IGNORED

OS X Mavericks Is Being Offered on My MacBook Pro; Good Idea or Not?

First time Mavericks is being offered on my 2012 MBP? From some of the feedback and glitches and all the workarounds some folks have to go through, it looks like I may want to stay with Mountain Lion (I think that's the system) currently on my machine.

First time Mavericks is being offered on my 2012 MBP? From some of the feedback and glitches and all the workarounds some folks have to go through, it looks like I may want to stay with Mountain Lion (I think that's the system) currently on my machine.

The glitches descibed in other threads all seem to be DAC/driver compatibility issues. I have a non-Retina MBP upgraded to the latest Mavericks OSX 10.9.2, and have not had a moment's trouble, either with my previous MF V-LINK192/Peachtree DAC•iT, or my new NAD M51 DAC.

The glitches descibed in other threads all seem to be DAC/driver compatibility issues. I have a non-Retina MBP upgraded to the latest Mavericks OSX 10.9.2, and have not had a moment's trouble, either with my previous MF V-LINK192/Peachtree DAC•iT, or my new NAD M51 DAC.

codyred .. I like Mavericks better than Mountain Lion. Just make sure you do your homework before upgrading. As mentioned here, there have been some USB driver issues. I think most DACs using drivers based on M2Tech's iteration had problems, including my Chord QuteHD DAC. Chord issued a fix shortly thereafter. I've had no other problems.

If you have a DAC that does not require drivers (most of them) then I think the jump to Mavericks is an all around improvement. Especially since Mavericks restores the "integer" mode capability many player programs can take advantage of.

As always though, if you are very happy with your current setup, then install Mavericks on an external drive and test with it first, before jumping in with both feet. :)

And, as others have mentioned, if your DAC has USB based upon the MTech line, it does require a driver that probably will not currently work under Mavericks. In that case, do not make the jump until either they write a driver to support Mavericks and beyond, or until you upgrade to use a compatible DAC.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you have a DAC that does not require drivers (most of them) then I think the jump to Mavericks is an all around improvement. Especially since Mavericks restores the "integer" mode capability many player programs can take advantage of.

As always though, if you are very happy with your current setup, then install Mavericks on an external drive and test with it first, before jumping in with both feet. :)

And, as others have mentioned, if your DAC has USB based upon the MTech line, it does require a driver that probably will not currently work under Mavericks. In that case, do not make the jump until either they write a driver to support Mavericks and beyond, or until you upgrade to use a compatible DAC.

You guys are great! Thanks. My external DAC is the Halide DAC HD