IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I have not been able to figure out what country the Swinsian developer resides in nor his name.

Swinsian was originally developed by James Burton, a UK resident. He was once quoted in an article regarding user frustration with iTunes. Ownership could have changed hands since - it was quite a few years ago

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thanks, that did the trick.  The log file has been PM'd to Jussi...

Another option - because there are so many undocumented/not easily remembered Mac keyboard commands - the free menubar utility "Funter" can show/hide hidden items on a Mac (currently 10.10-10.14) as needed. Multiple methods and shareware/freeware utilities have the ability to show 'hidden items' but for some reason this one-click utility has stayed with me since Snow Leopard.

https://nektony.com/products/funter

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Ellsworth said:

No further luck this morning.   I went to Time Machine and confirmed that it was turned off.  I did not do the Terminal command to turn off spotlight indexing. (I was afraid of blowing something up).   However, if that is a common problem, I will give it a try.   

What is puzzling is that it was working perfectly before and I didn't change anything.  I also tested playing PCM with no upsampling and experienced the same issues.   Does it make sense to do something like delete and reinstall HQP?   

I have the same Mini you have.

You could also stop Spotlight indexing on particular drives, folders or your entire computer using the Privacy tab in the Spotlight control panel. Turning it off/on is common and nothing will be damaged if you use Terminal or third party software to control it.

Reinstalling HQP is also simple enough but if I was facing this issue, I'd try to think back over the past two weeks for any other changes that may have occurred to the system. Power supplies or cables moved around? Any system hangs or crashes which may have corrupted a preference or file? Maybe new software added or automatically updated without your input? I know Roon rolled out a new version (mid December) and the release notes mention a change when communicating with HQPlayer. It now "sends 64bit float stream when practical".

I'm not experiencing your issue but, for me, Roon takes significantly longer to load at launch than it did before the update. It seems like the same software but is not behaving exactly like it did.

13 minutes ago, Ellsworth said:

Thanks for your comments.  Prior to Christmas and New Year, I had been running Roon 1.7 with HQP with no issues. Since this computer is only used for music, I haven’t had any other programs running or installed.  I tested upsampling to DSD256 using Roon only.  That worked with no problem.  Of course the sound quality doesn’t match HQP.  This is very mysterious....

My apologies, I should have been clearer... Roon 1.7 was updated to build 511 on December 18 (the original v1.07 build from November was 505). I'm just looking for clues as to what may have changed and Roon definitely did (if you've updated) - plus the timing, one week before Christmas - seemed relevant.

Included in the Roon update change log I linked was a terse note that a change was made regarding streams sent to HQPlayer "when practical". Perhaps Roon isn't testing their changes with HQP v3? Maybe their tests aren't as rigorous as they might be with El Capitan? Not pointing fingers - just pulling at threads which may have been overlooked. 

I'd narrow it down further by playing directly from HQP. If it stutters on it's own, I'd probably reinstall just because - but there could be other options I'm not thinking of. If it doesn't stutter, it seems possible that Roon and HQP aren't communicating as they should.

4 hours ago, randytsuch said:

Well if you go with embedded, you can use a usb stick with HQP OS on it, and boot from that when you want to run HQP.  Then have a SSD with Linux for anything else.

Acknowledging that everyone's needs are different, I'd add a friendly reminder that HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA. If you can live without that, it's a fabulous solution.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

It's a bummer that the Firmware update broke 48K, I like that extra scosh of upsampling it delivers.

The question becomes 'is 48K more important than MQA?' Reverting to older firmware is identical to the 'upgrade' process. Unless they eliminate that issue, my iDSD micros will forever remain with the v5.2 Limoncello firmware which was the last available before MQA support was added.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I'll have to try this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526

I could have Apple TV output audio to a Airport Express (Airplay 2) - this then feeds USBStreamer which feeds HQPe input.

I have all those devices connected by Cat 6 ethernet.

That new feature of Apple TV is supposed to measure and solve A/V sync issues but I won't know if that includes video delay until I test.

I will not assume to know exactly what your ultimate goals are but if the Apple solution doesn't work and/or you investigate alternative solutions, the Mac Plex.tv software provides A/V sync settings. Their Apple TV app may also but I have no experience with it or any way to test.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Markus87 said:

Hi @Miska,

I am planning my new HQP server right now. I will take the i9-10900K but was wondering whether it makes sense to choose the KF version over the K? 

As I figured the only difference is that the KF does not have an iGPU, correct? As I will pick an RTX 2080 Ti anyways, that should not be a problem and might even be an advantage in terms of noise... What do you think? 

Cheers, 

Markus

An observation from a Linux newbie - I had black screen issues when trying to set up an RTX 2080 Ti in Ubuntu 18.04. The problems were completely due to my unfamiliarity with the software but trouble-shooting in the early stages would have been infinitely more difficult if I had not been able to fall back on the built-in Intel video.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, semente said:

What would be a better Mac option regarding fan noise and upconverting Redbook to DSD256 (perhaps DSD512)?

a Mac Mini M1 2020

a Mac Mini Core i7 3.2GHz 2018

a Mac Pro Quad Core Xeon 3.7GHz 2013

I don’t have personal experience with each model on the list but have used Minis exclusively since they were first introduced over a decade ago. Of the four models I have owned/continue to use, the M1 has, by far, been the quietest and up to this point, run the coolest. No spinning drive is probably a very big factor.

Upsampling Redbook to DSD1024 (via UPboard NAA>Holo Spring 2) on the M1 running a full array of applications and their background processes is consistently doable without dropouts (mostly AMSDM7+fs w/ wide variety of filters). Mine has 16GB of RAM but that does not seem to be a requirement - it was a ‘future proofing’ decision more than anything.

My experience is not as deep or varied as many here but can objectively say that at least with wintertime ambient temps the first gen M1 runs cooler and is quieter than any computer I’ve ever owned.