IGNORED

How to connect USB DAC to my PC Soundcard??

Hello all.

Can I connect my Arcam rDAC to my PC's Soundcard?

Output goes to powered Audio Engine A2's

Thanks!

Gallo Ref 3.5 < Velodyne DD15 < Parasound A21 < Gallo Ref SA < Metric Halo LIO-8 < Mac Mini < Decibel and Audirvana < Pro-ject 9.1 w/ Grado Statement Master

Can I connect my Arcam rDAC to my PC's Soundcard?

Are you talking about your internal sound card? As Chris said, you can connect your DAC via USB or via digital out of your sound card. Look for S/PDIF in your sound device's documentation. You might have optical out, then you will need a TOSLink fibre optical "cable'" or coaxial out, which requires a 75 Ohm coaxial cable (looks like a single RCA link, but is not).

Some internal cards don't have a digital out, some plug-in cards have both, possibly via a break-out connector. Make and model would help. The Arcam has both (and in addition USB, see Chris' remark).

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

A USB DAC works like an external USB sound card.

Unless the USB input of your DAC is poorly implemented, it will be better than connecting the S/PDIF output of your sound card to the S/PDIF input of your DAC, because of lower jitter.

Claude, while I agree in principle, if we are talking about the old Arcam rDAC that was launched back in 2009?, the USB implementation is probably not state of the art compared to what we have today.

So in this case I'd follow Iago's suggestions and try optical out. But in the end, the OP should use his own ears and see what works better.

Claude, while I agree in principle, if we are talking about the old Arcam rDAC that was launched back in 2009?, the USB implementation is probably not state of the art compared to what we have today.

So in this case I'd follow Iago's suggestions and try optical out. But in the end, the OP should use his own ears and see what works better.

Yes, I am able to uses the soundcard optical output to my Arcam rDac. Was hoping to try the USB output to the Arcams USB input......

Gallo Ref 3.5 < Velodyne DD15 < Parasound A21 < Gallo Ref SA < Metric Halo LIO-8 < Mac Mini < Decibel and Audirvana < Pro-ject 9.1 w/ Grado Statement Master

With USB, there can be driver/configuration issues. Check the installation instructions (FAQ PDF) on the Arcam page:

rDAC / rDAC-kw - USB DACs - Arcam

catmando!

Thank you. FAQ link answered my problem.

USB working now and I think sounds better than optical.

Gracias!

catmando!

Thank you. FAQ link answered my problem.

USB working now and I think sounds better than optical.

Gracias!

Not surprised, toslink is inferior because there seems to be more jitter associated with that interface more often then not.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers