IGNORED

Latest Mac Rumor: iTunes to introduce 24 bit hirez in June launch

ted_b

Don't get too excited. The rumor is attributed to "music blogger Robert Hutton".

:D

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Robert has an understanding of the music industry, certainly vocal enough to be the first to announce?

In any case, if it's true, there are going to be FFT spectra, en masse, to see if 256k AAC files are converted to AIFF or ALAC, rather than from 'original' copies and copies of masters.

ITunes would then have to auto sample rate to maintain existing AAC and hires libraries, OMG, what a technical challenge that is.

Will iTunes resort to bundling, like HDtracks and Super Hirez?

Will iTunes offer FLAC or DSD? Will the moon turn bright green? Questions, questions.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Don't get too excited. The rumor is attributed to "music blogger Robert Hutton".

Actually, I just checked out his blog. It is rather nicely done. I know he was banned here for rather inappropriate behavior, but he certainly added some value on some of the music threads.

MUSIC DISCUSSION and Audio, Vinyl, related thoughts.

That said, I don't believe the Itunes rumor one bit.

Actually, I just checked out his blog. It is rather nicely done. I know he was banned here for rather inappropriate behavior, but he certainly added some value on some of the music threads.

I purchased Clockwork Angels on vinyl based on his recommendation here. He was way off the mark on this as far as sound goes. He's called it right on some other things though.

Nor do I. They've yet to even offer CD quality, so I can't imagine them taking the bigger leap to 24 bit.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The "Mastered for iTunes" AAC 256 files are better than original CDs.

But I don't believe in HD 24bits also. Or AAC 256k 24 bits...maybe :)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

We've all heard this before..since 2011. I'll believe it when I see it.

DE.

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

The "Mastered for iTunes" AAC 256 files are better than original CDs.

You forgot the joke icon.

I too don't believe the hi-res iTunes rumor. It would require genetic modification of the management.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I fully agree. I for one am indebted to him for his CA posts, which made me discover discs that have become my #1 choice for Beethoven's symphonies (over many other boxes): Karajan's interpretations live in Japan in the 1970s, on Tokyo FM SACDs.

I agree once more. As long as iPods, iPads and iPhones do not play high-res content, why would Apple even think of selling high-res files?

Of course, prospects may change if Apple implements high-res playback capacity on new models.

• 1 month later...