IGNORED

Selling A C.A.P.S. Question...

If I have Win8, and JRiver 18 loaded on the machine; what and why, should I remove...before selling it to a new owner?

Thanks

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

what and why, should I remove...before selling it to a new owner?

I keep wondering if your question targets something beyond the obvious.

If you sell the software licenses with the hardware, leave it installed, otherwise you have to remove it. Re-selling software in Europe is not an issue, in North America it is subject to the end user agreement which comes with the software. Some companies try to limit the owner's right to transfer software, and US courts seem to uphold this.

Apart from the obvious, I never sell storage media without wiping them completely.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Thanks. I guess what I was going for...which I admit, wasn't obvious; was...if I send the C.A.P.S., with my copies of Win8 and JRiver intact. Am I going to have to buy new copies; or can I reload them on my new build?

IDK; I think with JR, you're allowed to license a number of machines...right? And the Win8, is some busted-open, trial, bootleg, whatever anyway; but I guess I wonder, if it sees my old one registered and my new one registered. You know what...it doesn't matter. Deleting silly post.

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

In the part of the world where I live, it is sufficient if you own a license for software you use (you do not need the physical copy). That means if you sell your machine to someone and that person obtains e.g. a Windows 8 license, it is perfectly legal. The same should apply for JRiver also.

As to installing multiple copies, I would presume that this is limited to the same household?

As far as I know, the Windows registration does not keep track of installed copies, it just checks against white and black lists. But my experience is limited.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

flac2dac: I feel compelled to say this, and forgive me if it seems out of place. Recently you had some items for sale, and the listing contained a photo of your room. Consider moving that coffee table and pulling your chair out from the wall. It would most likely make more difference than a new CAPS build.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

flac2dac: I feel compelled to say this, and forgive me if it seems out of place. Recently you had some items for sale, and the listing contained a photo of your room. Consider moving that coffee table and pulling your chair out from the wall. It would most likely make more difference than a new CAPS build.

Point taken; and welcome. My room is..."challenging", lol. I know a Coffee table, is rumored to destroy imaging; can't help it...I like having a place to put my shi stuff. :)

As for the chair...I know coming out from the back-wall would help; but then I'm that much closer to the speakers. But again...comment is fine; maybe a PM next time ;)

This may have been settled now but here is my view on an ethical rather than legal point...

If you buy a copy of a piece of software you are (unless other wise stated) buying the right to utilise one copy of that software. If you sell the machine you have that software installed on; you must either remove it from the machine, or purchase a new copy to use yourself.

Beyond that some software manufacturers may put restrictions on a particular license. For example an OEM license if restricted in terms of transfer... Now is that restriction fair; some say not but surely part of the reason for the lower cost is because it is less versatile. For example Windows licenses generally restrict you to installing it on one machine and that cannot be transferred to a new machine.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.