IGNORED

Mac Mini storage options

When using a Mac Mini as a headless server, is there any real work benefit to using 1 drive vs 2 drives?

Initially I was thinking of a 120gb ssd for the boot and a 500gb ssd for music. The boot will allow for the computer to get up and running fast, but not sure it'll do much for the music end. I know no moving parts vs moving parts, but I promise you I won't be connecting gear to measure vibrations, so as such, I'm doubtful I'd hear any difference.

Then I was thinking ssd boot, but 1-2tb hdd for music.

But now I'm simply wondering if there's any reason For not just keeping everything on 1 drive. What would be the argument for having a boot and a music hdd?

If it's just something such as hard drive failure or backups, please let me know.

If it's done technical music audiophile thing, I'm equally interested.

Thanks!!!

When using a Mac Mini as a headless server, is there any real work benefit to using 1 drive vs 2 drives?

Initially I was thinking of a 120gb ssd for the boot and a 500gb ssd for music. The boot will allow for the computer to get up and running fast, but not sure it'll do much for the music end. I know no moving parts vs moving parts, but I promise you I won't be connecting gear to measure vibrations, so as such, I'm doubtful I'd hear any difference.

Then I was thinking ssd boot, but 1-2tb hdd for music.

But now I'm simply wondering if there's any reason For not just keeping everything on 1 drive. What would be the argument for having a boot and a music hdd?

If it's just something such as hard drive failure or backups, please let me know.

If it's done technical music audiophile thing, I'm equally interested.

Thanks!!!

For me it is backup issues more than anything else. You may not be aware, but Mac have an EFI bios and can boot from pretty much any drive. My external music drive for example, has a full copy of the OS and all my music player applications in it. If the internal drive fails then it is only a couple minutes to reboot and be back up and playing.

Also handy for testing other configurations, booting Windows, Reloading Windows when it screws up, etc. :)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you just want basic media storage id put a large thunderbolt drive on.

As the content on the mac won't change that much partition the drive and take regular image copies of the drive using carbon copy cloner. As said above if the mac drive fails you boot from the thunderbolt drive...

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806