IGNORED

Silicon Valley (Lossless Compression)

..... my favorite show for decades has been PBS's "Nova." Fox and NatGeo's "Cosmos" has been excellent - hope it gives kids the same air of excitement and mystery about science I had (and still do, come to think of it). Those old Frank Capra Bell Telephone science specials were pretty fabulous, for the handful of you who are, well uhm, old.

Hey Jud......

If you grew up in PA, do you remember this guy?

Julius is one of the reasons I always had a love of science & physics.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQuAIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBwk UNrSCNMg&ei=P7lGU52cCuO22AWon4HwBw&usg=AFQjCNENJUjizDxVW1TZixPnKDn_Se5TCw&bvm=bv.64507335,d.b2I

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

ESPN is one of the major problems with cable TV. It won't allow all its ESPN channels to be placed in a Sports package for sport loving users to purchase. Its contract with the cable companies says it must be in the normal packages. Plus, the sports channels are the most expensive. ESPN know many people wouldn't subscribe to its channels if they knew the cost.

To expand, sports, in general, drive the high costs of cable providers. Greed plus greed.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Neither are House of Cards. Best show on "TV"

If you like House of Cards you should try the original. Also the original of State of Play.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

ESPN is one of the major problems with cable TV. It won't allow all its ESPN channels to be placed in a Sports package for sport loving users to purchase. Its contract with the cable companies says it must be in the normal packages. Plus, the sports channels are the most expensive. ESPN know many people wouldn't subscribe to its channels if they knew the cost.

As an outsider ... is part of the problem that ESPN (and its ilk) is becoming increasingly marginalised for the dedicated sports fan with sports like MLB launching their own streaming services?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

We cut our cable a few years ago...watch the occasional "over the air" broadcast but largely watch Netflix, buy seasons of TV from iTunes and purchase Blue-ray. I would quickly subscribe and happily pay a monthly fee for on-line HBO streaming but the suits at that end don't seem to have the imagination to see this potential market. The cable/satellite providers are the last bastion of walled content and they're feeling the pinch. If only Jobs were still around to go head to head with this group armed with the capital he amassed for Apple.

For lovers of British TV, I suggest you check out Acorn TV...a full-time, subscription based, streaming of all the usual programs.....video quality if not the best for some but passable. Sometimes TV watching is just that....TV watching with some expectation of entertainment. Modern TV is more akin to punishment than entertainment. (As in, are we really that dull-witted?)

As an outsider ... is part of the problem that ESPN (and its ilk) is becoming increasingly marginalised for the dedicated sports fan with sports like MLB launching their own streaming services?

Eloise

Nope. Streaming has become more popular, but that starts from a base of nothing. ESPN has been nearly the only thing keeping MLB alive (to the extent it is ) on a national level for years. It is precisely because ESPN is thought of as essential for the younger male cohort that it has such negotiating power with cable companies and satellite TV.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The thing about TV is it is a remarkably versatile device, as it allows you to be entertained in the comfort of your own living room by a bunch of people you would never ever allow to set foot in your house.

The thing about recorded music is it is remarkably versatile, as it allows you to be entertained in the comfort of your own living room by a bunch of people you would never ever allow to set foot in your house.

Dave, who watches a bunch of TV without cable but with things like Netflix and Hulu Plus and renting shows through iTunes on the Apple TV box and even borrowing a password or two for things like HBO GO and agrees that there are so many excellent to very very good shows around and his current interest is called "Orphan Black" from BBC America

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

The thing about recorded music is it is remarkably versatile, as it allows you to be entertained in the comfort of your own living room by a bunch of people you would never ever allow to set foot in your house.

Dave, who watches a bunch of TV without cable but with things like Netflix and Hulu Plus and renting shows through iTunes on the Apple TV box and even borrowing a password or two for things like HBO GO and agrees that there are so many excellent to very very good shows around and his current interest is called "Orphan Black" from BBC America

The thing about Internet forums is they are remarkably versatile, they allow you to be entertained in the comfort of your own living room by a bunch of people you would never ever allow to set foot in your house.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I would quickly subscribe and happily pay a monthly fee for on-line HBO streaming but the suits at that end don't seem to have the imagination to see this potential market. The cable/satellite providers...

It's not a question of imagination at HBO.

It's a question of those cable providers, who give HBO -- at this stage -- far more money than a standalone HBO service would get.

In fact, I think it's highly imaginative that the president of HBO said he doesn't mind people sharing their passwords with others, because that helps create new customers for his premium channel.

The thing about Internet forums is they are remarkably versatile, they allow you to be entertained in the comfort of your own living room by a bunch of people you would never ever allow to set foot in your house.

Oh, Chris, I hardly ever slobber when I eat.

You mean I can't come by for dinner?!?

It's not a question of imagination at HBO.

It's a question of those cable providers, who give HBO -- at this stage -- far more money than a standalone HBO service would get.

In fact, I think it's highly imaginative that the president of HBO said he doesn't mind people sharing their passwords with others, because that helps create new customers for his premium channel.

It would be interesting to see how much Netflix gets from subscribers versus what HBO gets from cable companies. I'm guessing many of the Netflix subscribers are the same people who would subscribe directly to HBO.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Going back to Chris's recommendation. Silicon Valley is a pretty unique show that is quite enjoyable. I can see most computer audiophile forum participants enjoying it. Besides, if you're already paying HBO for Game of Thrones or Veep...

It would be interesting to see how much Netflix gets from subscribers versus what HBO gets from cable companies. I'm guessing many of the Netflix subscribers are the same people who would subscribe directly to HBO.

Many would be the same, most definitely.

But as big as the HBO GO library is, the Netflix library dwarfs HBO's.

Yes, although Netflix's choices are not necessarily the same level of quality throughout as HBO -- and even HBO has some real losers -- Netflix offers wider appeal to audiences.

Say if you have children -- there's tons on Netflix, and also on Amazon Prime Video, for kids. That's not true for HBO.

You know how it is -- markets and contracts don't necessarily match up with logic, especially the logic of those of us who are really kind of ahead of the game (and are therefore really a small minority) when it comes to consuming content -- TV, music, movies, books -- via digital.

For you guys who missed the point, the special sauce wasn't fast lossless compression, but that it was searchable. Of course, back in the real world, you can do lossless wavelet compression that you can quickly decompress enough detail to search on it, but the story is ok.

Oh yes, Orphan Black! New season starting soon. Can't wait.

Speaking of black, Fargo premieres this next Tuesday. Oh Billy Bob; oh Martim Freeman; oh Bob Odenkirk--here we come.

We aren't very excited about that here...don ya know

When you watch it, you can imagine Chris having this exact same accent :D

I've seen that HBO gets $7.00 per month from the cable companies for each subscriber. Yep, I would pay that directly along with the $8.00 Netflix already gets. From viewing habits at home vs listening habits I am betting the TV doesn't get a very fair shake with this crowd though.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Totally agree...a significant percentage, perhaps a minority percentage, but large enough to make a business case for it.

We aren't very excited about that here...don ya know

When you watch it, you can imagine Chris having this exact same accent :D

I've seen that HBO gets $7.00 per month from the cable companies for each subscriber. Yep, I would pay that directly along with the $8.00 Netflix already gets. From viewing habits at home vs listening habits I am betting the TV doesn't get a very fair shake with this crowd though.

It would seem like the sensible thing for HBO and similar services to do is make their content available through NetFlix - at a small premium perhaps. $4/month.

Otherwise, they need to come up with subscription services and maintenance and all that jazz. Why bother when they have a ready made audience of millions with NetFlix?

Or iTunes or even Amazon Prime.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein