IGNORED

Wolfson bought by cirrus

Yes.

Not sure. Folks have generally cheered the deal as diversifying Cirrus' customer base beyond Apple (they're a heck of a customer base by themselves, of course), but I wonder whether this could herald a near- or mid-future move by Apple up the "food chain" of internal chips for its iDevices. I can hope, anyway.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Folks in uk not pleased.

The not pleased in the UK is more down to political reasons rather than any loss of a great DAC maker. Its a case of yet another small UK technology company being subsumed into a large foreign entity.

Did we lose a great dac maker?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends how independent Wolfson stay within Cirrus. In much the same way we still talk about Burr Brown perhaps Wolfson will stay around in spirit if not financial circles.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thoughts?

Folks in uk not pleased. Did we lose a great dac maker?

Quite the contrary. The combined company will have very big tax incentives to do more in the UK and less in the USA.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant