IGNORED

Article: Searching For Good Sound at AXPONA Chicago 2014

High end audio should be on the cutting edge of sound quality, convenience, and customer service. The prices are certainly on the cutting edge, but not in a good way. Enough of the excuses about being "analog guys" who don't understand all this "new" digital stuff. It's time to adapt or die.

Very well said indeed!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...
Don't understand all this new digital stuff?

Oh, are you referring to the fact that NO ONE ever says - "gee, my system doesn't sound "digital enough" ?. I really prefer a more cold, sterile, grainy and overly bright presentation - yea, you know that "digital sound" - the sound with less than "organic harmonics" - yea, that's what I want!

Nope, nobody ever says that.

What analog guys want - is the way music was meant to be heard. The computer was never designed to transmit digital data representing an organic sound. Digital data simply provides a convenient "simulation of sound", the computer offers significant flexibility when re-arranging the playback selection for your "simulated sound".

If I'm wrong, then please let me know why all reviewers consistently comment about DACS they like by saying -" ....the most analog sounding Dac I have ever had in my system" - they never compliment a Dac by saying - "The most digital sounding dac, I've ever heard." That's why Analog guys don't get it, they aren't willing to settle for less. Why are you ?

I would hazard a guess that really good digital will blow you away with it's sound. It is different than analog, but- it has all the best parts of analog sound without the drawbacks. No "wow and flutter" for instance. Usually no clicks and pops either. ;) In fact, many modest digital systems these days already sound better than LPs to many people. Perhaps to most people. And more, a good digital system can playback a "needle drop" so well it is nearly indistinguishable from the original. Sometimes better than the original. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein