IGNORED

REM Chronic Town DSD @ Acoustic Sounds?

Looks like we got a small treat today, anyone download this or heard it? Back when I couldn't understand a thing Micheal said...and the more I did understand, the less I liked them :/

REM-Chronic Town-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Looks like we got a small treat today, anyone download this or heard it? Back when I couldn't understand a thing Micheal said...and the more I did understand, the less I liked them :/

REM-Chronic Town-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Guess I will have to fork over the $$$ this time to find out!

Now it seems Fables of the Reconstruction is on DSD? Anyone know whats up with REM and these releases? Are there more coming? Can't say Fables is my fav...but there are a few choice tracks on this one.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Guess I will have to fork over the $$$ this time to find out!

Now it seems Fables of the Reconstruction is on DSD? Anyone know whats up with REM and these releases? Are there more coming? Can't say Fables is my fav...but there are a few choice tracks on this one.

I like this one and haven't really heard it since vinyl, so a nice surprise. It is an EP...5 songs, and still carries close to a full album premium price.

Let us know how the DSD quality is if you pick it up

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Listening over my iPhone via jRiver on my crappy Logitech speaker setup and can already say there is more punch and detail than any previous experience with this recording. Toe tapping for sure...I'm giving it a reserved thumbs up until I can warm up the Oppo 105 and give it a good listening in a few.

Universal Music must be scouring their vaults for DSD Tapes to License as DSD Music Downloads these days. Note this quote from a Universal Music exec on Stereophile earlier today:

"Belcher added, "Universal has retailers who ask for DSD because their customers ask for DSD. It's part of the natural progression from vinyl to hi-res. The big challenge is getting the digitally minded to understand that there's a better experience available in hi-res. HRA is a reason to listen to an album from the first track to the last."

Sony Goes All-Out with High-Resolution Audio | Stereophile.com

I'm really liking the DSD version from AS...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Is it more than twice as good as the PCM conversion (since it costs twice as much?).

No idea. I've not had a copy before and this is my only one…probably not with the right DAC, probably so if your DAC does DSD better. Just saying…

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

REM Fables of Reconstruction has become available on DSD through Acoustic Sounds as well

REM-Fables Of The Reconstruction-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

REM Fables of Reconstruction has become available on DSD through Acoustic Sounds as well

Yes! Probably getting as many of these as they wanna put up.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Crossing my fingers for Reckoning. It is nice to find something mildly more contemporary on DSD

Crossing my fingers for Reckoning. It is nice to find something mildly more contemporary on DSD

Reckoning is still my favorite - nostalgia, probably. Saw them back then in a club converted from an old church, maybe held 300 tops. They were late getting in, didn't start until 2 am. Stipe had 2 foot long hair that he flung around as he danced and sang.

Ah, the days. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me preface this review saying I am a long time early REM fan and lack an audiophile copy of this material. After listening to this release of Fables, my guess is that the source recording is mediocre at best. If you expect HUGE improvements, then you will be disappointed...I judged it against my original IRS CD and while it was better in detail and clarity, the whole record is just a jangled mess. If you are reading this, you already know this record is a difficult (but rewarding) listen. I pulled the trigger after waiting for someone else to review this...so hope I am doing someone else a favor. [Running the DSD through my Oppo 105]