IGNORED

Should people over 40 or 50 buy expensive audio equipment?

Hiro got me thinking -- since hearing declines with age, is there really any point in spending good money on an audio system after age 40 or so? Should 60 year olds even be allowed to manage their own audio finances, or should the rest home be in charge? Wouldn't the world be better off if rich Baby Boomers donated to charity or purchased expensive audio equipment for 25 year old aspiring audiophiles?

I am 78 and have in the past seven to eight years upgraded various components in my system and will continue to do so. I do this for three reasons.

1. I can afford it and realize that i cannot take it with me.

2. I CAN hear the improvements.

3. My son at a later time will have good equipment.

Hiro got me thinking -- since hearing declines with age, is there really any point in spending good money on an audio system after age 40 or so? Should 60 year olds even be allowed to manage their own audio finances, or should the rest home be in charge? Wouldn't the world be better off if rich Baby Boomers donated to charity or purchased expensive audio equipment for 25 year old aspiring audiophiles?

Dumber than dumb.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Yes, we should all donate our expensive equipment to the young. This is a wonderful idea. I think President Obama should take on this program.

Like this:

1. The IRS can come to your house and pack up your gear.

2. The IRS can then send all the collected equipment to Health and Human Services. (HHS)

3. HHS can then send the collected equipment to the young, healthy kids who signed up for Obama Care!

What could go wrong?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

LMAO thinking that some people have taken Bill's original post seriously...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

LMAO thinking that some people have taken Bill's original post seriously...

Well my first thought was "...doesn't the midrange get better with more expensive equipment?"

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Absolutely not! ... They are like babies (Boomers or not).

Should be buried immediately, but I ask that in my case, please let my ears above the ground level.

Roch

Yes, we should all donate our expensive equipment to the young. This is a wonderful idea. I think President Obama should take on this program.

Like this:

1. The IRS can come to your house and pack up your gear.

2. The IRS can then send all the collected equipment to Health and Human Services. (HHS)

3. HHS can then send the collected equipment to the young, healthy kids who signed up for Obama Care!

What could go wrong?

Please don't give 'em anymore dumb ideas.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Not if they have two college bound kids.

Unless they live in a modern democracy where education is free ;-)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

All depends on which continent you live on. :)

The Truth Is Out There

Let's continue this thought. Should recording and mastering engineers as well as audio equipment engineers be forced to retire at 40, like professional athletes retire at 30 or 35 because their body is too old? ;)

Heck what about nobody under 30 should be allowed to comment on audio as they are often misguided by the horrid music of their age group.

Or nobody should be allowed to comment on anything audio unless your a diehard classical and opera fan.

The Truth Is Out There

Or nobody should be allowed to comment on anything audio unless your a diehard classical and opera fan.

Or nobody should be allowed to comment on audio IF they ARE a diehard classical and opera fan. :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am old & hard-of-hearing, none of this jabberwocky makes a lick sense!

Young people are a nuisance; troublesome, rude, & dumb. Unable to appreciate anything of value or meaning, never looking up from those itty-bitty, unreadable screens they stare at continuously. They are like hazardous waste. They should all be locked up somewhere far, far away. Why in world would we be willing to give them good stereos? No purpose served by such useless actions.

Wait........

What was the question?

I forgot what we were talking about.

Was it about the food here?

I hate the food here!

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I am old & hard-of-hearing, none of this jabberwocky makes a lick sense!

Young people are a nuisance; troublesome, rude, & dumb. Unable to appreciate anything of value or meaning, never looking up from those itty-bitty, unreadable screens they stare at continuously. They are like hazardous waste. They should all be locked up somewhere far, far away. Why in world would we be willing to give them good stereos? No purpose served by such useless actions.

Wait........

What was the question?

I forgot what we were talking about.

Was it about the food here?

I hate the food here!

Wkhanna. (somewhat quote) Get offa my lawn you whippersnappers!!!

Pink Floyd. (quote) Hey, leave them kids alone!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Audio is not just about high frequency extension. If it were, then you might have a case for saying that people over 50 don't need to buy expensive audio equipment. But age doesn't affect one's ability to hear good quality bass, or to distinguish low distortion from high distortion, or to hear the subtle nuances in music that high-end audio equipment can present.

George

I disagree...

If everyone without (so called) influence stood up and said ..

Eloise

In a perfect world maybe, but it hasn't happen in the US in my life time and I'm not sure it has happened anywhere else where it really made a difference. Big corporations and money will win every time.

Now back to some non politics.

The Truth Is Out There