IGNORED

Geek Wave from LH

Geek Wave: Make Smartphone Sound, Sound Better

Geek Temple :: Topic: Geek Wave Indiegogo Campaign (1/1)

No offense Larry, but you gotta delete that Pono part. It is just looking really bad, considering some nasty issues between you guys and Audioquest/iFi at non other than this very forum. It is not a great idea to just trash-talking Pono like this, and this can backfire if not handled well.

No offense Larry, but you gotta delete that Pono part. It is just looking really bad, considering some nasty issues between you guys and Audioquest/iFi at non other than this very forum. It is not a great idea to just trash-talking Pono like this, and this can backfire if not handled well.

Looks like a perfect way to reduce your battery life to 10 minutes

Looks like a perfect way to reduce your battery life to 10 minutes

It does come with a 3000mah battery of it's own which aside from handling audio and amplification can also charge your phone.

Same sentiments with the Pono mention. Larry & Pono have the same goal of bringing high(er) quality audio to the general public at a low price. They have just chosen different ways of getting there. Even though they are competition probably best to avoid trying to take a bite out of each other.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

It does come with a 3000mah battery of it's own which aside from handling audio and amplification can also charge your phone.

Same sentiments with the Pono mention. Larry & Pono have the same goal of bringing high(er) quality audio to the general public at a low price. They have just chosen different ways of getting there. Even though they are competition probably best to avoid trying to take a bite out of each other.

I finally watch their deadly boring and pretty much content free video. Lots of be about how they like raising money and not sharing equity if its successful and how they claim to now know more about batteries and power management than anyone else. What I didn't see was the most elementary spec sheet. If it has a battery, what's its standalone battery life? What does it weigh.

+1

You can find more specs on their Indiegogo page

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-your-mobile-life-amplified/x/4273304

Liking

Plays DSD, High rate PCM & Streaming services

250+ GB storage

Plays through the phone you're already carrying around

$399

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I wonder how this compares to say, the iFi iDSD Nano? The Nano selling at $180.

-Paul

You can find more specs on their Indiegogo page

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-your-mobile-life-amplified/x/4273304

Liking

Plays DSD, High rate PCM & Streaming services

250+ GB storage

Plays through the phone you're already carrying around

$399

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I wonder how this compares to say, the iFi iDSD Nano? The Nano selling at $180.

-Paul

I now have the GO from the Kickstarter campaign. It is amazingly good I would love to have an iDSD on hand to put it up against. Betting the pros will take a stab at gathering portables for a head to head before too long though.

I now have the GO from the Kickstarter campaign. It is amazingly good I would love to have an iDSD on hand to put it up against. Betting the pros will take a stab at gathering portables for a head to head before too long though.

Which version of Geek Out did you receive? I backed that campaign (and the Geek Pulse) as an early adopter (first 300 units), but have yet to receive it. Probably because I went with the standard output level version.

As for the Wave, $469 ($649 when released) for the iPhone version may be tough for some people. And given the unknown challenges involved, combined with the dozen other products/variations they are already committed to with Out and Pulse campaigns, I truly doubt that Geek Wave will ship before this time next year.

Which version of Geek Out did you receive? I backed that campaign (and the Geek Pulse) as an early adopter (first 300 units), but have yet to receive it. Probably because I went with the standard output level version.

As for the Wave, $469 ($649 when released) for the iPhone version may be tough for some people. And given the unknown challenges involved, combined with the dozen other products/variations they are already committed to with Out and Pulse campaigns, I truly doubt that Geek Wave will ship before this time next year.

I think that's it Alex, I received the 1000mw version and backed at the $119 level. These models have been shipping out first. I think the standard version goes out last. I have been keeping an eye out to see if you have gotten yours and what impressions you may have.

Like I imagine many of the Kickstarter projects they are getting an education in outsourcing. It certainly sounds simple to send out files to PCB and assembly facilities but it's not tough to imagine where things get complicated or just go wrong after that. Also delivery dependencies on every electrical component on the inside to a fairly new and small customer. Typically as a consumer we rarely see or hear about any of this and I think perhaps ignorance is bliss :D

Even for the Kickstarter GO, it sounds like they are using multiple facilities now across the US and don't have all the eggs in one Sacramento facility basket. This should help speed up the Pulse and Wave once they start in.

I am wondering why there is a $70 premium for the i model. Does Apple get a chunk of this or is it something else?

Like I imagine many of the Kickstarter projects they are getting an education in outsourcing. It certainly sounds simple to send out files to PCB and assembly facilities but it's not tough to imagine where things get complicated or just go wrong after that. Also delivery dependencies on every electrical component on the inside to a fairly new and small customer. Typically as a consumer we rarely see or hear about any of this and I think perhaps ignorance is bliss :D

Sadly, having lived it, I no longer possess the bliss of ignorance. At Hovland, we had a room which accumulated over the years literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of rejected/defective machined aluminum chassis pieces and electronic parts. Great fun is when vendor down stream blames a vendor upstream--or those in the middle point the other way.

Oversimplified real example:

1) Pay $115 each for run of large, special 38mm thick super flat aluminum plates from TCI (the big raw supplier everyone uses)--for the Sapphire tube amp, the one that made the cover of Stereophile;

2) Pay $260 each for custom machining of plates by local machine shop;

3) Take plates to finisher's for graining/anodizing;

4) Get back garbage with pitting and other problems;

5) Drive around meeting and arguing over whose fault it is;

6) Determine the original material was bad;

7) Get refund from none of the vendors; Eat it all and add to the pile in the "losses room."

Lather, rinse, repeat over the years with everything under the sun. Close doors and haul all of it to the recycling center and collect $830 for a few hundred pounds of 6061 aluminum.

We never outsourced board stuffing (virtually all through-hole parts and point-to-point wiring harnesses back them), but I'm sure that offers ample headaches at times. I do wish the Light Harmonic folks well. I just hope their eyes are not bigger than their stomach as the saying goes.

Sadly, having lived it, I no longer possess the bliss of ignorance. At Hovland, we had a room which accumulated over the years literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of rejected/defective machined aluminum chassis pieces and electronic parts. Great fun is when vendor down stream blames a vendor upstream--or those in the middle point the other way.

Oversimplified real example:

1) Pay $115 each for run of large, special 38mm thick super flat aluminum plates from TCI (the big raw supplier everyone uses)--for the Sapphire tube amp, the one that made the cover of Stereophile;

2) Pay $260 each for custom machining of plates by local machine shop;

3) Take plates to finisher's for graining/anodizing;

4) Get back garbage with pitting and other problems;

5) Drive around meeting and arguing over whose fault it is;

6) Determine the original material was bad;

7) Get refund from none of the vendors; Eat it all and add to the pile in the "losses room."

Lather, rinse, repeat over the years with everything under the sun. Close doors and haul all of it to the recycling center and collect $830 for a few hundred pounds of 6061 aluminum.

We never outsourced board stuffing (virtually all through-hole parts and point-to-point wiring harnesses back them), but I'm sure that offers ample headaches at times. I do wish the Light Harmonic folks well. I just hope their eyes are not bigger than their stomach as the saying goes.

I had a very bad case of Hovland envy. The ID was massively ahead of the curve and would probably be right at home hitting the market today. Hearing about recycling..nooooo

Over at Head-Fi Jason Stoddard is talking about just the sort of chassis, etc. issues you've described, Alex, in his thread "Schiit Happened...."

Re the GO, the regular units will supposedly start shipping Monday, but are also supposedly going through 100% QC checking before going out the door, so....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Over at Head-Fi Jason Stoddard is talking about just the sort of chassis, etc. issues you've described, Alex, in his thread "Schiit Happened...."

Yeah, I read his latest chapters every Wednesday. I laugh, I cry, I wonder why I am about dive into product production once again! Sheer stupidity I'm sure. Plus, it's all I know…and love.

Larry as I learn about what this is, I am less sure what it is.

My current take is that it is a Mini music server and dac with storage and playback software and only the interface is controlled by bluetooth through the phone. I am also guessing that for streaming music services/movies/music stored on phone that the phone is passing info to the wave in this case. The central question here is around the playback software...is this close to correct?

Other questions -

The Phone and the Wave need not be connected?

Can the Wave control some playback completely away from the phone UI - pause, play skip etc

You will have your own LH playback software that resides on the Wave

You will have you own LH UI software that resides on the phone

For me the 256g addition makes it a big deal. I also liked the fact that they are looking for best way to carry it. I have a fiio x3 with an amp and to be honest is to much stuff to carry in addition to the phone. Other IOS DACs are nice but don't have the extra memory.

We have the meeting today. And that part has been removed. ;-)

We will keep improving the video according to your feedbacks.

Thank you!!

Larry

---

Engineer, programmer, entrepreneur and music lover

Light Harmonic Labs

http://www.Lightharmonic.com

http://www.facebook.com/LightHarmonic

Larry as I learn about what this is, I am less sure what it is.

My current take is that it is a Mini music server and dac with storage and playback software and only the interface is controlled by bluetooth through the phone. I am also guessing that for streaming music services/movies/music stored on phone that the phone is passing info to the wave in this case. The central question here is around the playback software...is this close to correct?

Other questions -

The Phone and the Wave need not be connected?

Can the Wave control some playback completely away from the phone UI - pause, play skip etc

You will have your own LH playback software that resides on the Wave

You will have you own LH UI software that resides on the phone

You are right.

Geek Wave and phone could be both connected and un-connected.

When connected, Geek Wave could act like Phone's DAC. Getting music samples from phone.

This is a TWO in ONE design.

And there will be a software on the Phone. And that could remote control the Geek Wave.

About the physical buttons, it's been discussed in Geek Forum. Now the plan is to have Play/Pause, Previous and Next.

Thanks

---

Light Harmonic Labs

All Geek Out 1000mW will be out tomorrow, maybe very few left for Saturday. And we complete the first part.

Geek Out 450 will be the next, the new testing points/procedures/audio precision script has been made too. Some of the pilot units are under the test, so far so good....

We really run these little guys heavily under the test. So actually a lot of them should already reach the burn-in status.. ;-)

Kelly and Rich is working so hard to meet the quality standard and ship out as quick as possible.

And yes, we learned a lot from this process.

Larry

I think that's it Alex, I received the 1000mw version and backed at the $119 level. These models have been shipping out first. I think the standard version goes out last. I have been keeping an eye out to see if you have gotten yours and what impressions you may have.

Even for the Kickstarter GO, it sounds like they are using multiple facilities now across the US and don't have all the eggs in one Sacramento facility basket. This should help speed up the Pulse and Wave once they start in.

I am wondering why there is a $70 premium for the i model. Does Apple get a chunk of this or is it something else?

---

Light Harmonic Labs

All Geek Out 1000mW will be out tomorrow, maybe very few left for Saturday. And we complete the first part.

Geek Out 450 will be the next, the new testing points/procedures/audio precision script has been made too. Some of the pilot units are under the test, so far so good....

We really run these little guys heavily under the test. So actually a lot of them should already reach the burn-in status.. ;-)

Kelly and Rich is working so hard to meet the quality standard and ship out as quick as possible.

And yes, we learned a lot from this process.

Larry

Thank you for the updates Mr. Ho. I look forward to receiving my Geek Out 450.

I also backed the Geek Pulse campaign early, but am still confused about when to expect to receive my basic Pulse DAC. Looking at the Pulse's Indiegogo page and the campaign updates, it appears to say to expect shipment somewhere between April and July. That is a pretty wide time window. Can you quote a more specific month for when to expect delivery?

Kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

This is from the LH labs site and is a basic summation of current delivery goals.

Geek Pulse: June 15th to July 15th

Geek Pulse X AND X f : July 15th to August 15th

Geek Pulse S AND S f: August 15th to September 15th

You are right.

Geek Wave and phone could be both connected and un-connected.

When connected, Geek Wave could act like Phone's DAC. Getting music samples from phone.

This is a TWO in ONE design.

And there will be a software on the Phone. And that could remote control the Geek Wave.

About the physical buttons, it's been discussed in Geek Forum. Now the plan is to have Play/Pause, Previous and Next.

Thanks

Thank you Larry,

I cannot log into the LH forum or I would hound you there. :P

I mention it because others may be affected too. I receive a page that displays only token error.

With the different models (Samsung & Apple) the only difference is the connecting cable or is there a case difference between these for each type of phone?