IGNORED

JRiver Media Network

Here are a couple of links to JRiver's network capabilities:

Media Network - JRiverWiki

Remotes - JRiverWiki

and a general topic on DLNA

Most aspects of it work with audio, video, and images. This includes live and recorded TV.

We're also working on a DLNA Render based on the Intel NUC. It's working now, running Debian Linux and JRiver Media Center for Linux.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

You have a nice product for eye candy and library organization but unfortunately it doesn't equal Asset or Foobar2000 when I compare for fidelity as a DLNA server with separate renderer, controller app. Part of that I suspect is the general windows code bloat issue, application overhead for seldom used features. Is it possible to strip down Jriver, reduce the loaded code to only that needed for DLNA and library functions? Would love to give that a shot if there were registry edits or other tricks to get Jriver better optimized as a pure DLNA server application and to support theater view in a remote controller app.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

You have a nice product for eye candy and library organization but unfortunately it doesn't equal Asset or Foobar2000 when I compare for fidelity as a DLNA server with separate renderer, controller app. Part of that I suspect is the general windows code bloat issue, application overhead for seldom used features. Is it possible to strip down Jriver, reduce the loaded code to only that needed for DLNA and library functions? Would love to give that a shot if there were registry edits or other tricks to get Jriver better optimized as a pure DLNA server application and to support theater view in a remote controller app.

I think JRMC's weakest point is the user interface, but since I tend to do almost everything with JRemote, it doesn't matter all that much to me.

Strange how people's tastes and estimation of something can be, I find Foobar to be rather crude and not sound as good as even iTunes under Windows. JRMC seems to be more refined and sound a little better. It sounds a lot better under MacOS though! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

We're also working on a DLNA Render based on the Intel NUC. It's working now, running Debian Linux and JRiver Media Center for Linux.

Ohhh- is this going to include hardware? I am currently using JRMC without a local library to stream stuff around, but a compact little box to do that, without the need to dedicate a modern computer, would be wonderful.... :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

A couple of questions (and the answers may be out there already).

When used in a multi-room network situation; can multiple devices be synchronised? For example can I have a Master system connected to one DAC, then in my dining room have a smaller system and when walking from one room to the other just have to select the Master system's stream?

Second will this also work with video so that (during parties for example) 3 screens can all show the same music videos.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you mean sound quality by "fidelity", maybe the server is converting to MP3. Check the advanced options under Media Network. DLNA just transfers a file to the Renderer.

When I do choose to still use Jriver its in 24 bit dac mode with no conversions streaming wav and FLAC. I used it for quite a while until another member on the site encouraged me to use Foobar2000 instead... haven't been able to stomach going back to JRiver since because of the greater transparency and dynamics with Foobar2000. I think JRiver could compete if it weren't burdened with processing overhead but that control is outside of the current user interface and without it I'm not likely to pay for any future upgrades.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Yes, you can do that. The devices used may make a difference.

Take a look at ZoneLink at the bottom of this page on Zones.

There's no mention of active synchronisation over DLNA by JRiver itself in that link. Presumably, then, JRiver is relying on the 'timing' (ie, luck) between the various streaming devices for synchronised DLNA multizone streaming, is that correct?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

There's no mention of active synchronisation over DLNA by JRiver itself in that link. Presumably, then, JRiver is relying on the 'timing' (ie, luck) between the various streaming devices for synchronised DLNA multizone streaming, is that correct?

There appears to be some synchronization happening, at least in v18 and v19. Earlier versions had a lot of issues with synchronization. Still, if you have one unit playing 16/44.1 ALAC files and another up sampling everything to DSD128, there are issues. If you have everything going out as 16/44.1, it synchronizes pretty well. Airplay, on the other paw, works perfectly. But then, it forces everything to be 16/44.1, and of course, synchronization is one of the reasons why.

Still, this is one the areas I wish JRiver would work on more. I get the impression they believe the issue is solved with DNLA, but there is a lot of room for improvement. In the meantime, it does work very well indeed if you playing different material in different zones. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Still, this is one the areas I wish JRiver would work on more. I get the impression they believe the issue is solved with DNLA, but there is a lot of room for improvement. In the meantime, it does work very well indeed if you playing different material in different zones. :)

-Paul

I believe the current DLNA spec doesn't provide support for synchronised playback, so it would be some achievement indeed if JRiver has managed a work around in software.

The DLNA spec does take into account the playing of different files by different DLNA renderers from the same media library provided by the DLNA server, or even the same file (just don't expect it to be in sync).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox