IGNORED

Inwall or Ceiling Speakers

Before I start treading through the entire internet, does anyone have any recommendations for wall or ceiling speakers? Due to my wife asking for "big" Keilidh speakers to disappear I am contemplating the replacements. Right now the system is 2-channel but I if I went through the excercise of doing two, I will do five speakers.

Budget has to be reasonable, say $500-1K per speaker, but I do not want crap. This is my main system.

Thanks, Chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Before I start treading through the entire internet, does anyone have any recommendations for wall or ceiling speakers? Due to my wife asking for "big" Keilidh speakers to disappear I am contemplating the replacements. Right now the system is 2-channel but I if I went through the excercise of doing two, I will do five speakers.

Budget has to be reasonable, say $500-1K per speaker, but I do not want crap. This is my main system.

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

Is ON-wall a possibility?

If so, you might want to consider and perhaps audition, Magnepan's designs.

Special Time-Limited 30-Day, Home-Trial Offer

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

I don't know where these might lie in the spectrum of audiophile but I had a friend who wanted to make a similar move for similar reasons. We came across a series of Speakercraft ceiling speakers. Two things that appealed were what appeared to be a fairly robust driver construction. Another feature that seem to make sense was there pivot design. You can actually pivot them across two axis to effectively point or "toe-in" to try and maximize presentation. He put them together with a Marantz AVR 7007. I would recommend that you find a place for at least a small subwoofwer.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Also add the PMC Wafer to the list. Both on-wall and in-wall versions are available.

On/In wall would certainly be better than in ceiling IMO.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well, they aren't 1k per speaker ...more like 1.3K per (list)...but M&K IW-150 pretty much blow doors off anything else in or on wall. And they're in-wall, almost flush, paintable grilles, pretty much disappear. Could possibly be had for 1K each if you find a good dealer. The website is pretty goofy. MK Sound | Professional Loudspeakers | Home Loudspeakers | Home Theater Sound Systems These would be the in wall version of the S-150 which is the "reference" for the film industry for smaller facilities, pretty much everywhere.

PM me if you want the guy I use.

Thank you for all the ideas. I will check them out.

On-Wall vs Inwall/ceiling. On wall may be difficult. Certainly doable for the fronts but the center and surrounds might not work. I should post a pic or two but the main speakers are on either side of the fireplace which juts out into the room a couple of feet. Essentially two alcoves are formed. The TV is mounted above the fireplace. Both side walls are windows and glass doors...one to the front and one to the rear. Brings in the outside (neighborhood lot size is 1.5 acres; play loud and do not disturb the neighbors:-)). Ceiling is A-shaped and slopes from 9' to 11'. The back wall is 100% bookshelves and 80% loaded.

I was actually thinking of something along the lines of the Thiel Powerpoints, http:www.thielaudio.com/products/on-wallin-wall-models/powerpoint-1-2/ but the sloped ceiling may not work.

Whatever I propose will have to meet the WAF test. The M&K sound great especially if I can paint the grills and "hide" them. Although do the grills come textured, aka heavy orange peel? Ha!

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Thank you for all the ideas. I will check them out.

On-Wall vs Inwall/ceiling. On wall may be difficult. Certainly doable for the fronts but the center and surrounds might not work. I should post a pic or two but the main speakers are on either side of the fireplace which juts out into the room a couple of feet. Essentially two alcoves are formed. The TV is mounted above the fireplace. Both side walls are windows and glass doors...one to the front and one to the rear. Brings in the outside (neighborhood lot size is 1.5 acres; play loud and do not disturb the neighbors:-)). Ceiling is A-shaped and slopes from 9' to 11'. The back wall is 100% bookshelves and 80% loaded.

I was actually thinking of something along the lines of the Thiel Powerpoints, http:www.thielaudio.com/products/on-wallin-wall-models/powerpoint-1-2/ but the sloped ceiling may not work.

Whatever I propose will have to meet the WAF test. The M&K sound great especially if I can paint the grills and "hide" them. Although do the grills come textured, aka heavy orange peel? Ha!

I don't envy you having to let go of the Linns. There are in walls from both Linn and KEF that will work in your situation and then use their in ceilings for the rears.

You should definitely listen to the Thiels. Not my cup of tea but they can be an alternative especially if you have the ability to tame them somewhat with an A/V receiver.

David

The Genelec 8030 active studio monitors comes in white so they will blend nicely in if you have a modern decor.

Stick it on the wall with the appropriate bracket and set the bass tilt to -6 dB and you are off.

58 Hz - 20 kHz (± 2 dB)

100 dB @ 1m

Size: H x W x D 299 x 189 x 178 mm (12 x 7,4 x 7")

USD 699,- on Amazon

Fantastic sound for the size and prize.

Additionally you save another box: the amp.

My son has these, and even I were impressed with how much they pack in that small aluminium body.

8030.png

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

DSC03109.JPG

DSC03108.JPG

Do the Celestials and pedestals have to stay?

Probably. I am not going to be able to dedicate that space to just speakers. If the pedestals leave, something else will take their place. We have talked about replacing the celestials with something smaller and putting mirrors on the wall.

Note that I am not being "told" to do this. Just was asked to see if I could replace the big, ugly boxes. She "heard" there were speakers that could go in the wall/ceiling and if I could make a change. LOL. I have some time to research.

Probably. I am not going to be able to dedicate that space to just speakers. If the pedestals leave, something else will take their place. We have talked about replacing the celestials with something smaller and putting mirrors on the wall.

Note that I am not being "told" to do this. Just was asked to see if I could replace the big, ugly boxes. She "heard" there were speakers that could go in the wall/ceiling and if I could make a change. LOL. I have some time to research.

Have you tried marriage counselling?

(Sorry, but somebody had to bring it up)

Have you tried marriage counselling?

(Sorry, but somebody had to bring it up)

No, not really needed. Her request is reasonable and I can usually get something I want out of a change. The TV above the fireplace was her idea so she would not have to go upstairs. I got the Oppo, ethernet run downstairs, antenna on the roof, and a sub (hidden in corner behind left speaker) in the deal. I only lost on the size of the TV. For this one I am looking to perhaps upgrade and simplify the electronics to a one box.

The trick is I really like the sound of the Linn equipment, and the "British" sound in general, even with it being 15 years old (2250 is bit newer) and I like the turntable (that does drive her crazy). Perhaps an Arcam or NAD MCH with the right speakers will come close. Doesn't NAIM make a MCH? Frankly I may have to spend more time on this!

OOOhh...that was harsh!

OK, let me try from a different angle.

Looking at the room and those speakers, it's hard to guess that they pose any problem.

Ergo, it is likely that the problem stems from something else and is just released as: honey, could you please get rid of those speakers.

The response of a man is to be very technical and to get white speakers or put them in the ceiling.

She is most likely hoping for something entirely different and emotional.

Now: Have you tried marriage counselling?

And I'm sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree :-)

No, not really needed. Her request is reasonable and I can usually get something I want out of a change. The TV above the fireplace was her idea so she would not have to go upstairs. I got the Oppo, ethernet run downstairs, antenna on the roof, and a sub (hidden in corner behind left speaker) in the deal. I only lost on the size of the TV. For this one I am looking to perhaps upgrade and simplify the electronics to a one box.

The trick is I really like the sound of the Linn equipment, and the "British" sound in general, even with it being 15 years old (2250 is bit newer) and I like the turntable (that does drive her crazy). Perhaps an Arcam or NAD MCH with the right speakers will come close. Doesn't NAIM make a MCH? Frankly I may have to spend more time on this!

NAD will not come close to the Linn, Arcam possibly closer. There are some gorgeous floor standing speakers available today with beautiful wood finishes so you might be able to just swap something more attractive for the black Linns. I personally never liked black boxes either so don't blame her for wanting to replace them.

David

Interesting. Stealth Acoustics has been doing that for years, basically the same idea. They even boast a "home theater" product. I've installed a few of their speakers (not the HT version), and yes they are completely invisible. Yes, they sound "decent". I've also auditioned several other invisible in-wall speakers. All of them have similar issues, foremost of which is that with a big flat fairly rigid diaphragm that is operating in breakup continuously, they're never going to be really high-end quality. Artcoustic has a different approach, basically lots of little drivers to make up a thin flat panel you can cover with "art". That solves the problem of operating in diaphragm breakup, and they do also sound decent, but not up to the performance of well designed speakers of a more standard approach, and not really invisible, they are really camouflaged as art .

For invisible speakers that really do sound good you have to look at something that started life as a real high quality speaker, then got morphed into an in-wall version that has a paintable flush grille. The M&K IW-150 is just that, as are some of the Definitive products, and others. It's a slight trade to less total invisibility but far better sound quality.

Thanks to all who replied. Much info for me to peruse. I have no urgency and will review all suggestions but I have no urgency and will proceed as I have time. thank you,

Chris

How bout replacing the pedestals with speakers that look like pedestals? Clearly there's enough enclosure volume available for a full range tower speaker system. I design speakers as a hobby if you're interested in some ideas.

thanks but I am the type of engineer (chemical) that relies on the techs to do the hands-on work. At least as much as possible.

chris