is like loose electrical wire in the socket type of clicking. I have it when I up-sample 44.1 to 192. I have tried poly-sinc and poly-sinc-mp so far with NS4,5,9 and TPDF.

I had the same problem. Clicks at very low level and random. I found a simple fix. I moved my router. It seems it was some sort of rf getting into the Taurus which is notoriously sensitive to rf. Problem solved.

But these clicks seem to happen only during HQP, I have been using JRiver, MinimServer with Sonore Rendu, etc. with equipment being on the same location. I have a switch on a lower shelf, router is on another floor, so don't know the reason why. Will move things around, but I think it is from HQP, and the reason might be that my PC does not have the horsepower required for the HQP. It is an Atom based CAPS Lagoon. Thanks.

Thank you all of you in giving me some guidance on my question about clicks.

I will try all suggested things and report back.

I am running a CAPS Lagoon which is an Atom based machine, very little horsepower I must say, 4GB RAM, that's all. I am in process of trying to build a PC for HQP. I cannot up sample PCM to DSD with current hardware, I tried.

I am running Win Server 2012 with AudioPhil's AO, and I think I have even modified bios to turn of Hyper Threading, etc. per Phil's instructions, so some work to make it work in the interim until I can put together a PC.

I am looking for some suggestions/help regarding building a PC for HQP.

I have an Atom based machine, which will serve as NAA hopefully. I have a JCAT USB card in it already. It is running Win Server 2012 with AudioPhil's AO.

Desires:

1. Two machine setup. HQP/NAA. Use existing Atom as NAA, if possible.

2. Use fiber based network connections for HQP and NAA, need to learn this a little.

3. Win 10 based setup possibly. I hear Linux is better, but may come at day to day issues like no driver, etc. whenever I change DAC. Currently own a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, which goes to 5.6DSD, and 192 PCM.

4. Want to build to run DSP for multi-channel DSD, and up-sampling PCM 44.1 to double DSD or more, because might change DAC to go to 11.2, (I know it will push the hardware, but want the machine to hopefully last couple of years).

5. Like to use LPS's, have a few which go up to about 200VA (might need bigger for HQP machine I guess).

6. Would like to use AO on NAA if that helps, would find out if Phil has it for Win 10 yet.

Need Help with:

1. Selecting the processor; so far Intel i7 4790, with 4.0 Ghz, 8MB Cache looks appropriate, but please suggest.

2. Selecting a MOBO, I think this is where I need the most help. Just too many to choose from. ASUS or Intel, but please suggest.

3. RAM, which one? How much? 32MB?

4. SSD or HDD? (Currently store music on a 6TB Synology NAS, I think that part will stay, I do not see anyone suggesting to store music on HQP machine).

Thank you very much.

If your audio device is USB and you are using WASAPI backend, change "Buffer time" setting to 100 ms. The OS default 10 ms is a bit too short with USB for many computers.

If you are using ASIO backend, try increasing buffer size from the ASIO driver's control panel which you can open from the Tools-menu.

My DAC is PS Audio DirectStream, and it does not have ASIO control panel. I checked and also found something on PSA forum to confirm that. So I will adjust the buffer under settings on HQP. Thanks.

I will be trying to setup NAA today. I have a Xeon 3.07GHz 12GB RAM desktop, I will use that for HQ Player, and my Atom based machine as NAA. I will have DAC connected to the NAA.

Questions;

1. Do I need to install HQ Player on NAA.

2. Do I need to install anything else other than Win 2012 and DAC ASIO driver on NAA.

3. I think that when I select NAA under settings>backend I should see my DAC listed? This is where I need some help in understanding.

I will install Win 10 on HQ Player machine, Atom is running Win Server 2012 fro now, if things workout I will install Win 10 on NAA as well.

Thanks for all your help.

1) Nope, HQP is not needed on NAA

2) On my NAA all I installed was Win10 (base install) and DAC driver

3) Under setting you need to select Network Audio Adapter and the name of the NAA (by default it is called default) and pick the DAC. Here is what I see for my Lampizator Dac with Amanero USB card.

hqplayer-settings_zpsfnv5s2dt.png

Thanks. Simple enough I guess. I will report back.

I installed Win 10 on two computers, named HQPC and NAA, installed HQ Player on HQPC, DAC ASIO drivers on NAA. I cannot see anything under devices on HQPC when I go under settings. Backend is selected NetworkAudioAdapter. I think some kind of networking issue. Both machines are part of Workgroup. Someone said should be part of same domain, I thought you needed some kind of domain controller to do that. I can see both machines from each other. I can remote-in to them. I do not know what is going on. Let me know please. Thanks.

I don't see a step where you install the NAA daemon (networkaudiod.exe) on the NAA.

No I did not. I asked few posts back and was told only Win 10, and ASIO driver is required on NAA. Where do I find networkaudiod.exe? Thanks.

I don't see a step where you install the NAA daemon (networkaudiod.exe) on the NAA.

When I try to install Networkedaudiod.exe on NAA machine, I get an error saying program cannot start because MSVCP100.dll is missing. Please let me know how to correct that. Thanks.

networkaudiod.exe on my NAA machine keeps shutting down on its own while I am switching between albums on my HQ Player machine. I think it happens when I switch between PCM to DSD or vice versa (that is what I think), or when I am switching between PCM sample rates.