IGNORED

Should people over 40 or 50 buy expensive audio equipment?

Yes; people should spend their money on what makes them happy...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

....... age doesn't affect one's ability to hear good quality bass, or to distinguish low distortion from high distortion, or to hear the subtle nuances in music that high-end audio equipment can present.

+1

I could not agree with you more, George.

The more I listen, the more I find to appreciate in good quality reproduction despite the fact that old man time reduces my ability to hear 'everything'.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

If you look at the market economics, you will realize that if there were no buyers over 40 (or 50), there would likely be no expensive audio components. ;-)

So true Kal the youngsters do like their mobility but there are those buyers under 40 that can afford expensive audio components.

The Truth Is Out There

Maybe I'm alone on this but it took me till somewhere in my late 30's before I even understood what makes a proper system sound the way it does. I've always been into audio since I can remember but never really thought about it holistically enough to know exactly why some components sounded better or worse then others and then how to go about addressing the shortcomings involved to make things right.

Unfortunately I can only count the number of people I know on one hand that have an attention span long enough to sit thru an entire song in silence let alone an entire album, and they are adults! As for young bucks, forget about it! They can't keep their nose out of their smart phone long enough to even hold a conversation let alone listen to a decent HiFi setup. When presented with the opportunity to do so the first thing they reach for is their MP3 player to hook up to the proper HiFi setup :(

I wish the HiEnd manufacturers the best of luck going forward once us old farts die off.

I'm 58, on my way to deafness partly industrial, partly genetic, but my God I can still tell when it sounds crap or amazing.

Most associates concur with me, so I suppose when the day comes and it all sounds the same I'll be in heaven or hell!!!!

Yes; people should spend their money on what makes them happy...

It's a shame that divorce is so darn expensive !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It's a shame that divorce is so darn expensive !

Now that's a fine way to tell me you want to get divorced Alex :-)

All in good fun (I hope)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Now that's a fine way to tell me you want to get divorced Alex :-)

All in good fun (I hope)

Eloise

Hi Eloise

I didn't need to, as the local G.P. took her off my hands, and I haven't heard from her in over 30 years . The hard part was getting back my logic controlled SQ playback system and vinyl collection that she took with her ! Unlike many ladies she enjoyed audio at more than carry on a normal conversation levels.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

No. They should get with the times and "stream"....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Still wanting for that "perfect" streaming device :)

waiting and wanting :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yes, we should all donate our expensive equipment to the young. This is a wonderful idea. I think President Obama should take on this program.

Like this:

1. The IRS can come to your house and pack up your gear.

2. The IRS can then send all the collected equipment to Health and Human Services. (HHS)

3. HHS can then send the collected equipment to the young, healthy kids who signed up for Obama Care!

What could go wrong?

what do you mean by saying who sign up for obama care you have to be careful

In a perfect world maybe, but it hasn't happen in the US in my life time and I'm not sure it has happened anywhere else where it really made a difference. Big corporations and money will win every time.

Now back to some non politics.

Yes they should it all comes down to one thing " getting better with age" and I don't mean your

hearing range I'm talking about being able to hear the difference between good and bad. When I was in my teens and twenty's you could not tell me that that bloated bass and overly exaggerated high frequency's did not sound good. Now that I'm with in this age bracket and with

many years under my belt of listening to audio of good quality I have learn how to hear and tell the difference between bad, good and great sound.

Now that I'm with in this age bracket and with

many years under my belt of listening to audio of good quality I have learn how to hear and tell the difference between bad, good and great sound.

Or so you think anyway, just as you did when you were young and bleary eared.

Chris

I have moderate hearing loss in one ear and a notch loss in the other. I can hear differences in equipment and improvements when listening to different cables/equipment. I don't believe my hearing is as sensitive/accurate as those with good/normal hearing but i do OK. I would say that only those with the hearing loss can gage whether they have "hit the wall" so to speak.

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

Hiro got me thinking -- since hearing declines with age, is there really any point in spending good money on an audio system after age 40 or so? Should 60 year olds even be allowed to manage their own audio finances, or should the rest home be in charge? Wouldn't the world be better off if rich Baby Boomers donated to charity or purchased expensive audio equipment for 25 year old aspiring audiophiles?

If it took Hiro to get you thinking, that ends the discussion right there. You're done.

I got to this "thread" late but Kal echoes my first response to this.

If 40+ can't buy expensive gear, 2/3 of the audio industry at least would never have been born.

And as others have said, there is way more to music than merely >15khz.

It takes a brain and experience to even realize how and what to listen for and what live unamplified music sounds like.

etc,. etc., etc.

If it took Hiro to get you thinking, that ends the discussion right there. You're done.

I got to this "thread" late but Kal echoes my first response to this.

If 40+ can't buy expensive gear, 2/3 of the audio industry at least would never have been born.

And as others have said, there is way more to music than merely >15khz.

It takes a brain and experience to even realize how and what to listen for and what live unamplified music sounds like.

etc,. etc., etc.

Maybe that is better understood as an argument for a society in which the baby boomers haven't hoarded all the wealth and decent jobs.

Maybe that is better understood as an argument for a society in which the baby boomers haven't hoarded all the wealth and decent jobs.

That's an interesting concept. Did they all (the boomers) get together and plan the hoarding at a nice resort somewhere? Perhaps they took a college course on how to plan a hoarding.

Chris