IGNORED

XLD and iTunes

a.dent

I am currently ripping some CDs with XLD. I seem to need some advice.

I have set preferences to "add encoded files to iTunes if possible". I am ripping to AIFF format.

When I look for the files in finder all individual songs appear in the output directory that I have specified in XLD but only some albums appear further down in iTunes media under "Music".

I wanted to transfer the iTunes media files to another external HDD after ripping but it seems that some of the ripped CDs will be missing.

Why don't all the CDs show in iTunes media directory?

Thanks

PS: I am using the Dougscript to save artwork as a JPEG if that makes any difference.

Did you set up the path to where the files should be located in XLD preferences

Yes

The files are visible in two places in finder. The top one is in the path I set in XLD preferences (and is showing as individual songs with all first tracks at the top then all second tracks next etc) and below under iTunes media the albums are listed alphabetically by artist and these can be opened to show each individual song and the JPEG artwork file. It is this section under iTunes media that several albums are missing.

For my purposes the path set in XLD is the iTunes path that ends with iTunes Media/Music. Unless there is a specific need you have to create a separate location that should solve it. Do you have Keep iTunes Media Folder and Copy Files To iTunes Media Folder When Adding To Library checked in iTunes preferences Preferences>Advanced? Mine is checked.

A quick fix to the ones that are missing in iTunes would be to simply drag the album folders to the iTunes icon on your desktop and they will copy into the iTunes Media/Music location.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

The crazy thing is they are all in iTunes, with their artwork, when I open iTunes. They just are not in the iTunes media folder when I look in finder. It is the iTunes media folder that I was hoping to copy to my other external HDD.

Okay, my guess is they are in iTunes because of the Add To iTunes Library If Possible box being checked in XLD Preferences but located in the other Folder in Finder because of the path set up in XLD Preferences.

Try try this for a test. Change the path in XLD to match the path in Finder To your iTunes Media/Music. Then in XLD go to File>Open Folder As A Disc and follow the path in Finder to the other Music Folder where the "missing from iTunes" albums are located and select one of the missing folders and Open/Okay. Then in the upper tool bar of XLD select Transcode (note if you drag and drop album artwork to the artwork box here it will embed it with the file). This will happen fast. Check the ITunes Media/Music location and look for that album folder under the artist name

Frank Zappa
The crazy thing is they are all in iTunes, with their artwork, when I open iTunes. They just are not in the iTunes media folder when I look in finder. It is the iTunes media folder that I was hoping to copy to my other external HDD.

I've experienced this myself. After much trial and error, I think XLD will put your ripped files organized for iTunes automatically in your iTunes media folder when you have "add encoded files to iTunes..." checked NO MATTER WHERE your output path is.

For example, I just ripped a CD and my output file is my Recycle/Trash bin on my Synology NAS. All my files are still in the correct Artist's folder, in the right album, in the correct track order. There are also AIFF files in my Recycle trash bin. I just delete the recycle bin after.

So I suggest you make your output path somewhere else (like a temp folder on desktop, or the location of the second library you're building on the external HDD ). This will stop the duplication of tracks in your iTunes Media Library.

I've experienced this myself. After much trial and error, I think XLD will put your ripped files organized for iTunes automatically in your iTunes media folder when you have "add encoded files to iTunes..." checked NO MATTER WHERE your output path is.

For example, I just ripped a CD and my output file is my Recycle/Trash bin on my Synology NAS. All my files are still in the correct Artist's folder, in the right album, in the correct track order. There are also AIFF files in my Recycle trash bin. I just delete the recycle bin after.

So I suggest you make your output path somewhere else (like a temp folder on desktop, or the location of the second library you're building on the external HDD ). This will stop the duplication of tracks in your iTunes Media Library.

Just as a point of understanding on my part and not a point of disagreement but why have the path point anywhere else but the final destination? What is the benefit?

thanks

Frank Zappa

Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 10.15.26 pm.png

Here's a screen shot of the XLD "open folder as a disc". All the song files are blanked out.

Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 10.21.53 pm.png

This shows where most of the files are going but not all. For some reason some CDs are not going to iTunes media but still show up in iTunes when I open it.

So I can't choose any of the missing files to open.

????

Just as a point of understanding on my part and not a point of disagreement but why have the path point anywhere else but the final destination? What is the benefit?

thanks

This is only an issue when ripping CDs with XLD and using iTunes for media storage. When you select "add embedded files to iTunes..." and also make the output location your iTunes Media folder, it places the files there twice. Once in an organized fashion and again scattered all over (alphabetically by track in the Media folder). So the benefit is to avoid have two files output in iTunes.

Another benefit I can see is if you wanted two libraries, one in iTunes and one somewhere else. I actually do this but I can't take advantage of the benefit because I want AIFF in iTunes, and FLAC in a second location, not AIFF in iTunes and AIFF in the second library.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12022[/ATTACH]

Here's a screen shot of the XLD "open folder as a disc". All the song files are blanked out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12023[/ATTACH]

This shows where most of the files are going but not all. For some reason some CDs are not going to iTunes media but still show up in iTunes when I open it.

????

Wait, are you ripping CDs or converting files? For ripping CDs, choose XLD>File>Open Audio Disc. In Preferences, make your output location NOT your iTunes media folder. Make it a folder on your desktop or something. Then check the "add encoded files to iTunes..." box. This should put the ripped files in the proper artist, album location in iTunes.

Just delete the files in the folder on your desktop if you don't want them.

This is only an issue when ripping CDs with XLD and using iTunes for media storage. When you select "add embedded files to iTunes..." and also make the output location your iTunes Media folder, it places the files there twice. Once in an organized fashion and again scattered all over (alphabetically by track in the Media folder). So the benefit is to avoid have two files output in iTunes.

Another benefit I can see is if you wanted two libraries, one in iTunes and one somewhere else. I actually do this but I can't take advantage of the benefit because I want AIFF in iTunes, and FLAC in a second location, not AIFF in iTunes and AIFF in the second library.

I have never experienced files duplicated in iTunes when using XLD as I describe.

Frank Zappa
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12023[/ATTACH]

????

Okay that top screen shot doesn't look correct. Let's see if we can verify where those folders/files actually are. In the iTunes interface select one track from one of the albums that shows in iTunes but is not showing up in iTunes Media>Music. Then select File>Get Info. On the Summary tab towards the bottom it should show were the file is located. Does it match the path to the iTunes HDD you created or does it show a different location?

Frank Zappa
I have never experienced files duplicated in iTunes when using XLD as I describe.

Good. Maybe we have different settings somewhere else in XLD. There's probably more that one way to rip a disc. When I have my iTunes Media Library as the output destination, I get the same problem as the OP= scattered tracks all over my iTunes Music Library.

I'm only trying to help the OP. I experienced the same issue as he is describing (if I'm understanding his description correctly). The solution for me was to basically ignore the output path, and the "Add encoded Files to iTunes..." put the ripped files in iTunes organized, nice and pretty.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe post screen shots of my XLD and iTunes preference settings that could be compared to your own. Let me know if interested.

This could be totally off mark but one thought that just came to mind is the only time I have had files go missing to another location is if I failed to have my external HDD booted prior to initiating. That's were my library is located. The file will show in the iTunes GUI bot not in the designated folder path. That's when I used the transcoding to properly place the folder and then delete the other. It's been awhile since that occurred as I am very conscious of the issue.

Frank Zappa

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 8.53.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 8.53.58 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 8.55.21 am.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 9.02.28 am.png

Screen shots of some of the "missing" files.

Thanks mwheelerk and phatoldsun. You are fantastic.

I realise where the problems are now.

The way I had XLD set up I definitely was getting duplicates. I have changed preferences as suggested by phatoldsun. Thanks.

The "missing" CDs are not really missing but are in compilations and/or labelled incorrectly. Thanks to mwheelerk for suggesting I check the file path in Get Info.

Now can someone suggest how to get rid of that annoying compilations category?

Typically when I end up with Compilation titles (it can be Various Artists Or Soundtrack albums) it is because there are guest artists on some of the songs. That means on one song on the album the artist might read Bob Dylan and on another song it would read Bob Dylan And Willie Nelson. That will cause it to become a compilation. How I handle it is to change it so the Artist is the same for every song (in this example Bob Dylan) and then on the individual song title I add [featuring Willie Nelson]. You may have to select/highlight the entire album in iTunes and Get Info then change the Compilation from Yes to No. Only do that after having changed the Artist and Song Title "featuring" as if you do it before it will create a separate Folder For each individual "Artist" listed.

Someone else may know a better way but that's the way I do it.

Frank Zappa
Thanks

I was afraid I would have to remove the compilation tags manually. I guess it won't take that long

Are you familiar with and do you use the Column Browser in iTunes? I ask because I find this the easiest way to browse iTunes when I want to edit metadata like we are discussing. .

If not go to Songs View (at the top center of screen. Then at the very top toolbar select View>Show Column Browser. I have checked Genres, Artists and Albums. Also I like to always see artwork in this view. Again go to View>View Options and check Show Artwork and Always Show. I adjust size to the largest moving the slider all the way to the right.

Make a selection in the Artist column and type C then scroll until you see Compilations and select that. All of the Albums that are Compilations will show in the column on the right. Select the first Album you wish to work with. Only that album will then be displayed. In that Artist column if the names are not the same you will need to do the procedure I previously described. If they are the same or after you make the Artist changes go back in the Column Browser>Albums and highlight that album again and do the Get Info and under the Options tab change Compilation to No.

Frank Zappa

And with all the suggestions just so it not too much more confusing phatoldsun's advice is aimed at helping you while ripping new stuff into your library and mine was targeted at cleaning up the files you already had and had "gone missing"

Frank Zappa
And with all the suggestions just so it not too much more confusing phatoldsun's advice is aimed at helping you while ripping new stuff into your library and mine was targeted at cleaning up the files you already had and had "gone missing"

I appreciate the advice I received from both of you. Each bit helped me understand the way iTunes works and I now am having a trouble free ripping journey.

I must say that once you scratch the iTunes surface there is a very powerful and complex software underneath.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Andrew

I appreciate the advice I received from both of you. Each bit helped me understand the way iTunes works and I now am having a trouble free ripping journey.

I must say that once you scratch the iTunes surface there is a very powerful and complex software underneath.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Andrew

Excellent. Glad it is going well and you can now enjoy your music like never before.

Frank Zappa