Hi Help Need To Know, I Have An Asus Computer N56J Series...Have MP3's And Movies....Sounds Horrible...Need To Know What Can I Put From My Computer To My Pre-amp To My Amp...Would A Dac From My Computer To My preAmp Or Tube Buffer ? And Or What Type !

How are you connecting it now and what sounds bad?

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Even using the headphone jack (not great) it usually isn't in the tinny or in the horrible category. It makes me think perhaps there are setting(s) from the computer down which aren't optimal. I am not a whole lot of help on the PC but my suspicion is that one of either the system volume settings or software volume settings may be off. You are turning up on your Jolida but there isn't much of a whole signal to amplify...so, tin.

I would look into this first and then perhaps start browsing dacs next...they should outpace the chip in your Asus even starting with something like the $99 Schiit modi and it gets better from there.

Running well, the sound should be very smooth and makes tube buffers something of the past. No big problems to cover-up and hide. So they are best avoided.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Yep, a USB dac will go from computer>USB>dac>RCA Outs>pre-amp.

Until you get things sorted upstream though it is likely to have the same issues.

Someone from the PC side is likely to pop-in and tell you where volume settings are to check. If not you might start another thread asking for help with that specifically or do a google search or two.

I completely agree with Savage. I can think of a couple of extra things to try. When you listen to music or watch movies with headphones on your Asus, does it still sound tinny? If so, it's either your music/movie files themselves or it's the headphone jack so a USB DAC should get you the sound you want. And with other sources to the Jolida, I presume you don't get tinny sound? One other thing is that headphone output implementation varies amongst manufacturers. In theory, as Savage pointed out, you probably want to maximize your volume from the headphone jack so that Jolida gets the most signal to amplifier. However, sometimes, the maximal volume setting off the Asus is clipped and will create distortion so you may actually want to set the volume slightly below maximum, say 80-90% of maximum and use the Jolida to amplify some more. This may be particularly the case if the sound is great on headphones at lower volume settings on the Asus but it sounds tinny off your stereo.

I have an Asus laptop and booted it up and took a look. On this, Asus has their own volume control widget which seems to take precedent over system settings. On mine it is called RealTek audio setting and is also available through the control panel. So aside from the typical audio control/volume setting in control panel there is a second place to look. Also the software itself for either movies or music playback will have a volume setting (here I am unsure if that is slaved to control panel volume or not)

I think ecwl is right when he says it may clip if everything is at 100% and in one of these 3 places you're likely to find a 80-90% setting works best.

Yep, a USB dac will go from computer>USB>dac>RCA Outs>pre-amp.

Until you get things sorted upstream though it is likely to have the same issues.

Someone from the PC side is likely to pop-in and tell you where volume settings are to check. If not you might start another thread asking for help with that specifically or do a google search or two.

If you use a USB DAC and a good software program like J-River, the internal settings in the PC are bypassed and the signal is passed to the DAC undamaged (or so I believe)....

You can get much better sound for under $200 with an Audioquest Dragonfly and J-River software...

Amazon.com: AUDIOQUEST - DRAGONFLY V1.2 USB DAC: Electronics

JRiver Media Center software

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

If you use a USB DAC and a good software program like J-River, the internal settings in the PC are bypassed and the signal is passed to the DAC undamaged (or so I believe)....

You can get much better sound for under $200 with an Audioquest Dragonfly and J-River software...

Amazon.com: AUDIOQUEST - DRAGONFLY V1.2 USB DAC: Electronics

JRiver Media Center software

I tried, and the RealTek audio setting doesn't get by-passed...perhaps with JRiver vs Foobar though. I had also noticed that it had reset itself to 50% on it's own...an update or something. It's kind of a gremlin.